“Not quite the claimed 4-star, 3.5 in my opinion”

Holiday Inn London-Shepperton
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Shepperton
Reviewed December 28, 2012

When in this area I usually stay at the excellent HI Kingston, but tried this place as it was just about walking distance from where I needed to be in Lower Sunbury on Boxing Day night.

It is at the end of an unlit poorly maintained track, not a problem in a car, but not at all nice (or safe) on foot in the dark and wet.

First impressions are good, the reception is spacious and nice, the nearby bar is also spacious and looked really rather good, though I didn't use it, nor the restaurant.

The hotel was almost empty, I saw only 3 other guests during my one-night stay. Despite having booked through priorityclub.com (an IHG site) my details were incorrect on the hotel's computer (right name, but everything else wrong) but this was dealt with competently by the pleasant young man on the desk.

I was given an 'executive room' and walked up one floor to find it. General impressions along the way are that the property is well looked after, but showing some signs of wear.

The room was clean, nicely furnished but a bit out of date. Bathroom clean, nothing to complain about there.

The TV was an adequately sized flatscreen with Freeview channels, the guide wasn't working, but there was a printed note saying they were having teething troubles with a new TV system. Couldnt see if they had any PPV movies though I didn't try that hard, so can't comment on the selection.

They had a Denon micro-hifi on a shelf under the TV. It's something that might have had a wow factor 10 years ago, but really, not now guys! Nobody carts CDs around with them, where was the i-dock? The remote had its battery cover and one battery missing so wouldn't work anyway. I suggest they should get rid of them, they just enhance the slightly out of date feel.

The bed was a fair size and comfortable.

Now I come to 3 negatives:

1) I couldn't get a cell signal for my phone or 3G for my ipad in the room (I'm with O2). This is not directly the fault of the hotel but it was a major inconvenience. I thoroughly object to paying ludicrous charges for hotel wifi, but if I wanted internet access in my room I would have had no choice.

2) At 9.30am there was a knock at the door whilst I was getting dressed. I called out 'hello' loudly a couple of times, but they still started to unlock the door. I had the safety chain on, went to the door and opened it to find two members of the housekeeping staff, one male one female. They could barely speak English, the man said 'Departure?' To which I said yes, but it's 9.30 in the morning and I haven't checked out yet as you can clearly see. 'Will come back later' he said. No apology, no embarrassment. In my opinion coming into a guest's bedroom at that time is barely forgivable.

3) The checkout. They had very few other guests in the hotel and I was the only one at the desk at the time, yet I was hurriedly dealt with by a young lady like I was rudely interrupting whatever other important work she was doing in the side office. I wasn't asked anything about whether my room or stay was OK. It sounds trivial but it really left a poor parting impression.

All in all this is not quite a 4-star hotel in my opinion. Some areas of staff training clearly need attention and the rooms and corridors are starting to feel a bit worn and dated. The poor cell signal is a big drawback.

Will I stay again? Yes, but will continue to favour HI Kingston with my custom most of the time if staying in that area and I suggest the management team of HI Shepperton send someone to spend a night there, they might learn what a true 4-star Holiday Inn is like!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us despite a few issues during your time with us. I have shared your concerns with the management team here at the hotel and we are reviewing how we can learn from them and ensure we enhance the guest experience here at the Holiday Inn London Shepperton. I am particularly sorry for the intrusion into your room; the situation should have been handled with courtesy and your comments have been noted and we have carried out re-training for our housekeeping team members. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is nice but located at a remote location at the end of a dark driveway.
The rooms were clean but for some reason I got a room with 2 single beds that can't be connected. Make sure you clarify what type of room you want.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.

I’m pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and you found your room to be clean. Should a problem like that occur when you next stay with us, please contact our guest relations manager who will endeavour to find a solution.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Back for a return visit, stopping for a couple of nights after a flight back from India. Even though there was a Christmas party on we had a quiet nights sleep and as usual the breakfast was great. Staff are helpful and friendly. A little isolated, you need a taxi or car to get out and about.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time with us.

I’m pleased to read your stay was comfortable and you enjoyed your breakfast with us. I have passed your compliments onto our team members. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

this hotel is in a odd place but once there the surrounding area is wonderful it is surrounded by wonderful lakes and excellent lakes staff were top class all my passengers were so impressed with
the service they got, a must place to stay

Room Tip: east or south side for view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.

