“Great house bad lunch!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Strawberry Hill House
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Twickenham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visiting Strawberry Hill is a truly theatrical experience. On approach to the building it is immediately apparent from the whitewashed walls and crenelations that this is no ordinary stately home. Once inside the visitor will find the rooms magically lit by a unique collection of renaissance glass with a gloomy castle-like hall and grey gothic staircase leading dramatically to the magnificence of the gallery and state apartment. Between 2007 and 2015 the structure of the building was saved from ruin and the eccentric interiors have been fully restored to their late 18th century style. The restoration project has won major awards from the European Union, the Georgian Group, RICS and RHS, and is shortlisted as 2015's Best Tourism Project at the British Guild of Travel Writer's Awards. As well as guided tours and self-guided visits, we also offer events and family activities as well as an excellent cafe and shop.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great house bad lunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Really interesting house, helpful staff and just the right amount of information. Unusual and fun. Quite an education to find out how independently wealthy young men in the 18th century spent 'their'money, and nice it is still around to enjoy. Also they only let in fairly small numbers at a time so it is not too crowded.

Terrible lunch however. 'Macaroni cheese' for £7.95 seemed to be a (small) bowl of macaroni with melted (I think microwaved) cheddar and leeks. No sign of cheese sauce or a crispy top! Ok maybe if you were paying £2.50 and it was for a child, and you knew what you were getting. Not ok with me, thank you.

1 Thank Liz B
Nicholas S, Manager at Strawberry Hill House, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear MsFussp0t,

Thank you for visiting Strawberry Hill and for writing your recent review. I was really pleased to see that you enjoyed seeing the restored rooms and talking to our staff and volunteers. We've tried really hard to give visitors the right amount of information depending on their needs and interests so I'm glad you felt this was appropriate - I'm going to pass on your feedback to our staff.

I am really sorry that you didn't enjoy your lunch in the cafe. I've spoken to the manager and she has asked me to pass the following on to you:

"I was disappointed to read your comments about your lunch at The Cloister Coffee House and I must apologise as this is not the standard that we strive to offer our customers. We endeavour to train all of our staff to a high standard in order to maintain a great quality product. I would greatly appreciate hearing from you to discuss this further. My e-mail is sue@brula.co.uk and I do hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience."

Kind regards,

Nicholas Smith

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Big disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Barely anything is original inside this house, most of the interiors have been remade with questionable results. Other than the walls there is pretty much nothing inside the house, not even paintings or furniture. Completely empty. There is so much more to better spend your money and time on around London.

2 Thank Ale2026
Dear AlessandroF419,

Thank you for giving your feedback on your visit and your review here on Tripadvisor. I'm sorry you found your visit disappointing and I wanted to take this opportunity to deal with the comments you've made.

I'm sure that during your visit you heard about the dispersal of Horace Walpole's collection in slightly scandalous circumstances in the nineteenth century. You'll also have learned about the unique nature of the collection and for this reason we don't want to fill the house with generic eighteenth century objects which would be really inappropriate.

Instead we are working hard to bring the original items or faithful reproductions back to the building, but of course this is a matter of of time and cost. It is also a matter of tracking items down and we employ a full-time researcher to assist in this.

Regarding the restoration of the interiors, the great majority of the very fine wooden carving, plasterwork and papier-mache work which decorated every room is entirely original and has been merely redecorated (wallpapered, painted, gilded, damasked etc..) conforming to the eighteenth century schemes. The evidence for the redecoration is contained within contemporary written accounts, drawings and watercolours, and in the physical evidence uncovered in picking apart the building.

If you feel that any aspects of the decor are questionable then we would be pleased to hear your views as it is always useful when new evidence or opinion is made available and we do not want to be inaccurate in our work. There is a contact form on the website which you could use to get in touch with me and I will pass your concerns on to our architectural historians.

Again I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit but hopefully my reply has addressed some of your concerns.

Best wishes,

Nick Smith
Melbourne, Australia
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Amazing gothic mansion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This place is certainly out of the ordinary, and features copied gothic details from many famous places, Built by Horace Walpole from 1749 (he was the son of the of the first English PM), for the time if featured somewhat zany and egotistically crafted high gothic style elements. There has been extensive restoration over recent years and this is still ongoing. That said there is enough that has been done to really appreciate what it was like. The library and great hall upstairs are breathtaking really. If you love gothic architecture with a quirky touch, this is the place to go. The stories told about good old Horace are also compelling and amusing. He was quite a character! The little mini guidebook you get as part of the ticket is well worth it.

1 Thank Goldrichie
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fascinating place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Lucky enough to go on a very quiet day so had the almost undivided attention of the very well-informed staff who gave us the history of the house. A shame most of the furniture had been sold off, but the space enabled us to appreciate the rooms for their own architectural value & the pieces shown were well worth seeing.

Decent teas available in the grounds too, so altogether a good visit.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Volunteers who love their job”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we've been to Strawberry hill house and still enjoy it! Each room has a room steward. You can tell, each one of them loves the house. Tip - to enhance your morning, Try to book on a Saturday morning tour.
Cafe staff are so friendly and welcoming and if weather is nice, sit outside and take in the quietness!!

Visited May 2014