When in this area I usually stay at the excellent HI Kingston, but tried this place as it was just about walking distance from where I needed to be in Lower Sunbury on Boxing Day night.
It is at the end of an unlit poorly maintained track, not a problem in a car, but not at all nice (or safe) on foot in the dark and wet.
First impressions are good, the reception is spacious and nice, the nearby bar is also spacious and looked really rather good, though I didn't use it, nor the restaurant.
The hotel was almost empty, I saw only 3 other guests during my one-night stay. Despite having booked through priorityclub.com (an IHG site) my details were incorrect on the hotel's computer (right name, but everything else wrong) but this was dealt with competently by the pleasant young man on the desk.
I was given an 'executive room' and walked up one floor to find it. General impressions along the way are that the property is well looked after, but showing some signs of wear.
The room was clean, nicely furnished but a bit out of date. Bathroom clean, nothing to complain about there.
The TV was an adequately sized flatscreen with Freeview channels, the guide wasn't working, but there was a printed note saying they were having teething troubles with a new TV system. Couldnt see if they had any PPV movies though I didn't try that hard, so can't comment on the selection.
They had a Denon micro-hifi on a shelf under the TV. It's something that might have had a wow factor 10 years ago, but really, not now guys! Nobody carts CDs around with them, where was the i-dock? The remote had its battery cover and one battery missing so wouldn't work anyway. I suggest they should get rid of them, they just enhance the slightly out of date feel.
The bed was a fair size and comfortable.
Now I come to 3 negatives:
1) I couldn't get a cell signal for my phone or 3G for my ipad in the room (I'm with O2). This is not directly the fault of the hotel but it was a major inconvenience. I thoroughly object to paying ludicrous charges for hotel wifi, but if I wanted internet access in my room I would have had no choice.
2) At 9.30am there was a knock at the door whilst I was getting dressed. I called out 'hello' loudly a couple of times, but they still started to unlock the door. I had the safety chain on, went to the door and opened it to find two members of the housekeeping staff, one male one female. They could barely speak English, the man said 'Departure?' To which I said yes, but it's 9.30 in the morning and I haven't checked out yet as you can clearly see. 'Will come back later' he said. No apology, no embarrassment. In my opinion coming into a guest's bedroom at that time is barely forgivable.
3) The checkout. They had very few other guests in the hotel and I was the only one at the desk at the time, yet I was hurriedly dealt with by a young lady like I was rudely interrupting whatever other important work she was doing in the side office. I wasn't asked anything about whether my room or stay was OK. It sounds trivial but it really left a poor parting impression.
All in all this is not quite a 4-star hotel in my opinion. Some areas of staff training clearly need attention and the rooms and corridors are starting to feel a bit worn and dated. The poor cell signal is a big drawback.
Will I stay again? Yes, but will continue to favour HI Kingston with my custom most of the time if staying in that area and I suggest the management team of HI Shepperton send someone to spend a night there, they might learn what a true 4-star Holiday Inn is like!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn London Shepperton is ideally suited for both business and leisure. An AA approved 4 star hotel close to Heathrow Airport and set in 11 acres of grounds with ample free parking. Local attractions include Twickenham Rugby, Hampton Court Palace and Windsor with special family theme park Legoland, Chessington World of Adventures and Thorpe Park packages for children. With the M3 and M25 motorways only minutes away, Holiday Inn London Shepperton is easily accessible for London, Richmond and Kingston. Family rooms are available and kids eat free when sharing.For a place to chill over a glass of wine or bite to eat, the Regatta Restaurant & Bar offers an impressive choice of dishes, themed midweek dinners and traditional Sunday roast.The Conference & Meeting Centre features 10 meeting rooms accommodating up to 100 delegates, with natural daylight, high-speed WiFi internet access, blackout, 8 hour comfort chairs and air-conditioning. This conference hotel also provides the informal Conference Cafe for unlimited drinks for delegates. For a place to unwind and recuperate, the leisure club at Holiday Inn Shepperton offers a range of facilities including an indoor pool, spa, sauna and fully equipped gym to ensure you feel relaxed and at your best. In compliance with UK Law smoking is only permitted in designated smoking bedrooms at the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, IHG, Orbitz, Agoda, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn London-Shepperton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn London-Shepperton Hotel Shepperton
- Holiday Inn Shepperton
- Shepperton Holiday Inn