“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Anchor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shepperton
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Stayed at this hotel many times over the last two years always a friendly welcome Very good value hotel, evening menu varied with freshly home made food. Good friendly bar, great new tv,s in each bedroom.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

I have stayed in the Anchor hotel on numerous occasions and found the hotel to be of good value and the staff to be very friendly. The location of the hotel is very good and you get a warm welcome every time you enter the hotel. The staff are very friendly and always ready to help if you need anything done. The food is very good and you get a good meal for a fair price. Breakfast in the mornings is really good as there is a good range to pick from the menu.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Beaumaris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

After booking in to the hotel we went to inspect our room (supposed to be a double room) the room was so small we could not find space to put our cases.
The bed linen looked and was dirty (looked like red wine stains) the bedcover and curtains had seen much better days,the carpets leading to the rooms were threadbare and dirty.
The shower room edges were covered in brown stains and had no running water in the wash basin.
We never unpacked our cases and left to find another hotel.
I have travelled the world and this has to be the worst hotel room I have encountered yet, God knows what foriegn visitors must think.
It also did'nt smell to fresh either.

Room Tip: Dont stay at this hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
David G, General Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Sir

I am truely sorry to hear what happened on your arrival at my hotel. I have since had to investigate your complaint and rectify the problems.

I am afraid I cannot comment on the bed linen as this was changed as soon as you left so I assume that the manager on duty agreed that it was not to standard and took it upon himself to rectify the situation immediately.

I have checked the curtains and other items you have mentioned and have since and failed to find them dirty but can see how they are starting to look a little dated.

Again with the taps and the shower room edges. I have spoken to maintanance who agreed that the hot tap was not working properly but he fixed it immediately and i could not find any marks on the washbasin. I presume again that the manager on duty rectified the situation as soon as you told him.

I have been made aware that we moved you to our Sister Hotel and put you in the Suite for the duration of your stay. I have been made aware that you had a great time there and I hope that everything was made ok for you.

Thank you for briningg all this to my attention. The only way I can be sure that everybody is happy with their stay is by customer feedback. We are always happy to here positive feedback from our guests (which is most of the time) but it is equally important to hear when we do not get things right so we can continue to improve.
Grantham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed at the Anchor as part of a family anniversary event. We had three rooms of differing sizes. All were clean but a little old fashioned but this just added to the character. We had a lunch for thirty five which was excellent. The meal was spot on, and served up by friendly and efficient staff. Breakfast in the morning was relaxed and a good choice for the cooked option. A minor gripe was that the tea was self service via a tea bag and hot water in a flask. A pot of tea at the table would have been better.
For the money and location this is a great little hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
David G, General Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time for posting this review. I am delighted you all had a great stay at the Anchor. We pride ourselves on our excellent and friendly service and our freshly prepared food.

If this was your second visit I hope it will not be too long before your third.

See you again soon!

David
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed here on two occasions. The hotel's location is very good. The rooms are small, but fine. Everything worked fine. When I had a problem with the light, it was immediately attended to. Breakfast is good. There is a limited buffet, as well as typical English breakfast. The latter needs to be ordered, but there is no problem with quantity or range. I enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again. Make sure you get a room at the back as there is a pub and another hotel at the front, which may be noisy especially on weekends. No internet access. However, the hotel across the road provides free internet access to guests of the Anchor hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

Having stayed at both the Harrison Hotel and the Warren Hotel I decided to try the Anchor instead, despite some of the reviews recently posted on tripadvisor.

I found the single room with ensuite bathroom to be very small but clean. No hairdrier available so take your own if staying here. The breakfast was good and staff very pleasant. I liked the fact that, unlike the other two hotels I had tried, there was a fairly lively main bar and an adjacent comfortable quieter room to read and have a drink.

Will be staying here again in future.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 186525Angela
Groombridge, Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

It was a nice hotel, food was excellent. Room was at the top of the hotel, dirty carpets with lots of dust, the bed was old but comfy, but had a nasty stain down the sides!! TV in room, hairdryer, T, Coffee making facilities were nice. I would definitely stay there again as I did not have a problem with it being slightly dusty. If I had paid £100 a night I would have complained to the Manager!! and not gone back again. Car parking was a bit of a pain tho' but did not have a problem with noise from the local pub kicking out.
MBJ - Groombridge

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Marian B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepperton
The Warren Lodge Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,442 reviews

Been to The Anchor Hotel? Share your experiences!