“Friendly personable welcome and engagement followed by superb food”
Review of The Bloomsbury Pub

The Bloomsbury Pub
Ranked #11 of 207 Restaurants in Twickenham
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, British, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
London
“Friendly personable welcome and engagement followed by superb food”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Nothing was a problem. Given the opportunity to try numerous wines before selecting. Cheerful and truly friendly right down to the chef who all made us feel genuinely welcome. Huge portions of beautifully prepared and presented meals full of flavor with fresh produce. Our newly adopted local.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Joking

“Lovely carrots”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

As a Twickenham resident of 14 years I've heard nothing but praise for The "Bloomsbury's Sunday Lunch, but I have to express my disappointment yesterday. I arrived with 3 friends and did receive a friendly welcome, but the roast beef lunch, we all had, left a lot to be desired. The rectangular plates the meal was served on was half vegetables, great if you like veg. The Yorkshire pud was tiny and there were 2 roast potatoes. The beef, however, did take some chewing and was not great, we all agreed. I think we'll try the "Sussex" next time. Also there was some quite horrible graffiti in the loos which boasted no soap, a wonky tap and a non functioning hand drier.

• Visited October 2013
5 Thank StrawHillJ
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a great pub is all about”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

A warm welcome, comfortable surroundings, an excellent choice of ales, and an impressive food menu – all phenomenally cooked and bursting with flavour – The Bloomsbury is exactly what a great pub is all about.

As a Twickenham local, I have sampled most of the pubs in the surrounding area and been suitably impressed. But I’ve struggled to find one where the food has been consistent. So thank the Lord I came across The Bloomsbury because food is one thing it does extremely well. From traditional Sunday roasts and gloriously-cooked steaks to “posh fish fingers” and more exotic options, such as authentic paella, chef/owner Peter has his feet planted firmly on the ground and a real passion for his food. There is also a strong seafood influence as Peter hails from the Kent coast. The dishes are delicious yet unpretentious, generously portioned, with great prices to match, and all freshly-cooked from scratch. In my opinion, The Bloomsbury can rival any good restaurant in Twickenham.

But it’s not just the food that sets this place apart; the staff are among the friendliest around and by my second visit I was greeted by first name by Peter, his lovely wife Jane, and Tam. They strike just the right balance with pub-goers – friendly without being intrusive, attentive without being fussy and offering a wonderful service all aptly served with wit and good humour. If I have one story to sum this place up it was the night I was in dire need of good food, but arrived after 9pm and the kitchen had closed for the evening. Peter, having not met me before, saw my obvious disappointment, promptly stood up from the bar where he’d joined the locals to watch football, opened the kitchen and cooked me the most amazing mussels with homemade sauce.

If you are looking for a Twickenham pub that is not only great, but consistently so, I urge you to try The Bloomsbury. I guarantee you will be back for seconds.

1 Thank Sarah H
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Freshly Cooked Food!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have lived in Twickenham all my life and have past the Bloomsbury ( or 5 Oaks as it was of old) hundreds of times. Today I met a friend for lunch. The very best Calves Liver I have ever eaten, beautifully cooked, tender with gravy and "bubble and squeak". Absolutely delicious. Chef Peter cooks food to order and Jane at the Bar is attentive. I strongly recommend the Bloomsbury to young and old for fresh, healthy food in a comfortable environment.

• Visited September 2013
“Sunday Roast”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Best roast ever... Friendly atmosphere and very welcoming! Very generous portions and good place to spend the day! If you're in the area definatly worth a visit!

1 Thank Livchar