“Actually very good...”

Ranked #2 of 3 Bakeries in Twickenham
Cuisines: Pizza, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Alongside our Bakery we now have our Refettorio ( Italian for Refectory a dining room). Latin: Refectorium which means a place one goes to be restored! It offers a relaxed environment with a shared seating arrangement which encourages conversation and a sense of community. The idea of which comes from Italian food and wine festivals. Our interior is rustic/industrial. Our menu is best described as simple: 5 pizzas and 1 speciality, approved by Slow Food London Association, long fermentation sourdough bases and delicious quality fresh ingredients all made with organic flours.
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This rustic bakery rustles up some of the best and most authentic Italian pizza you'll ever have. The bread is freshly cooked and delicious with mouth watering toppings such as salami and fennel. It surpasses any high street pizzeria. It has a BYOB policy too.

1  Thank SouthWestBest
RubensBakehouse, Owner at Ruben's Bakehouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

A kind word is like a spring day.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We visited Ruben's last night for our regular girl's supper. The atmosphere and venue itself is really lovely, very relaxed and intimate. However the food was generally disappointing. We ordered a capricciosa and a diavola, they were both really soggy, wet and the slices just disintegrated. The only part that was crispy was the crust which was burnt in places. Overall the pizza was cold and not that tasty. We also ordered 2 mixed seasonal veg, very tasty but tiny portions. No idea if the portion size was normal but when we asked for one more we were told they had run out, perhaps the 2 portions would have been better as one. If told we would have ordered something else. The chocolate cake was really dry. The food isn't cheap at £10 for a pizza but would gladly pay if they were fab tasting. Ruben's is BYO so at least we had a great wine to enjoy. Would like to try Ruben's again because it has potential but not likely to in the near future.

1  Thank Maddieraz
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We visited the place last week and experienced what can only be described as the Best Pizza Ever !!! Even better than we had on holiday in Italy itself.
Customer Service was second to none, very friendly and helpfull staff. Going out of their way to please.
Highly Recommended !!! I will definitelly visit again !

So long as you have food in your mouth, you have solved all questions for the time being. Franz Kafka

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were looking forward to our night at Rubens. Despite having pre booked we were seated at the back by the toilet. That's ok I thought. The pizza will more than compensate for being seated in an area in the throes of refurbishment.
Sadly not the case. My son ordered the " special " it had broccoli and Italian sausage as part of the topping and was so wet the entire pizza had disintegrated so that only the crust remained!
Two of us had the margherita which was also very wet and completely tasteless. To make up for my son having had not very much to eat, we ordered two slices of chocolate cake which was so dry it was virtually inedible.
Service was only just acceptable. Perhaps we were unlucky on the night but as they only serve pizza its not unreasonable to expect it to be good!
I don't think we will be back to Rubens. We had to convince my sons friend that it would be better than Dominos and now I'm not so sure......

1  Thank Jacqueline P
RubensBakehouse, Owner at Ruben's Bakehouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Our genuine thanks for your comments. They have been very helpful. Obviously we do not ever want to read a review like that but I will explain why we are so grateful in a moment. Firstly I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience. To begin with the dessert - it was awful and it was thrown after it was tasted by a member of staff but sadly after you had the misfortune. Our usual cake lady (me) was on holiday and our bakers took over. They make delicious crostata but on this occasion tried a new recipe and didn't taste it. Apologies. Now to the pizza and why we are grateful. I will try to keep it brief. We used to use one type of fior di latte mozzarella of excellent quality but recently changed to one that our supplier suggested and we felt was even better, even creamier. After reading your review we cooked and tried a variety of pizzas and have discovered that as you found it is too wet (particularly on white pizza where there is no tomato layer separating the dough) and the base either becomes too soggy or disintergrates. So we will immediately temporarily go back to the other mozzarella while we work out or sourdough base that can take the wetness of our preferred. I don't want to get too technical but the difficulty in part is due to the temperature of our woodfired oven. So thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to make this up to you,please please get in touch under your original booking name. Don't be shy.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Based on my recent experience of lovely pizza here a few weeks ago, I organised lots of pizza for visiting relatives. It was extremely disappointing. The pizza (although I live about 50 yards away and went straight home). was really cold, the wrong order was issued, and none of the pizza really tasted of anything. It was just very poor. I had ordered it to cater for family on a special occasion and it was just a very damp squib. Even the guests commented that it was really not good. At nearly £10 per pizza, this really wasn't good enough. The staff were not responsive in sorting the matter out either. Sorry Ruben, I won't be back.

1  Thank Londoner9999
RubensBakehouse, Owner at Ruben's Bakehouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

We are very sad to read your review. I understand that you received a refund for the pizza you returned. I am so sorry that you clearly feel that you were treated unfairly. Perhaps you would be kind enough to come in and speak to myself or my husband Igor when you are next passing. We would like to understand more about what went wrong on this occasion. I feel sure that had you returned all your pizza as soon as you realised it was incorrect, our waiter and chef would have been happy to offer a prompt replacement. Please do not hesitate to come in and talk to us so that we can resolve the issue for you. Our apologies for now. We take great pride in the quality of our pizza and believe that the price is most reasonable for the quality of fresh ingredients from our italian suppliers and organic flours from shipton mill. Our sourdough base has a 48 hour fermentation and develops it's flavour without the excessive use of salt. We do not use preservatives and we are used mostly to praise for our authentic taste. Many thanks