“We will stay here the next visit to Lancaster County!”

The Olde Mill Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 19 Restaurants in Intercourse
Description: Olde Mill Restaurant is committed to celebrating the history, heritage and hospitality that have been a part of the town of Intercourse in Lancaster, PA for more than 200 years. Their combination of delicious homemade food, incredibly friendly staff and fair prices have continued to bring locals and visiting guests through their doors for over 30 years. Named after a literal old mill that once served the community at the turn of the century, the Olde Mill Restaurant boasts a grand stone exterior and interior treasures like period lighting, a copper counter, gorgeous post and beam ceiling supports and narrow slotted windows that replicate the style used for ventilation in traditional barns.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have been coming to this hotel & restaurant about every two years since 1969. We did not stay at this hotel this visit for the last time we were very disappointed in how it had gone down hill. So, we are very happy to see it being modernized. The owners (thank you Kurt) have done a beautiful job and we look forward to staying their on our next visit. Yes, we missed the homey feel of the older restaurant, but, do realize it needed modernizing too. We were not disappointed with our only meal there, breakfast, but, although the new restaurant is larger (which was needed) and it is beautiful, it is rather loud when most of the restaurant is filled. Please, keep your menu the same...we wished we had time for lunch or dinner specials. Next time for sure. Again, thank you Kurt! I did go into to your office area but you were not there. Please tell your parents and waitperson Fanny we missed seeing them :(

Dawn W, Director of Excellence at The Olde Mill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Our GM and owner Kurt Thomas and his wife, Char, did an amazing job with the expansion of the restaurant and the hotel. And while it is difficult to say good bye to parts of the original hotel it is so exciting to see more and more guests stay with us and enjoy the new restaurant and rooms. We focus continually on our guest's experience so we are certainly glad you were delighted with everything you saw. Yes, the restaurant does get noisy when it is full, but we have been consulting the architect to work out a proper solution to the problem. Thank you for your patience in that area. I will make sure I pass on the words of affirmation to both Kurt and Fannie. Fannie is often at the restaurant on Tuesdays and Thursday. Hopefully you will get to catch up with her the next time you come.

Dawn Waltman - Director of Excellence

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have reviewed this restaurant before and gave it good reviews. I have decided to review it again since it has been "remodeled."

My Mom and I are "locals" and we USED to come here 2x a month, or more. We USED to enjoy the homey, relaxed atmosphere. This was the first time we visited since the remodeling and it was probably our last time.

We got there about 5:50 pm and had to wait awhile to be seated, not because it was busy but because no one came to seat us. My Mom is elderly and for us to just stand there with no place for her to sit to wait was unacceptable. I finally flagged a waitress and asked if we could seat ourselves and she said no, someone would be with us shortly. We were finally seated, given menus and were told our waitress would be back to take our order. We sat and waited for over 5 minutes for a waitress, and ordered our food and drinks. Two of the side dishes we asked for were "sold out". It was over 10 minutes before the drinks arrived. We sat, and sat, and sat, and waited, and waited, and waited. I knew we were in trouble when a family having a birthday party at another table was sending plates of food back. That is the point where we should have just left. At 6:45 the waitress finally came back to our table and told us our food would be out soon and asked if we wanted some rolls in the meantime. It would have been good to ask us that after the first 15 minutes of sitting there! I had to ask to have our drinks refilled. Our food got there a little after 7 pm. and one of my side dishes was wrong and the other wasn't brought at all because they "just sold the last of it." Are you kidding me??? At this point, I totally lost my appetite and my patience. The chicken croquettes were lukewarm and dry, and hardly any gravy. She asked if I wanted another side dish so I chose something else. I also asked for boxes to take the food with us. Seriously, all I wanted was out of there. I have never been tempted before to just up and leave a restaurant but I was mighty tempted here. She brought the boxes and said my other side dish would be ready soon. I told her never mind and also told her how disappointed I was with everything. She said she could take 10% off of the bill and I told her 10% didn't cut it. She said to tell the manager when I paid my bill. She was nice about everything and it really wasn't her fault the food was slow. I went up to pay the bill and talked to the manager (I think that's who it was). I told her exactly how I felt and how disappointed I was in the service and the food. She took one meal off of the bill and that was that. Personally, I feel that was even too much to pay for the less than mediocre food and service we "received."

