“Fantastic Pizza”

Ranked #2 of 2 Bakeries in Twickenham
Cuisines: Pizza, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Alongside our Bakery we now have our Refettorio ( Italian for Refectory a dining room). Latin: Refectorium which means a place one goes to be restored! It offers a relaxed environment with a shared seating arrangement which encourages conversation and a sense of community. The idea of which comes from Italian food and wine festivals. Our interior is rustic/industrial. Our menu is best described as simple: 5 pizzas and 1 speciality, approved by Slow Food London Association, long fermentation sourdough bases and delicious quality fresh ingredients all made with organic flours.
Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

After hearing about this place for a friend I had to come and try it for myself. The chef was friendly on arrival and after we ordered he set about making the pizza fresh before us in the kitchen. Once served I wasted no time in tucking into it. It was delicious with the fresh base and great toppings easily making it one of the best pizzas I have eaten. The bread and cakes are great too!

Reviewed August 26, 2014

We (family of 6) pop in opportunistically every couple of weeks for lunch on the weekend, or an early dinner in the week. The atmosphere is great and most importantly - the kids love it! The 'Fume' while on the pricey side, can't be beaten.
We too have had varied level of service - occasionally frustrating, but mainly good.
Just wish they would accept take-away orders on the phone or via the internet.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I fell in love with this bakery based on the aroma! The woodfired oven wofted beautiful smells of bread out onto the street immediately grabbing my attention when we moved to the area. At the time Rubens was just getting started. I got hooked on the Sourdough at first before discovering the fresh focaccia with different toppings (caremelised onion and poppy seed is really good)... perfect for a friday lunchtime treat.

Already in love with the quality breads, they opened the referetto next door and stared serving wood fired pizzas which are fantastic. BYO is a bonus too!
The ice cream currently sourced from South Street Cafe is also great.... try the brown bread flavour! The tiramasu is also great.

Rubens is a gem.... Quality food and a relaxed atmosphere.

2  Thank MandCxx
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We go nearly every Saturday for bread and it has never let us down. The pizza's are excellent always tasty and always high quality. Croissants could be bigger brownies are delicious

1  Thank TwickWalkers
RubensBakehouse, Owner at Ruben's Bakehouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Thank you for writing a review. It's lovely to hear that we are getting things right. As I'm sure you know all our pastries are hand made in the shop and the lamenation process is proving a bit tricky at the moment with this fabulously warm summer. We are working on it. Also in the pipe line, a new sales system that should help to speed up and provide a better service for you. Best wishes. Lucy and Igor.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Having ordered and sat down with my pastries, I waited 30 minutes for two cups of tea that never arrived. Having eaten our pastries with no drink, we tried to cancel the tea's which had clearly been forgotten. When trying to pay, I was told that I needed to spend a minimum of £5 to pay on card. Having tried to spend significantly more (but not been able to through sheer incompetence on Rubens part) I was told by the woman serving 'I only have two hands'. I have never experienced such awful customer service or rudeness. There was no apology or acknowledgement that this was an unacceptable way to treat customers.
Disappointingly, this is not the first time myself or friends have experienced such bad service and despite the good food I will not be returning and will be encouraging others to take their business elsewhere too.

3  Thank Denise H
RubensBakehouse, Owner at Ruben's Bakehouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

We are genuinely sorry that our service let you down. You really should have been offered something as an apology. I have learnt in the last 18 months that I probably can't win back your custom, which of course is devastating for a small independent retailer like ours. It's a tough industry and we are working hard to offer great products and service. Thanks for the kick/ pointers that will enable us to train staff and ensure we can offer better service in the future.