My husband and I stayed at the Lensbury as a last minute booking after a friends wedding and as a birthday present to me in Kingston Upon Thames. When he showed me the website, I was immediately excited and was really looking forward to eating in the resturant, having a few drinks in the bar and even having a little swim.
I had read some reviews before we stayed here and was quite deflated to see that a lot of people think it was pretty sub standard.
Upon arrival I was impressed by the sheer size of the complex and the outside entrance - it looks very regal and 'expensive'. However, when you walk into the reception I immediately felt like I was back at school and was waiting for my headmaster to come out! The reception area is tiny and not really in keeping with the look of the hotel - okay a minor point, who spends most of their time in a hotel lounge anyway right?
We were dealt with quickly and professionally and I found the staff at reception to be friendly and courteous - we were given a room on the 3rd floor (room 332). It was a standard double for £120 a night.
The room was on the small side, but comfortable. It very much reminded me of a Travellodge room in all honesty, and for £120 i felt that the room lacked certain modern luxuries one comes to expect. There was a working tv albeit very small, a huge bed and a desk. That's about it. However the room was very clean.
On we went down to the bar - it was full of 'members' of the lesiure club, and not guests. Even when you order at the bar itself you are asked if you are a member or a guest. The bar looked old, the feel of the bar lounge area was basic and we just wasnt made to feel welcome to sit and have a relaxed drink together. There was an old bloke (presumably a member as all the staff seemed to bow down to him) who kept asking for boxing or rugby to be played on the tv and tutted and huffed when my husband and I were chatting together close by.
We then wanted to try one of the many restaurants (River View Restaurant). We were sprung upon by a member of staff who said that this restaurant is closed, and is only used for large functions and breakfast (not what was implied on their website). So on we went to the River View Terrace and it looks pretty stunning. Ceiling to floor glass windows, lovely lighting and comfortable looking sofa's adorning the lounge areas of the restaurant.
We had a starter and main, and one word can sum this experience up: basic.
The waiting staff were brilliant and I can't fault them at all - but I could have made better food myself. If you are trying to be a respectable hotel restaurant - DON'T offer a selection of jacket potatoes on your menu, or a "curry of the week". It was basically a Wetherspoons menu.
Off we went to bed - the bed was very comfortable, and bigger than my double at home. No complaints.
HOWEVER, we were woken up at 6am by a door outside our room CONSTANTLY banging shut. It isnt a corridor door and these are all propped open so I have no idea where this constant banging was coming from. We think it was the cleaners going in and out of either a storage cupboard, or in and out of rooms, but my god, I think i counted 20 bangs in 3 minutes.
Overall - It's an okay hotel. It's not a dump, it's comfortable and clean. I would have been happier paying £70 a night, not £120 and we won't be staying here again. I think this hotel has completely lost it's direction - are they a leisure club, or are they a hotel? Because at the moment, they are trying to be both and not really meeting the standards of either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lensbury is a 4 star hotel and conference centre located on the banks of the River Thames at Teddington in South West London. Conveniently close to major attractions such as Hampton Court Palace, Kew Gardens and Twickenham Rugby Stadium, The Lensbury offers a good standard of accommodation, extensive leisure facilities and quality dining. The Lensbury is just 20 minutes by train from central London and 25 minutes by car from London Heathrow Airport and close to links for the M3 and M4 motorways.The property has its own car parking for 200 cars, complimentary WiFi throughout and 25 acres of grounds and gardens for you to enjoy.It truely is London's hidden gem on the Thames. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Lensbury reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lensbury Hotel Teddington
- The Lensbury Teddington, Greater London