Sadly, we will not go back. It used to be a good place to go to eat, but not anymore. There are too many other good restaurants in the area :)

1  Thank GrammieMae
Dawn W, Director of Excellence at The Olde Mill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

While it is always disappointing to receive a negative review, we appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us because it allows us to make necessary adjustments and improvements. First of all, please accept my apologies for your extremely disappointing evening. We pride ourselves in having great food and exceptional service and we obviously failed during your recent visit. Please be assured I will follow up on your review and look into each area that was mentioned. Your experience is not the typical experience of guests who dine at the Olde Mill Restaurant and so I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you personally about visiting us again. Please contact me at dawnw@amishcountryinns.com. I do look forward to talking with you soon.

Dawn Waltman - Director of Excellence

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Since we are returning to the area next weekend, I was just browsing through the reviews. We usually visit this restaurant once every time we go down there, which is every six months or so and this time we had arrived at the Olde Mill only days after the new dining room had opened. The interior was beautiful and although modernized still had an inviting warmth and charm to it. The woman who waited on us was wonderful. She answered our questions and made us feel welcome, while still quickly and efficiently providing service to everyone in the dining room. We each ordered different meals (I can't recall them all at this point) but I ordered the turkey dinner. It was one of the best I have ever had! The following night, we returned and ALL of us ordered the Turkey dinner. One reviewer has complained that the turkey is "shredded." I guess that is personal taste because I feel was that was one reason it was so delicious. The meat just melted in your mouth and was served over delicious bread stuffing. As for portion size, both nights we took our leftovers home and had them for lunch the next day, stretching the very reasonable cost of our dinners to include an additional meal. I should mention that dinner was so good that we returned for breakfast and were equally impressed with that. My mom ordered berry pancakes which were LOADED with berries.

I should mention that I was so impressed with this restaurant that this is the very first time I have been motivated to write a review about anything on any website. The Olde Mill will be our first stop next Monday at lunchtime.

Dawn W, Director of Excellence at The Olde Mill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Although you have never written a review before, we thank you for letting us be your very first!! Your words of affirmation are important to us as we, staff and management, try to continually improve in every area of our guest's experience. You hit every one of our target areas - great food, served in a timely fashion by a friendly staff in a pleasant environment - all at a reasonable price! Please know that I will pass on your kind words to our staff and we trust you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This restaurant looks very nice from the outside and we stopped only because the other place we wanted to eat at was closed. I got the BBQ chicken and it was okay. The chicken was dry and the portion was small. The French fries were over done. My husband got the meatloaf sandwich and it was also a small portion and all we tasted was beefy onion soup mix, yuck! The only good thing was the service, it was very good. Also, the prices were very high for the quality and quantity. We will not go back.

2  Thank Jennifer L
Dawn W, Director of Excellence at The Olde Mill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meals at the Olde Mill Restaurant. So many of our items are homemade which brings guests and locals back on a regular basis. You are correct when you say that your breakfast held you over for the day. When people order our breakfast platters, they don't go away hungry! So glad you had a pleasant experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Amish Country Inns

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We love the "new" restaurant! During a recent visit to Pa. we ate here twice. Once for lunch, and once for breakfast. Lunch was very good. The fresh sausage sandwich was really nice. Our breakfast experience here was excellent as well. The coffee was served hot and fresh and didn't taste like most restaurant coffee. I had one of the biggest menu items that included scrapple, eggs, home fries, pancakes and coffee cake. While a bit on the expensive side, it was certain enough to hold me all day! My wife had the breakfast special of the day, which helped keep our bill just under the $20 mark. All said, we'll return here the next visit to Amish country.

Management response:Responded June 25, 2013