“Just alright!!”

London Marriott Hotel Twickenham
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Recently stayed for the rugby. Arrived at 3pm (2 hours before game was due to start) only to be told our room wasn't ready!!!! After paying £400 for 1 nights stay I would have expected our room to be ready at 3pm. After my partner negotiated a GOGW we got a glass of house wine whilst we waited 30 minutes for a room to be sorted. (I don't think we should have asked for this - it should have been offered up front) We ordered room service which we enjoyed and the burger was scrumptious! We thought the breakfast was just alright, my omelette was a little undercooked. The staff are very friendly and good to see this time that on match day that only people staying at hotel were allowed in bar. I would stay again but only because its convenient for the rugby match - the Marriott should not become complainant of that of its guests!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights midweek.
Reception lacklustre with little interest or information.
Good size rooms and facilities.
Very impersonal bar, cold, soulless, bar staff were ok but repeatedly got orders wrong or forgot orders.
Breakfast was incredibly disappointing. Very sad, watered down, fruit juices, unlabelled so you had to guess what it was. One toaster to serve the entire dining room, lukewarm food in heating dishes and new food (scrambled eggs) placed on top of old, bacon swimming in fat. All in all not a pleasant dining experience, this combined with having to have dirty dishes piled on your table as they were not cleared by the waiting staff.
Staff seemed willing enough when approached but there seemed to be a lack of training and management.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I spent three days in the Tickenham Marriott Hotel for a company conference. The conference facilities are excellent. Spacious and all the amenities needed for a large company or other type of conference. The hotel is just okay. The service is quite good, the receptionists are kind and the bar staff is also friendly. The hotel is large and has many small rooms, some looking into the stadium, others looking at the street side. The food served in the hotel in the bar for breakfast and lunch is okay, the food served during the conference was mediocre. The surroundings in Twickenham are residential, there is a Tesco in walking distance. The big idea of this hotel is that you can stay here during and before big rugby matches and it does the job. I would not stay there again if I were a tourist unless other hotels were booked.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed here one Saturday - not a match day, I have to stress, when attending a birthday party in Richmond.

As we checked in, the concierge took our luggage, and that was the last we saw of it until we got to our room. My extra towels had been delivered, as had my foam pillow! Reception very friendly and helpful.

Bed was comfy, bathroom was spotless. The whole area was a bit souless, with very few pictures. View was double aspect though, of the surrounding area.

Seating in the living room area wasn't very comfortable, and the table would have been very small for eating a meal at. Desk area lacking in plug sockets, especially for hair drying. And trying to see what I looked like in the full length mirror was a joke - it's on the back of the wardrobe door - which is tucked into an alcove - so you can only see about half yourself.

Having no mini-bar, we ordered 2 G&Ts from room service, and these took over half an hour to arrive. We couldn't eat in the lounge bar due to an event, so had to eat in the sports bar. This place is cold and echo-y, having a mezzanine floor. We were sat at a low table on sofas - these are too far apart to have a conversation, and not good for eating at. Also very busy. Food was OK, though could have done with being warmer - and what is with serving food on planks of wood? Please, give me a plate, preferably that's been warmed through.

We used the Virgin Active spa - which is next door - no direct access from the hotel, which is a shame given that it meant I had to walk back in through reception with wet hair after my swim. No issues with the opening hours, these are quite clearly displayed on the website.

Bar was packing up when we got back from the party, so we took our drinks back to our room and tried to watch telly. This kept timing out for some reason, so we gave up.

My biggest disappointment was breakfast. I look forward to what I call Mariott bacon - american style dry cured, crispy smoked streaky - and what I got was limp back and fatty. The omelette station was a display of bowls - with some cheese, chopped ham etc and no chef - nor any instructions on how to get one made. Bread was stale, pastries were solid. Most of the food under the warmers wasn't very warm either.

I'd stay here again if I was in the area, and I guess it might be convenient if you want somewhere at the end of the line for London. I can't imagine how busy it might be on match day though!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anionfan
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from watching England play Scotland at twickenham, and having stayed at the marriot for 2 nights could not really fault the attention to detail all the staff had. A smiling face and a good morning from all at every turn made you feel most welcome. The rooms were big,spacious and clean, breakfast was plentiful with a good selection, and as the price for breakfast was included we felt it was worth it. Had we had to pay separately for it, being priced at £17.95 we would not of taken it, and this is where I have to agree with the last reviewer it was a little luke warm for some ingredients and for that reason only my review is not a full 5 stars for everyhing. That aside a great place to take in the atmosphere of a big rugby game.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel more than 10 times last year, I can honestly say the standard of food was terrible, particularly breakfast. Most of the time the food was cold. I complained almost every time I stayed there, but nothing was done about it. If you stay at this hotel, eat out! The staff are really friendly and the rooms are quite comfortable, but the food really lets this place down.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Norman T
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Superb hotel in a great setting. Excellent, professional staff. Wonderful room, overlooking the pitch. Spacious, well-stocked hotel bar. Spotlessly clean throughout. Easy stroll in to the Town centre. Marriott at its best.

Room Tip: The 'pitch view' suites are excellent......