“Could, and should, do better”

London Marriott Hotel Twickenham
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Stayed two nights at the rate of £167 per night inclusive of VAT whilst attending a conference in the stadium.

I'm a Marriott gold member and thus had a room upgrade, free breakfast and free internet (normally £15 per night!).

Hotel is a typical full service Marriott and fine. Breakfast buffet is good (no idea how much it normally costs) and the internet worked fine (although I'd never pay £15 per night and would instead use my Broadband dongle which costs £2 per day!).

Didn't use the hotel for much other than sleeping.

What went wrong?

When I first checked in fairly late and was hunting around my room for mini-bar (there wasn't one) I discovered the fridge which had a half drunk bottle of wine in it which had leaked everywhere and a couple of other remnants of a bygone guest. Clearly someone hadn't done their job properly.

Having got a glass of wine from the bar i then found the TV didn't work. I had to call down and get them to re-boot it! Let's not forget this was the 'upgraded' room.

I didn't get a paper the 2nd day and then, finally, the bill was wrong as they tried to charge me for the internet service.

All the above were sorted out quickly but it points to a general sloppiness which one doesn't normally encounter with Marriott.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed here for the England v Scotland match - it was a fantastic atmosphere. Checked in with ease and the reservations staff were very pleasant and helpful, even though the hotel was very busy.

The room was spotlessly clean - the view wasn't much as we seemed to look onto a wall of the stadium, however we were only in the room to sleep so that didn't bother us (nice wall though with some art on it!!). It was lovely and quiet - no traffic noise at all.

It was a very good party atmosphere and the staff were very pleasant, even though some of us were a bit worse for wear, but I am sure they get that all the time when rugby is on!!

We didn't use the car park as came in on the train which was about 10 mins walk away from the station. Location was easy to find.

Breakfast was big buffet style and all staff were pleasant and helpful. They do waffles if you ask for them and they came with lots of fruit - highly recommended if you don't fancy the english breakfast!!! Food was excellent - good range of choice.

Would definately stay here again when coming to the rugby - so much easier!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on 25 & 26 February 2011 as we had tickets for the England v France game on 26 February 2011.

They do hype up the room prices for the rugby games and also charge for car parking on the day of the match but it was worth it.

On the Friday we went into London for the day. the train station is only 10minutes walkaway and the regular fasttrain only takes 20 minutes to get to Waterloo.

When we arrived we were warmly greeted and our luggage looked after whilst we went to the car park which we had prebooked due to the rugby.

Check in was easy and our bags had already been taken to the room whilst we were parking the car. Well appointed room with everything you would expect and very clean. Only problems were that the lighting was poor and some of the free standing lamps did not work. Also the bed was too soft for us. Nice to have an empty fridge that we could fill up with our own drinks - nice touch.

On matchday if you are not interested in rugby you might feel a little intimidated in the hotel but most people are there for the rugby. the hotel is built into the structure of the stadium.

We had a drink in the bar on the Friday night but had to take our drinks to our room as the chairs in The Sidestep bar are very low, very large and extremely uncomfortable.

The staff were polite trhoughout the weekend and always dais hello and were willing to help.

Breakfast was a buffet and was excellent with a wide chocie and very hot food. My only gripe in the dining room is that the tables wobbled with some of the table tops being loose on their central pillars. everything in the dining room was clean and well organised.

We will definitely be returning

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GGGSarnia
Reviewed February 25, 2011

A nice hotel built in to the side of the famous rugby stadium. Location is key with a railway station a 5 minute walk away then 30 minutes by train to London Waterloo and a short drive to Heathrow Airport. Hotel has a large free car park (as long as there is no rugby match) but its a good 200 yard walk to the hotel front door.
Everything else was what you would expect from the Marriott chain. Clean, fuss free stay

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2011

The room we stayed in was an average size for a 4* hotel. The room was very clean and comfortable. The desk chair had a few stains on it but other than that everything else was spotless. I always look in the bathroom and see if there are any signs of mould or dirt in the corners, behind the toilet and door, and its a good indication to see if the hotels cleaning standards are up to scratch. Bathroom was spotless! Everything in the room was there and working i.e. air-con,hair dryer,TV remote, iron ect.

Bed was not as comfortable as I prefer a slightly firmer mattress. The welcome was excellent and I was helped immediately and my bags taken to my room while I was checking in. Reception lady`s were very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was good and when I asked for an espresso the waiter made me one with no problem. I have stayed in many 5* hotels where they cannot even do a simple task like make an espresso, because its from the bar and the bar is not open that time in the morning or when they can make one its like a filtered coffee. So top marks on breakfast.

The only real issue I had was that they have Pepsi and not Coke. I cannot stand the taste of Pepsi and would have like to have had the "Real Thing" Coca Cola. But then again its a personal thing and I know all Marriotts have Pepsi and not Coke.

So all in all a very pleasant stay and I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jetsetter10000
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Stayed here for business purpose the other night, service was good, room was pleasant and the bed comfy!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Everything we needed was at this Marriott when we visited our son in nearby St. Margarets. Staff was very pleasant and helpful; the room was large; furnishings and bedding excellent. We appreciated having free access to the Virgin fitness center next door. Buses came by frequently to take us where we needed to go. We stayed the week of New Year's Eve and and received a very good value for our room. We will return.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twickenham
Travelodge Twickenham
#3 of 6 in Twickenham
The Lensbury
The Lensbury
#1 of 3 in Teddington

Been to London Marriott Hotel Twickenham? Share your experiences!