“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My son and I visited the Alexander Pope in order to enjoy an evening meal. We had thought that on a sunny Friday evening it might be busy so had booked a table, but on arrival found no-one was in the least bit interested and just sat ourselves down at an empty table in the conservatory area at the front of the pub. The menu looked simple but appetising and we decided on beer battered fish and chips, which I would never cook at home, and settled down to enjoy a drink while we waited for our food. We did not have long to wait - indeed, the alarm bells started ringing when the admittedly very charming and smiley waitress appeared at our table with our food less than five minutes after we placed the order. We were right to be worried - clearly both the fish and the chips had been cooked some time earlier and simply reheated. The batter was soggy, the chips greasy, the fish completely tasteless and the mushy peas which were advertised as accompanying the meal, were presented in a tiny ceramic pot which was so small that there was scarcely a mouthful. At £11.20, we felt like we had been ripped off. To add insult to injury, the house white wine which my son ordered proved to be so unpalatable that he ended up not drinking it. When a waitress (not the same one as delivered our food) came to clear the table and we told her she could take the wine as well as it was undrinkable, she did not even comment. It is a great shame, as the big glass conservatory and their flower bedecked outside seating area promise greater things. This is a pub/hotel that could do really well - it has a great location opposite a riverside garden, it is close enough to Twickenham Centre to attract rugby as well as local clientele and there is a shortage of pubs offering really good, simple English fare in the area, but I for one shan't be going back.

2  Thank Robyn R

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Ate here on a Sunday evening with friends as we were staying in the hotel attached which I have reviewed separately.

We started with drinks outside as it was a lovely evening. The bar staff were very busy that weekend as the rugby was on just up the road but they dealt with the people waiting very well and with a smile.

Waiting staff were also very friendly and didn't mind sitting us down a little early for our booking.

I had the starter of crispy squid. The squid was indeed coated in a crispy batter and served with a delicious garlic mayonnaise which I couldn't get enough of. For main course I had sausage and mash. Three very nice sausages on creamy mash and a decent onion gravy, this is a pub classic hard to get wrong. I finished with the cheese board. This was quite basic with standard supermarket cheeses but the portion size was good and the chutney complimented it well.

I'd definitely eat here again as I come Twickenham every year for the rugby and will probably stay at the Alexander Pope hotel again.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We ate at the Alexander Pope last weekend after being recommended to go there by a friend. We were really impressed from the moment we entered and were seated by our waitress Edina. The service we received from Edina was excellent and she was very helpful in advising us as to what was good on the menu to eat, we were very impressed by the food! Our mains were delicious and our desserts outstanding as they tasted so fresh and yummy. My Sticky Toffee pudding was probably one of the best I have had yet. The restaurant area has a great ambiance and feel and is uniquely decorated in a warm, inviting yet classy theme I loved it!

If in the area I would recommend you try The Alexander as I think you will leave feeling very satisfied and pleased you visited as the food is delicious. : )

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We've just moved very close to the Alexander Pope so were looking forward to making it our local. The fish and chips were quite good except the measly portion of peas and the two long hairs. The service is good if you like a lazy waiter with attitude. It's a longer walk but we'll be going to the Eel Pie from now on. What a wasted opportunity. Where's the management?

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Nice atmosphere, quick service, food good. Although more pricy than usual pub menu at home we are not based in
London or south east so not fair comparison. No complaints though