“Quaint and Comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Intercourse
Baltimore, MD
“Quaint and Comfortable”
Reviewed June 11, 2008

There are so many places to stay in Lancaster, it was hard to choose. Since we were only staying one night, something comfortable, and not too expensive was what we were looking for. The Travelers Rest Motel came through on both counts. I was pretty much expecting the basics, but the motel was above average in atmosphere - very cozy. The continental breakfast that was provided was more than adequate. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Convenience to attractions; cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kesslkat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Waynesboro, VA
Reviewed October 8, 2007

This hotel was wonderful! We called to let them know that we would be arriving after check-in hours and they graciously offered to put our key under our mat outside our room and allowed us to check in the next morning.

The hotel was very, very clean and very, very large. I liked the fact that the sink was outside of the shower/toilet area.

The hotel location couldn't be better for sightseeing the Amish country. The hotel staff was very helpful and the complimentary breakfast was delicious.

My only recommendation would be to sign up for the hotel's free tour of Amish country in advance. We waited until we were there to sign up and it was already booked.

I would recommend this hotel to friends and family and I plan to stay there again when revisting Amish country.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Hightstown, New Jersey
Reviewed February 20, 2007

We booked this motel to experience Amish country for a couple of days. The trip started off with a beautiful drive through Amish country through to the motel. We saw the buggies and the roadside stands that you read about.
Check-in was easy. Our room was ready right away. It was a very cute room with a seating area in addition to the bed and typical fixtures. The room also had a coffee maker which we used.
The continental breakfast had real PA Dutch pastries from the Bird-in-Hand Bakery.
They arranged a nice bus tour which took you to some typical Amish spots to see quilts, homemade root beer, wood crafts, etc. They also gave you multiple coupons and a meal vouchers good at a few local restaurants. They also had maps and gave you suggestions for short trips to see other things in the region (Lancaster City, Lititz, Rootz).
Check-out was also easy. All-in-all it sets the bar for your PA Dutch Country stay.

Stayed April 2004
4 Thank DSXM
Kiwi in Texas
Reviewed November 27, 2006

We stayed for two nights just before Thanksgiving with a family of four.

Pros - good price, nice breakfast, friendly staff, free bus tour of Amish area, Amish buggys regularly seen on the road past.

Cons - rooms a bit small for a family, must drive some distance to dine (on the outskirts of the village), walls not soundproof (we were kept awake until mid-night one night by a TV in the next room - we could hear every word from the TV and the room's occupants).

Consider also the Bird-in the Hand motel. It is owned by the same family in the next village down the road, therefore, includes the free tour, however, has a restaurant on-site and is more central in that village.

Stayed November 2006
4 Thank NZ_4
Bluefield, Virginia
Reviewed August 24, 2006

I don't think I have ever rated a motel "5" before, but this one deserves it.

The room was very clean. It does not have a refrigerator or a microwave, but it does have a dispenser so you can have either coffee or tea.

The continental breakfast is good. It consists of cereals, donuts, bagels and breads, hard-boiled eggs, juices, coffee and tea.

The 2-hour Amish tour is very nice. They stop at several Amish shops. I especially loved the fresh-baked pretzels at the first stop. They are a little more expensive than most pretzels, but well worth the money.

Last, but not least, the employees here are extremely friendly. This actually makes this motel special.

Just as a side note, if you are staying in this area, try to go to Zimmerman's grocery store. It is an old-time store that is not a tourist trap. We found some really great buys in there.

• Liked — The cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — No microwave
  • Tips/Secrets — Book well in advance. This motel books quickly.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank luvmytravels
Peekskill,NY
Reviewed August 17, 2006

My husband and I stayed for a weekend and we were very satisfied with this motel. We had also stayed here 4 yrs ago. Reasonable rates, clean rooms and very friendly staff at the front desk. Wonderful continental breakfast and 2 hr amish, tour included in the rate. Great location. You are very close to town. You can also sit on the lawn chairs and watch the horse and buggy's go by. This made me very happy as this was one of the reasons I picked this motel. It is located on the Old Philadelphia Turnpike surrounded by Amish farms. Note that in the mornings there will be a hint of manure in the air. But, don't let that stop you from coming here. One dissappointment. I realized when I l got home I had left some personal belongs in our room. I called and Staff told me they would check and get back to me and they never did. I called again and they told me once again they would check housekeeping. They never called back.
Places to visit:
Bird in Hand restaurant and Bird in Hand Bakery (delicious shoo fly pie, sticky buns, red velvet cake) and also the Market Place across the street from the Bakery. Do not go to the Family Cupboard restaurant-dirty table clothes and mediocre food buffet. At Stolzfaus Farm Restaurant (family style, they will sit you at your own table) the fried chicken was some of the best I've ever eaten. Their ham loaf and sausage I didn't care for at all. Desserts were Delicious. i think it was $16.00 person all you can eat. It is run by a family who was once amish. The wait staff is not amish but some of the friendliest wait staff I've ever encountered.
Travelers Rest is one of 5 properties owned by The Smucker Family. All are within 4 mi of eachother. You are permitted to use their facilities pool etc. You can check this out on Bird in -----. Hope you enjoy your stay! We will stay here again when we return to Intercourse.

• Liked — cleanliness,friendly staff,continental breakfast inckuded in very reasonable rate
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — go here you'll be happy you did
  • Stayed August 2006
7 Thank MRosadoMock
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I was a little concerned about staying in a small motel but the pictures were nice and the price was right. My husband and I and our two boys ages 5 and 8 stayed here for 4 nights and we can't wait to return. Even though it didn't have a pool the kids loved it. They looked forward to cereal and fruit every morning and were dressed before we were. We were given a complimentary bus tour (every reservation gets one) of Amish country and it was the highlight of the the trip. On the tour they took us to an Amish farm that sells homemade pretzels that are a Must!!! We even purchased zip lock bags and went back to the farm to buy more pretzels. Our room also came with many useful coupons that we used throughout our trip and saved us a lot of money. If you're looking for a nice place look no further; it was so clean and everyone was so nice. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank DisneyMom35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Intercourse
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
AmishView Inn & Suites
AmishView Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Bird in Hand
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)

Been to Travelers Rest Motel? Share your experiences!