New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of London Marriott Hotel Twickenham

London Marriott Hotel Twickenham
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
Middle England
“Great room, shame about the bacon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed here one Saturday - not a match day, I have to stress, when attending a birthday party in Richmond.

As we checked in, the concierge took our luggage, and that was the last we saw of it until we got to our room. My extra towels had been delivered, as had my foam pillow! Reception very friendly and helpful.

Bed was comfy, bathroom was spotless. The whole area was a bit souless, with very few pictures. View was double aspect though, of the surrounding area.

Seating in the living room area wasn't very comfortable, and the table would have been very small for eating a meal at. Desk area lacking in plug sockets, especially for hair drying. And trying to see what I looked like in the full length mirror was a joke - it's on the back of the wardrobe door - which is tucked into an alcove - so you can only see about half yourself.

Having no mini-bar, we ordered 2 G&Ts from room service, and these took over half an hour to arrive. We couldn't eat in the lounge bar due to an event, so had to eat in the sports bar. This place is cold and echo-y, having a mezzanine floor. We were sat at a low table on sofas - these are too far apart to have a conversation, and not good for eating at. Also very busy. Food was OK, though could have done with being warmer - and what is with serving food on planks of wood? Please, give me a plate, preferably that's been warmed through.

We used the Virgin Active spa - which is next door - no direct access from the hotel, which is a shame given that it meant I had to walk back in through reception with wet hair after my swim. No issues with the opening hours, these are quite clearly displayed on the website.

Bar was packing up when we got back from the party, so we took our drinks back to our room and tried to watch telly. This kept timing out for some reason, so we gave up.

My biggest disappointment was breakfast. I look forward to what I call Mariott bacon - american style dry cured, crispy smoked streaky - and what I got was limp back and fatty. The omelette station was a display of bowls - with some cheese, chopped ham etc and no chef - nor any instructions on how to get one made. Bread was stale, pastries were solid. Most of the food under the warmers wasn't very warm either.

I'd stay here again if I was in the area, and I guess it might be convenient if you want somewhere at the end of the line for London. I can't imagine how busy it might be on match day though!

1 Thank Anionfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Leek, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from watching England play Scotland at twickenham, and having stayed at the marriot for 2 nights could not really fault the attention to detail all the staff had. A smiling face and a good morning from all at every turn made you feel most welcome. The rooms were big,spacious and clean, breakfast was plentiful with a good selection, and as the price for breakfast was included we felt it was worth it. Had we had to pay separately for it, being priced at £17.95 we would not of taken it, and this is where I have to agree with the last reviewer it was a little luke warm for some ingredients and for that reason only my review is not a full 5 stars for everyhing. That aside a great place to take in the atmosphere of a big rugby game.

• Stayed February 2013
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel more than 10 times last year, I can honestly say the standard of food was terrible, particularly breakfast. Most of the time the food was cold. I complained almost every time I stayed there, but nothing was done about it. If you stay at this hotel, eat out! The staff are really friendly and the rooms are quite comfortable, but the food really lets this place down.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Norman T
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Superb hotel in a great setting. Excellent, professional staff. Wonderful room, overlooking the pitch. Spacious, well-stocked hotel bar. Spotlessly clean throughout. Easy stroll in to the Town centre. Marriott at its best.

Room Tip: The 'pitch view' suites are excellent......
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at the Twickenham Marriott as we were using Marriott points and it seemed to be not too far from the main London attractions as we had Oyster cards and used public transit while we were there. However it usually took us up to an hour to get from the hotel to wherever we were going in London itself which is something to keep in mind if you are not just staying there for the rugby. As with any Marriott I've stayed in the hotel itself was good quality- comfortable beds, good service and delicious breakfasts.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CanadianGirl18
Lugano, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel just after Christmas and it turned out to be a real pleasure. Room was spacious, clean and modern with a nice bathroom. Staff were friendly and helpfull and it had various nice and comfortable seating areas . The hotel does not feel claustaphobic . There is also an excellent gym next door which is free for hotel guests. We often travel to London and don't mind staying in the suburbs. The train connection to central London is fast and there are excellent shopping areas nearby such as Richmond and Kingston. I would defibately stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was recently at the Heiniken Cup game Harlequins V Connacht and stayed in this hotel for the weekend with my wife. I found the rooms very well appointed and the price was competitive. The staff were very helpful. Breakfast was good with a wide range to choose from, but at £14 each if booked the night before and £17 on the day is pricey. The price of drinks at the bar are also a tad on the pricey side. I did not get to avail of the leisure facilities but I understand they are excellent. I was most impressed when my wife left her iphone charger in the room, and I rang the hotel asking if they found it could they forward it on. I am glad to say I have recieved it by mail.The hotel is close to transport amenities, although if you get a black taxi from the airport (Heathrow) it will cost approx £35, the return journey by local taxi was £18. Overall very good and highly recommended

1 Thank garrytex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twickenham
Travelodge Twickenham
Travelodge Twickenham
#4 of 6 in Twickenham
4.0 of 5 stars 341 reviews
Premier Inn London Twickenham Stadium Hotel
Premier Inn London Twickenham East Hotel
Premier Inn London Richmond Hotel
Premier Inn London Richmond Hote...
#2 of 12 in Richmond-upon-Thames
The Alexander Pope
The Alexander Pope
#3 of 6 in Twickenham
4.0 of 5 stars 303 reviews

Been to London Marriott Hotel Twickenham? Share your experiences!