I’m very pleased to read that your stay was comfortable and your passengers were impressed with the level of service at our hotel. I have shared your feedback with the management and team of the hotel and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We booked this hotel for a large group of rowers (70 people) and were very well looked after. The events team helped us plan every aspect of our event and were very flexible. On the first evening we had an excellent buffet in the main restaurant, which was extremely good value. On the last evening we had a formal dinner in one of the function rooms, which was good but we felt was over-priced. The rooms were comfortable and clean, leisure facilities very good. The hotel has a huge car park, which was a bonus as we had boat trailers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and I will pass your kind words onto the Hotel team.

We hope to be able to welcome you and your party back to the Holiday Inn London Shepperton in the near future.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel in general is very nice. I was surprised that this hotel is so good but outside London. I liked the quitness and the nature around but dont have much time to relax. I had a small suite which is big enough for my little family. The room was clean and the staff was so helpful with us. Outside my window was a small lake with nice view of trees.

The only thing i didn't like about is far away from city center and in the middle of no where. It took me about 40 min driving to go back to London. No small shops to buy stuff around or anything to visit around.

Room Tip: Take a suite. Regular rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and that you found our team to be helpful.

We hope to be able to welcome you and your family back to the Holiday Inn London Shepperton perhaps if you have the occasion to visit some of the attraction parks local to us.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Not a terrible hotel, but what was wrong was terrible.

Went there on a last minute decision to go to our daughter’s soccer tournament in Cobham. All the hotels near the event were full, so we went here...hard to go wrong with a Holiday Inn I thought. Well, was I wrong.

On the positive side, we asked for a quiet room on the upper floor and we were given that. Beds were adequate and size of room adequate also. The room had its “choke” points where it was one-way traffic, but other hotels have that also. New flat screen TV with 30-some channels. No fridge and no safe. Closed closet with internal light. Two small drawers for clothes. Trouser press. Minimum toiletries. Small bathroom. No exhaust fan in bathroom – a shower created a sauna.

Hotel bar was rather roomy and a good selection of beer. We didn’t eat there, but there wasn’t much on the bar menu that looked good to us. Can’t speak about the restaurant. Both the bar and restaurant seemed lively, but could be due to no nearby alternative.

Exercise facility that had pool and machines. Also looked like the locals used it as a club. We didn’t use it, but it looked nice.

Now the sins.

HEATING: The only thing worse that the referees in the soccer tournament was the heating. The hotel policy on heating is outrageous. I read several reviews about inadequate heating, but attributed it to something faulty in the room. I mentioned this when I arrived and was assured all was well and to call if there was a problem. The room was as cold as it was outside. And damp (its near ponds and the river). I tried the thermostat without success. Cold air blew for a few minutes and then shut down. I called reception and was told that they would “turn on the system”. Waited 20 minutes and no change, so went to speak with the manager. On the way noticed that the hallway was usually cold also. Power outage? Broken heating boiler? Wrong. I didn’t find the manager very accommodating and he looked nervous. He asked how long I would be staying. Maybe the duration of your stay determined the temperature of your room. He offered to change rooms if the problem couldn’t be fixed. But the problem was actually the manager himself. He sent a maintenance person to the room to “fix” the problem who informed that the heating is turned on at 16:00 and off at 21:00. Also turned on at 6:00 and off at 9:00. That’s what was meant by “turn on the system”. So if you are cold at one in the morning, you are on your own. After an exchange of words, the maintenance person indicated that he would take me off the system and let me control my own temperature for our stay. So we kept that room and the temperature problem was fixed except for about 30 minutes then they shut off the system at 21:00 and the manual arrangement kicked in 30 minutes later. I have never seen anything like this at a major chain. All the staff that I spoke with knew what the problem was, kept it a secret (except the last guy) and waited to see if I would tolerate it. If this was my first Holiday Inn, I would never go to another one. So if you use this place, make sure that you tell them that you want a warm room (or cool in the summer) and get off the “system”.

BATHROOM was not clean when we arrived. Unfortunately some of the waste from the previous guest didn’t quite have the distance to make it to the Thames and rested in the toilet bowl. Over time it disintegrated and the water turned to the color of dark tea. A flush cleared the "tea", revealing a yellowish plaque or coating in the bowl below the water. Reminiscent of the color of Uncle Billy’s dentures before he found out he could wash them. It was gone the next day. Nice welcome to Holiday Inn: cold room and soiled toilet.

