“Nothing fancy”

Travelers Rest Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Intercourse
“Nothing fancy”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed here in Sept 2011. Very old, plain but clean with good location. Worried it might be noisy because it is on the main drag. Turned out to be very quiet. Breakfast wasn't much-coffee, tea, milk, cold & hot cereal, muffins & bagels.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank ReeRee65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I have been a customer at this Motel for about 15 years, usually staying 3 or 4 times a year.In all those years we have never experienced a bad stay. The rooms are always clean and well maintained. Now mind you this is an older Motel without a lot of bells and whistles, but if you want consistency, this is the place to stay. The staff is very friendly and the continental breakfast is great. Over the years, the food choices have been expanded and there is quite a variety of Breakfast items. In the Summer there is nothing more relaxing than sitting outside in one of their many lounge chairs and if you don't care for the Sun, the large gazebo is a nice shaded place to sit and watch the buggies go by.But if you have Children, this may not be the property to stay at, not much going on. Stay at their Sister property Bird in Hand Family Inn which has lots to do for the young ones. All the Smucker Family Motels are great, I believe there are 5 or 6 to choose from, you won't go wrong staying at their properties.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank purplehuff
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 15, 2012

we come to Travelers rest Motel every chance we get and look forward to it every year. It is so relaxing and comfortable, my husband said its the best sleep he's ever gotten. We stay for a few days and travel and shop all over the amish country and always take the bus tour that is available to us. We have never had a problem, we started going there when we lived in New Jersey and now in Indiana and will keep coming back. We can't get enough of it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joann b
Pepperell
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We've been enjoying this motel for many years. The staff makes you feel right at home, welcomes you with open arms on every visit. Linda, the breakfast hostess, is perfect for her job. Always ready to help you with directions, places to eat, and those special Amish shops. She's a wealth of information.....makes everyone field special.

The motel is a one level, smaller style building, like they were a few years back. They do have, refrigerators, hair dryers, in room coffee maker, and offer breakfast in the lobby.

A tour of the countryside, with several stops along the way (you must take home some yummy goodies, or maybe buy a beautiful quilt) is also available at the motel. The drivers are so knowledgeable with the Amish history and their way of life. Cost of the tour is what you choose to give to the driver. Then after doing the tour you can ramble around the back roads at you leisure, maybe go back to a favorite shop. You get to know the places you just pass by and the ones you want to stop at, after visiting the area for many years.

Give it a try, you won't be sorry you did !!

Room Tip: We like the ones facing the street, better view to watch the buggy's travel by.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Loretta S
Upstate, NY
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here August 22-24, 2011. I have no idea why it has taken me so long to write a review as we have been staying here for years and come here a couple times a year for mini getaways. Never have we encountered a problem or issue which is a rarerity in this day and age! ;-) Rooms are all first level with parking almost in front of your room. (I say almost because you'll understand when you see it that you are just one or two spots away from directly in front of your room....but regardless....I would consider this "park in front of your room" parking). No interior coordidors....all exterior. Clean, tidy grounds. Located on quiet road at night. Very close to Kitchen Kettle Village! (In fact, just up the road from it!) Very nice breakfast in am. Biscuits and sausage gravy, bagels, toast, donuts, fruit, hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurts, juices, coffee, etc. Certainly enough to fill you up and keep you going until lunchtime. Always fully stocked!!! Very nice and friendly people working and honestly, staying there. Every time we have been there we have encountered the most friendly, talkative people in the breakfast area. Very quiet motel. Very decent folk that stay there. Mostly middle aged + staying there, but as a younger person, I fully appreciate the respect a more mature clientele provides me at night when I want to sleep. I also rest assured nobody is going to come screeching into the motel at night blaring their car stereo at an ear piercing level and then fling their car door into mine at 3am. :-) Have always stayed in two double bed rooms. Rooms are adequate sized, very clean, and safe. Bathrooms are relatively small but the trade off is how many smaller motels are left out there anymore that you can really trust and feel safe in?? Beds are typical. I wouldn't go hauling the mattresses home for a keepsake but for two nights, they do just fine. Air conditioning in summer and good heat in winter! Have stayed at this hotel, as I said, for years, and in all seasons and I can assure you we have NEVER been disappointed. I only wish they were pet friendly. :-( No pool and I can see where kids could be disappointed with that in the summer but as an adult, didn't bother me in the least. I come to eat and shop!!! :-) Am pregnant now with my first child and my mother and I look forward to making one last "pre-baby" trip in November for the annual Christmas Show at American Music Theater. Also am very much looking forward to having our first "baby" vacation next summer here for a few days. Very close to everywhere you want to go and peace and quiet at night! :-) Managed by Bird-In-Hand so this is not private run and as long as Bird-In-Hands keeps their hands on this gem, am sure it will always be a fabulous place to stay! Word to wise....book EARLY for Fall getaways here....the sell out FAST!!!! We book every Spring for our November Christmas Show trip and every time it has been sold out when we are staying in November. :-)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank superjulesrn
parksley, virginia
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I are regular visitors to the Amish country, usually 2 or 3 times a year. We consistently stay at Travelers Rest and on this particular trip we KNEW why!! On a Friday night, while coming back to the motel from dinner, my minivan started to die! We barely made it back. Being from Virginia, I really had no idea what to do. I stopped by the office and asked the manager if he knew anywhere I could get the car fixed. He told me to let him make a few calls. 20 minutes later, he let me know there would be a local mechanic there in the morning. Sure enough, at 9, a knock came to our door. Our alternator had gone. It was fixed in the motel parking lot!! By noon, we were back sightseeing. Always enjoy our stays at this motel...always friendly, always clean, great location at a very reasonable price. We already have reservations for October.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank oriole82001
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Very friendly desk clerks,Clean, average size rooms, Old style park at door one story motel. Very convient to all attractions. Nice gazebo and outdoor seating on front lawn was appreciated as everything in the area closes at 6 pm except restaurants which close at 8. the only thing to do in the evening is sit and watch buggies and cars go by. Will definitely stay here again..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RonWaldorf_MD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Intercourse
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 39 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,857 reviews

Been to Travelers Rest Motel? Share your experiences!