“Always excellent”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Always excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We've stayed here many times before. It's our automatic choice for London visits.

My tip is to ask for a south facing room, so you're looking out over Twickenham, rather than the wall of the stadium.

Staff are pleasant and effective. The car park is fine, albeit's over the other side, so you effectively walk around one end of the stadium to get to it. Breakfast is as you'd expect of a 4 star business hotel. It's good to see a waffle iron there now too.

Rooms are comfy. If you've stayed at a Marriott before, you know what to expect from comfort and decor. The best thing is the empty minibar. Essentially just a fridge, you can fill it yourself with wine, milk and water (we do). No accidentally opening it and moving expensive drinks that you don't really want or need.

We're back again in a few weeks.

Room Tip: Ask for a south facing room, looking out back over Twickenham. 281 bus stops are right outside the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This 4 star hotel aesthetically lives up to its reputation, clean large rooms etc. However my personal experience of this hotel left me disappointed and embarrassed. Being a young woman alone in London I expected the same welcome as any other guest checking into this hotel. My room was pre booked through booking.com, the staff initially could not find my booking, when eventually found I was asked to provide my card for payment, which I did. My card was then declined twice, I proceeded to the cash point to withdraw money (from the same account using the same card) and pay cash for my room. The staff were abrupt and requested I leave a further £50 at desk in case of damages, to which I replied I would have to go back to cash point. A female member of staff explained I did not have to leave the £50, then the male member of staff told me my account would be blocked and the restaurant stops taking cash after a certain time. The whole service and way I was spoken to made me feel embarrassed and inadequate to stop in this hotel, I was treated as a 'poor person' although I had more than enough money to pay for my room twice over. Needless to say I would not recommend this hotel and will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Request one on outside of building as my view was of a wall inside stadium
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank kelly f
Southern UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had a conference at Twickenham stadium so I wanted the convenience of the attached hotel.

However this hotel just didn't make me feel valued. I'm a member of the Marriott loyalty scheme (albeit entry level) so they have my preferences on file; high floor and king-sized bed. On check-in I'm put in a low floor with two double beds. So the receptionist changes me but puts me into a room where the window looks into a concrete internal space; no natural light whatsoever (room 439). Picture an inside cabin on a cruise liner, but with a window looking into nowhere. Nonsensical.

I phone up reception to request a room with natural light. Now in the past, many hotels have sent someone up with a replacement key but not here. Down I trek with all my luggage again to get a replacement key. I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask if the hotel was busy. It wasn't. So why am I put into an incorrect room and then a room no guest would ever choose when there are plenty of others? It doesn't scream customer care to me.

The replacement room finally had an outside window but was 180 yards from the lifts and still on a lower floor. I don't like being ignored.

Comfort level was adequate but the amenities were poor. Three small cartons of UHT milk. Even Premier Inn provides four. No bath and a bathroom door in two vertical halves with a note on one side saying that half should stay closed for safety reasons. You either take the advice and squeeze through half a door or ignore it. I couldn't quite see what the safety issue was and rather think it was poor design and the door would hit the wall.

Cleanliness wasn't a priority either. At 9pm there was still a used breakfast tray in the corridor outside the next room.

The car park is a fair walk from the hotel entrance although they do have disabled spaces right outside the entrance.

Room Tip: Some rooms only look into internal void spaces.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OldWorldCharm
Kinross, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel; attentive staff, great rooms, modern and clean, good nights sleep. You get access to the Virgin Active next door for free (which is hands down better than any hotel spa/gym i've been to). Located in a good place for the city and Heathrow.

Stayed November 2013
Barnby Dun
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I opted to stay here overnight after attending the England v Argentina rugby match. We chose a mini suite on floor 3. The rooms were beautifully appointed, well equipped and professionally serviced by the attending staff. It was a truly memorable experience from the moment we arrived , to the moment we left. As far as we are concerned, its the perfect partner to a match day, and once you have finished at the game, your room offers you total comfort and privacy. Room service following the match, and breakfast delivered right on time made the experience complete. Thanks, we shall return. One more thing - the bed was amazing. The best sleep Ive had in a hotel for ages.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife booked tickets for Twickenham England V Argentina and the Marriott Twickenham to stay over night after the match.
Check in early beautiful room, we had a room service lunch before the match. I had one of the best Caesar Salad with grilled chicken that I have ever had Caesar sauce was made by the chef and exceptional.
Match was fantastic great seats in the centre and of course England won in style. On the way back to the hotel we ran into toby Flood who chatted to us and was kind enough to pose for a couple of photos with Michelle my wife, what a very pleasant intelligent young man as well as a rugby legend.
Dinner afterwards at the hotel was a real treat with a great steak and the other main the sea bass which was cooked to perfection. Good breakfast the next morning with a speedy efficient check out for our departure.
We usually go to the London Double Headers at the start of each rugby season supporting London Irish and from now on an over night stay at the Marriott will become mandatory as it is the icing on the cake, thanks Marriott you did us proud.

Room Tip: Going to Twickenham for rugby? Then book a room worth every penny.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel used to be a great place to stay on a match day, unfortunately they now fill every spare space in the hotel with corporate guests, which leaves absolutely nowhere for a resident to have a drink or a bite to eat.
I stayed there on Saturday 2nd November for the Australia game (kick off 14:30), and the residents bar was not available until 20:00 (before the game it was being used for corporate lunches and after the game for afternoon tea).
Having not actually been able to get a drink in the hotel I was then very amused when presented with my bill and having charges for drinks on it!

Stay in a better hotel in London for half the price - I will be in future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twickenham
Premier Inn London Twickenham Stadium Hotel
Premier Inn London Twickenham East Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
#4 of 12 in Richmond-upon-Thames

Been to London Marriott Hotel Twickenham? Share your experiences!