“Over-priced.”
Review of The Lensbury

The Lensbury
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Teddington
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lensbury as a last minute booking after a friends wedding and as a birthday present to me in Kingston Upon Thames. When he showed me the website, I was immediately excited and was really looking forward to eating in the resturant, having a few drinks in the bar and even having a little swim.
I had read some reviews before we stayed here and was quite deflated to see that a lot of people think it was pretty sub standard.

Upon arrival I was impressed by the sheer size of the complex and the outside entrance - it looks very regal and 'expensive'. However, when you walk into the reception I immediately felt like I was back at school and was waiting for my headmaster to come out! The reception area is tiny and not really in keeping with the look of the hotel - okay a minor point, who spends most of their time in a hotel lounge anyway right?
We were dealt with quickly and professionally and I found the staff at reception to be friendly and courteous - we were given a room on the 3rd floor (room 332). It was a standard double for £120 a night.
The room was on the small side, but comfortable. It very much reminded me of a Travellodge room in all honesty, and for £120 i felt that the room lacked certain modern luxuries one comes to expect. There was a working tv albeit very small, a huge bed and a desk. That's about it. However the room was very clean.
On we went down to the bar - it was full of 'members' of the lesiure club, and not guests. Even when you order at the bar itself you are asked if you are a member or a guest. The bar looked old, the feel of the bar lounge area was basic and we just wasnt made to feel welcome to sit and have a relaxed drink together. There was an old bloke (presumably a member as all the staff seemed to bow down to him) who kept asking for boxing or rugby to be played on the tv and tutted and huffed when my husband and I were chatting together close by.
We then wanted to try one of the many restaurants (River View Restaurant). We were sprung upon by a member of staff who said that this restaurant is closed, and is only used for large functions and breakfast (not what was implied on their website). So on we went to the River View Terrace and it looks pretty stunning. Ceiling to floor glass windows, lovely lighting and comfortable looking sofa's adorning the lounge areas of the restaurant.
We had a starter and main, and one word can sum this experience up: basic.
The waiting staff were brilliant and I can't fault them at all - but I could have made better food myself. If you are trying to be a respectable hotel restaurant - DON'T offer a selection of jacket potatoes on your menu, or a "curry of the week". It was basically a Wetherspoons menu.

Off we went to bed - the bed was very comfortable, and bigger than my double at home. No complaints.
HOWEVER, we were woken up at 6am by a door outside our room CONSTANTLY banging shut. It isnt a corridor door and these are all propped open so I have no idea where this constant banging was coming from. We think it was the cleaners going in and out of either a storage cupboard, or in and out of rooms, but my god, I think i counted 20 bangs in 3 minutes.

Overall - It's an okay hotel. It's not a dump, it's comfortable and clean. I would have been happier paying £70 a night, not £120 and we won't be staying here again. I think this hotel has completely lost it's direction - are they a leisure club, or are they a hotel? Because at the moment, they are trying to be both and not really meeting the standards of either.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larbie

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have stayed at the Lensbury a few times and have finally resolved not to return. The public areas are in desperate need of refurbishment, the staff are miserable, the food is dreadful and the rooms are tiny and dull. Some American colleagues complained about not even being able to fit into the shower! The only thing to recommend the place is the gym and fitness facilities, there is a 25m pool and plenty of tennis courts as it doubles as a health club. If you were travelling with small children you would appreciate the indoor and outdoor play areas.

Room Tip: Book the biggest room you can - the standard rooms are tiny.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Well first of all I must say that I'm totally shocked with some of the September 2012 reviews I have just read about this hotel. I'm finding it hard to take in the negative comments about this woonderful hotel. I have to agree very very slightly with the wait we had booking in but once attended to the lady who helped me was excellant. My husband & I stayed for 2 nights and had a wonderful break. All meals were excellant and our room was spotlessly clean and very modern. Not only was there the main Restaurant area to eat in there are 2 other eating rooms, with one being based for children, and then the outside eating area with comfortable chairs/tables. The grounds surrounding the hotel were lovely and clean and just down the road you have a main high street with lovely Restaurants and Bars. Unfortunatly we both forgot to take our swimming costumes but when we return in a few months time we will be using the Spa facilities and I will put on another review about that.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Me and my partner booked here as it was the nearest room available to Twickenham Stadium. It looked really posh and fancy outside but inside told a different story. The lounge was tiny, hardly what I was expecting considering it's flash exterior. The check in staff were very friendly. Our room was very small and basic considering the price we had paid. It was clean enough but could definitely have been a lot cleaner! There were makeup stains all over the carpet and big black marks over the walls. The shower needed a good scrub! The bed was really small and uncomfortable too and there was a massive draft coming from the closed window all night. I didn't sleep a wink as there was a loud squeaking noise that went on throughout the night everytime the corridor door was open. After we attended the concert in Twickenham we got lost and as a last resort rang the hotel to see if they could call a taxi for us as we had no taxi numbers or no way of getting any. The man on reception was rather unhelpful to be fair, he told me he couldn't ring me a taxi and I would have to ring myself so I struggled to remember the number in my head and he said to me "It's not hard" in the end we wandered the streets of Twickenham for 2 hours (early hours of the morning) attempting to get a taxi. When we finally got in I was looking forward to a nice sleep but unfortunately I didn't get any at all! Breakfast was standard but I've had way way nicer, there was a lack of seating meaning several people had to share a table which was awkward to say the least. I won't be staying again that's for sure!

Room Tip: Make sure you don't have a room near the squeaky corridor doors or you won't sleep a wink!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RW54
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The hotel has many facilities to offer and breakfast was very good.However the bedroom was in the Mews annexe, quite a way from the main hotel and involved opening three doors with the plastic key. On at least 3 occasions the key would not work and we had to go all the way back to Reception to get new ones. They really do need to sort those keys out as it is infuriating to arrive at the room and then have to slog all the way back again.

The room itself was a very small double with one of the most uncomfortable beds we have ever slept in. It was a hard, standard double mattress. I would have thought most double rooms offer king size beds these days.

We paid £175 a night which seemed a lot for such a basic room.

The staff were very efficient and friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid the Mews annexe because of its distance from the main hotel and the bother with the keys!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

It was a busy night for the hotel and there was a delay for check in but staff managed this very well and with a polite helpful manner.
The restaurant was reasonably priced and we had an excellent meal outside on the terrace.
The hotel is situated in Lovely relaxed surroundings, we took a lovely walk down to the river.
The only downside for us was the room size we had paid for 2 superior rooms and there was a significant size difference in both the rooms and the beds. Neither of which we felt warranted the £170 price tag. The bathrooms were both beautiful and cleanliness was excellent.
Breakfast was very busy but staff were again friendly and helpful.
Overall satisfied with the services and Staff.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Service from point of entry was great. Room well set out and clean. Loads of extras included in stay. ( indoor pool & gym etc) Breakfast was well presented, tasty and served in a comfortable dining room. Defo would go back.

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Teddington
Richmond Hill Hotel
#7 of 14 in Richmond-upon-Thames
Bingham
Bingham
#5 of 14 in Richmond-upon-Thames

Been to The Lensbury? Share your experiences!