LOCATION. Not near anything except a marina. Too far to walk anywhere – you definitely need a car. Great if you are at a seminar or training course and your boss wants you focused, but other than that, terrible location. Heavy traffic in the afternoon (16:00-19:00) leaving the hotel area (especially getting across the bridge to Walton on Thames and in the morning 7:00-9:00) made it worse. Plan extra time.

LIGHTING is inadequate. Even with all the lights on it seemed dark. As a bonus for us, one of the lights over one of the beds had been removed. Not the bulb, the whole lamp. So that made a very dark corner. And unfortunately that was the corner of the room that had the desk and the only mirror other than in the bathroom. So once the sun was down, you really couldn’t use the desk or mirror.

PARKING: Big parking lot in the rear. However, when we checked in they didn’t tell us that there was a rear door to the hotel (tucked away a bit and not really obvious). So for the first day we would use the parking road to access the building. No sidewalks and sometime bustling with cars. Also had to stroll by the collection of garbage cans. Strange they didn’t mention the rear door – especially since I asked about parking and how to get inside the hotel when we arrived. (This was before I made a stick about the heating, so they weren’t mad at me yet.) Exiting the parking needed a token from reception. Don’t know why since it’s hard to imagine that people would use the hotel as a drop off place for their cars. There’s nothing around there. So remember to get your token. It’s not a short walk between reception and the parking lot.

TOILETRIES: As stated above, minimal, so no real complaint. However, I noticed that the partially used bottles of shampoo were not replaced with new ones. Instead, the open used bottles were returned to the toiletries tray. Normally the open bottles are left in the shower/tub and new ones placed in the toiletries tray. Looked rather cheap to me. Never seen that before in a large chain hotel.

WI-FI available, but for a price. 5 pounds an hour or 10 pounds for 24 hours. Connection was good. But this should be free. Again, makes the place look cheap.

With the exception of the attempted deception of the manager and reception about the hotel heating policy, other staff hired to interface with guests were chatty and nice. There was another group of staff all dressed in black that never really said much or tried to connect. There appeared to be many of them – I would greet them, they would look surprised and return the greeting. Odd.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely not. Location isn’t great – especially with the rush hour traffic. And I don’t want to be hassled about room temperature. Especially since it was a decision by management to have limited hours of heat.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a manual controlled thermostat.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mr G
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London-Shepperton, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed several aspects of your stay and you found our team to be nice, although I am naturally disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations on all aspects of your stay and would like to apologise for this.

I have investigated fully the issues that you have highlighted and would like to make the following comments.

Regarding the heating timer system:

This system was installed by our contractors to enable us to ensure the maximum performance from our room heating/air conditioning system. I understand our Maintenance Manager explained to you that the system is fully controllable from the room by the guests at all times. Another benefit of this system is that it helps us to reduce our carbon footprint, as we found our guests were leaving the heating/cooling system on for longer than required i.e. still switched on after they have checked out. Our research shows that our customers appreciate our commitment to reducing our co2 emissions. You state that you felt that the Manager tried to deceive you in the way in which our heating system operates. You spoke to one of our duty Managers who passed your issue to the Maintenance team as they were better placed to deal with it, I am confident that he was not trying to deceive you in any way. He has asked to be associated with my apologies if he has offended you in any way.

You mention you found the hotel rear entrance difficult to find, this has not been highlighted before, however we will endeavour to be cleared on check in to explain fully how to access the hotel and will review existing signage. In terms of the bedroom lighting we are about to undergo a comprehensive refurbishment of our bedrooms and we are confident that lighting levels will be enhanced significantly. I am very concerned with the poor levels of cleanliness you experienced in your bathroom and have shared your comments with our Head Housekeeper who has taken steps to ensure these will not be repeated in future.

I would like to re-iterate my apologies for the problems you encountered and would really appreciate the chance to restore your faith in the Holiday Inn Shepperton. Please email your name, room number and date of stay to ops.hishepperton@qmh-hotels.com.

Yours sincerely

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepperton
The Warren Lodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Shepperton
Best Western The Ship Hotel
Premier Inn Sunbury - Kempton Park
Holiday Inn London-Kingston South

Been to Holiday Inn London-Shepperton? Share your experiences!