All reviewstwo double bedsnext doorpitch viewvirgin gymmatch dayscar parkfree accesshealth clubengland rugbyhotel guestsrugby matchrugby fansroom was spaciouschecking inroom ratebuffet breakfastyou'd expect
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had the pleasure of lunch at the 22 before the England Fiji game. I was with a group of friends from work who had never been to Twickenham before. They were suitable impressed.The restaurant was packed but the food and service were really very good. A great start to the game.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Stopped at this hotel for the England game. The hotel itself is great. Very nice rooms, clean and a large bed! It was part of a special event for my son! However it was nearly ruined by 2 things: firstly the swimming pool. At 5.30pm we wanted a swim but they wouldn't let my lad in. Some rubbish about allowing an hour and a half at 2.30 only! So we thought we would get a bite to eat in the cafe bar. The welcome pack said food till ten. But when we arrived they stopped serving food. Room service did save the day but it cost me £15 for the privilege. For the pool well they should have let him in as long as there was a responsible adult? The guy on reception said it was an adult only centre! Can he say that?

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Went for a cocktail at the Marriot, Twickenham, the night before a big match, and asked if there was another bar, other that what appeared to be the `sports bar` on the ground floor....well, the staff on the Concierge desk` must have been new, as they told us `No`, so we sat at the downstairs bar, and waited a good tenminutes to get a cocktail menu, and once ordered, seemed like another age, before I asked where our drinks were, only to be told that they were being made in the Bar upstairs.....so, we went in search of said bar, only to find a quiet, well furnished and comfortable drinlking and food area.....obviously not known to the downstairs staff!!
We decided to stay there and eat, `beer battered fish and chips`, which arrived certainly quicker than the drinks!! We decided we would like a glass of wine, so ordered one from the pleasant, but fairly clueless bar attendant...who prompty forgot about them......or maybe thought we didnt want them until after the meal, pehaps? We had almost finished by the time the wine arrived.
We asked for the bill, which arrived with untimely haste....pity the wine hadn`t arrived as fast(but at £7.90 a glass, I doubt we would have had another!!)...we then sat chatting, and waiting for the guy to come and pick up and process the card....just didn`t happen, and we eventually took thde card to him. The service we had there was truly dreadful, and I stopped to tell the Young lady on the desk downstairs, who was apologetic, and took my complaints seriously....I hope seriously enough to instigate some staff training!! The bill, as it happens was over £67, we did not leave a tip!! I would not rush back, or recommend this hotel as a place to `drop in` for a drink or supper.Apparently the rooms are very nice, but have no info on those!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for one evening on a bed an breakfast basis, whilst attending an event held at Twickenham stadium.

The hotel isn't particularly easy to find and other than if you were attending an event at the stadium, we wouldn't really recommend it.

Our room was large, with two double beds and was plenty big enough for the two of us for one evening. It was nice and clean, didn't have a view of the stadium or anything.

Nice toiletries and towels were supplied in the bathroom.

Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment - it's a help yourself type setting but sadly the supposedly hot components of breakfast we're actually cold.

We were also rather disappointed that an 'invoice' was put through the door of our room for a 'charitable contribution'. When we were leaving I asked the reception staff about this, to be told we did not in fact 'have' to pay this 'contribution' and it would be deleted from the account.

We already do a lot for charity and have no issues with giving a donation, however, it is just nice to be asked first and we found this to be rather very cheeky of Marriott to do such things to guests!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Room and staff is what moved this from 2 to 3 stars (I veiw it as Good versus Average but not Very Good). We stayed here one night after an 8 hour flight. We wanted something nice and close to (but not at) the airport, where we could relax before heading on a 12 day cruise. In this end, this hotel meant our needs.

However, although we used our Marriott rewards, the going rate for a room here is high and at times higher than some full service Marriott’s actually located in London. I think staying here is fine if you are coming to the stadium for an event and spending not more than two nights. This is not the place to stay in order to see London or spend a vacation. I also think that if have transportation or you know the area (there are two bus stops right in front) then this is fine for a getaway.

Although we were aware at the time of booking, foreign travelers should note London is about 20 minutes away by train.

Pros

Modern, clean, well maintain hotel with a causal vibe. The area seems safe, quite (no events going on at the stadium), great work out facility (Virgin Active Classic with a pool), Illy coffee and at an expected price. Staff was professional, neat in appearance, and helpful in arranging transportation and allowing us to check in early.

We had what was described as a superior room. It was spacious, mini frig, robes, slippers, king size bed, club chair, work desk, and nice bathroom.

Cons

Price and only of value if also attending an event at the stadium. Multiple onsite food options, but overpriced, average in taste, and slow in service.

I expect full service hotels (especially Marriott) to be slightly higher as it relates to onsite services (restaurant, bar, etc). However, this hotel is really overpriced in these areas, even for London (and it is not actually in London). I think this location falls short of full service in that it does not have a club level but prices that reflect that it should.

Issues with onsite restaurants

Throughout, food service is slow.

At The Café Lounge, the menu even notes that main entrees can take up to 25 minutes. When asked about this (given there were only four other people in the area) we were told that was only when they were busy and our food would arrive quicker. I guess 20 minutes is technically quicker (salmon and a hamburger). Waiter could not provide how many ounces the salmon was but that it was a good size portion (it was 5 to 7 oz). Salmon was bland (not even salt and pepper). The green beans and new potatoes that came with it were fine. Blue cheese hamburger, with gorgonzola had a strange taste to it and we were not give an option of how we wanted it cooked. These two entrees, with one Pepsi, and a cappuccino came to 36 pounds ($56).

We gave Twenty Two South Chophouse as try for dinner. And although we did not have this problem (see other reviews), I did overhear wait staff advise a diner that they were out of an item. Again, slow service in food delivery.

The wait staff seemed professional and well trained in full service hospitality, however that does not equate to being a good waiter. I really think they were front desk staff. There were only five tables seated and we all came at different times (and these were three tables of two, a single diner, and family of six). The two servers just seemed out of sorts from what you would see from a professional waiter. They did not really move with a purpose. The basics of checking on tables, refilling drinks, and even providing a steak knife were missing.

My rib eye steak (10 oz) was cooked correctly but bland and cold due to slow service. The menu says served with mushrooms. That is actually two mushroom caps. The red wine reduction (served on the side) had been sitting so long; it had a skin across the top.

I returned the parmesan chips (fries). These were average size fries but I only received four (yes four) and was going to be charged nearly $7 for them.

The little neck clam appetizer was promising (good portion) but served with clams that did not open (really, no quality control before serving?), they were very salty, and two of the first three eaten had grit.

My husband had the chicken and rib lets, also served with two mushrooms. His food was at least hot. Our bill did not include any alcohol, soda, or dessert and came to around 46 pounds ($73). Sides are al a cart and we did not get any in that I sent the four “chips” back.

Room Tip: south rooms face the front of the building
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple