“Best Cafe in Teddington”
Review of The Fallow Deer

The Fallow Deer
Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Teddington
Cuisines: British, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: We re a friendly independent family run herd, sourcing produce locally where we can and baking all our cakes in house thanks to our lovely chaps in the kitchen. Not to mention our big breakfasts/brunches, delightful lunches and tea & homemade cakes. We serve tasty artisan breads & selection of gluten free options too. We have created a small but beautifully formed wine list to suit the most discerning of tastes & a weekly changing menu of craft beers to keep you on your toes! We use coffee beans from a small roastery Nude Espresso in Brick Lane who make a seriously good blend and our delicious teas come from the lovely Teaple Tea Co. Now open for bar evenings Fri eves from 6-11 pm . Pop in for a cocktail and some splendid small plates & sharing platters along side! Watch out for our regular fine dining supper club evenings too. Reservation only.
Twickenham
“Best Cafe in Teddington”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I live close to Teddington and have always gone to another cafe for food. It was your stereotypical jacket potato cafe. Fallow Deer is not that type of cafe.

The food is fantastic. So far I have had the scrambled eggs and salmon, chicken and chorizo salad and the tuna Nicole salad and they are so very tasty.

I will keep coming back here!!! Highly recommended.

2 Thank PeteSimmonds

London, United Kingdom
“Great Breakfast!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Was recommended to go for breakfast here as our stay at The Marriott Twickenham didn't include breakfast. What a delight it turned out to be. Got there about 9:30am on Sunday, lucky for us as the crowds started to arrive from then onwards.
We ordered a full English breakfast which arrived amazingly quickly. It cost £8 and came with a pot of tea. The food was excellent and the quantities in the end too much for me. Yep it was a sizeable portion including 2 cumberland sausages, 2 eggs, bacon, black pudding, large mushroom and two slices of toast.
the atmosphere was convivial and the service friendly and efficient. It had a quirky nature such as all the tea cups and saucers didn't match but , hey, the tea was great!

1 Thank marti m
“Not worth queuing for!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Found this place on TA and thought it might be worth trying for breakfast. The interior is a nice departure from the usual bland coffee shop and it has a buzzy atmosphere. I was a little disappointed with the full english; it was overdone and took around 25 minutes to arrive. By the time we left, there was quite a large queue forming at the door. I was left wondering why this place is rated so much - there are nicer places in Teddington. On the plus side, I'm told the coffee is good!

4 Thank Adam W
Teddington, United Kingdom
“Well done to the team!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I called in for breakfast having not visited previously and was met by a friendly and enthusiastic team. The full English breakfast was as it should have been - with the exception of the bacon that felt as it had been cooked twice - but don't let that put you off, this is an excellent addition to the bar / restaurant scene in Teddington

Teddington, United Kingdom
“I miss the old Fallow Deer :(”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

I loved the previous incarnation of The Fallow Deer... it was small, quirky, friendly. I loved the vintage styling, the food was great.

Now moved to larger premises, the Fallow Deer has lost what made it unique. I mean, it's nice, a million times better than Starbucks, but it's now just another retro 'gastropub' style cafe. Wooden tables with mismatched chairs, an old sofa in front of a little fireplace, vases of fake flowers (I preferred it when they had fresh flowers, that was special). It should all work, and it's fine, but somehow it doesn't have the ambience it used to.

We went twice in a week- first time for Saturday brunch, then on a Friday evening to try out their cocktail nights.

Brunch- SO crowded! We really felt squished in on our corner table for four. Service was slow- it took ten minutes for drinks to arrive, and my scrambled eggs were a little undercooked and soggy- disappointing, as Fallow Deer scrambled eggs are usually the lightest fluffiest thing. But perhaps we were just unlucky, to be that busy they must be pleasing some people.

Cocktail night- less hectic. Waiter service, with a small cocktail menu (five options maybe? I can't remember) and craft beers. No food, no hot drinks, which was a surprise for a place that's a cafe during the day. We hadn't eaten, and could have used some nibbles to keep us going, but no. And a non drinking member of our party would have loved a coffee, but was told no, not in the evening. Presumably they want to clearly define cocktail night from the usual cafe, but why?

I loved the old Fallow Deer concept, and really wanted the new premises to match up, but for me it just didn't quite work :(

2 Thank VeggieVenturer