“The HMS Yotel”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
Pittsboro, North Carolina
“The HMS Yotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Please read my profile for my biases.

I had a nine hour layover in Heathrow due to the fact that the morning plane I needed takes off just after I land. While I have access to the BA lounge, nice as it is, I was eager for another option in order to better spend those nine hours.

I remembered reading about Yotel a few years ago, so this trip I decided to check it out.

Yotel is a chain that rents small, cabin-like rooms by the hour, for around £10/hour. At Heathrow they are located in Terminal 4. I was landing in Terminal 3 and needed to leave out of Terminal 5, so since I needed to change terminals in any case, so I decided to give Yotel a shot.

Note that it is outside of security, so this does require going through passport control. I got upgraded on the flight so I was able to use the Fast Track lanes which only took a few minutes, but if that isn't an option for you take the normal queue lengths into account when planning your stay.

Once through security I followed the signs for the Heathrow Express train. There is a free service between terminals, and after a short wait I took the ~5 min trip to Terminal 4.

The Yotel is easy to find, just follow the signs. From the train take the elevator to departures and find the escalator across from Gate Area E (more between E and F to be exact). Head down and the entrance is next to the restaurant at the bottom.

Entering the Yotel reminds me of Space Mountain at Disney World. Narrow, futuristic corridors with glass walls and doorways visible in the distance. The automatic kiosks were out of order (I'm not sure if they ever worked, actually, or if they were just for display) so I walked down the short hallway to "Mission Control".

I was offered coffee or tea (I wanted neither since I was here to sleep) and the check-in process was rather painless. They had my reservation and didn't require any other form of payment, so right at 08:00 I had my key with a checkout time of 13:00.

The room was about what I expected. I had reserved a premium cabin which comes with a double bed. While I've never been on a cruise ship I can imagine this is what an interior cabin would look like. The bed was in "couch mode" which left a small amount of room to maneuver. It faced a wall with a coat rack, a television, a small fold out table and a folding chair. Along the back wall was the bathroom with a sink, toilet and shower. There were lots of small shelves as well as power outlets with both UK and European plugs.

I only had a small backpack with me, but with the bed lowered it was a tight fit. While there is room under the bed to store things, you would need some advanced planning if you were trying to manage this with a large or even standard case (i.e get everything out you need and place it on the "couch", store luggage underneath, then covert to a "bed"). Nothing too traumatic, but something of which to be aware. The size of the room made taking pictures difficult.

I did need to speak with the hotel staff. I noticed that there was no toilet paper in the room (luckily I noticed this before it was necessary) and also the room was rather warm. There are no climate controls in the room. Instead, there is a vent in the ceiling with cool air that you can open or close. Mine was rather open to begin with but I ended up removing it completely to get some airflow over the bed so I could sleep.

Everything else in the room is pretty self-explanatory, but there is a little booklet with more details if you need it. Two buttons on the side table next to the bed raise and lower it, and there are controls for lighting on a panel on the bed itself.

The biggest complaint I have is that it could be a bit noisy. It made getting to sleep difficult. I did manage to get about four hours of sleep before my alarm went off, and I took a quick shower and then checked e-mails on the free wi-fi.

It was hard to rate this hotel. In fact, I went through quite a number of other reviews to see what others thought of the pros and cons of staying here. It's a solid 3.5 stars but I had to choose either a 3 or a 4.

I went with a 3 due to the issues I had with the temperature in the room, the noise, and the fact that the toilet roll dispenser was empty. Plus, if I had to honestly compare the Yotel experience with other hotel experiences that rated a 4 start review, it came up short. But it is pretty solid for what it is, and it does prevent you from looking like the couple in the picture who were trying to sleep in the British Airways lounge.

If I have a similar layover in LHR again, you can bet I'll seriously consider the Yotel option.

Room Tip: While you may not have a lot of choice, avoid rooms near "Mission Control" as it can get n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Yiorgos-Yotel, General Manager at YOTELAIR London Heathrow Airport, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Sortova,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us on tripadvisor and through our online survey.

YOTEL is a radical concept that many find challenging to categorise. It has been designed by aircraft designers and many of our guests refer to it as a spaceship, a cruise ship or a luxury train. Attentive service is something that we strive to deliver and it makes us happy to see when our guests leave YOTEL refreshed, relaxed and content.

We are sorry that not all of the aspects of your stay were to your entire satisfaction and this obviously had an impact on the way you perceived YOTEL.

The A/C that we have is shared with the Terminal’s infrastructure and is slightly outdated. We are looking into ways to tackle this issue however, and since we are part of the airport, there are major regulations that we have to adhere to. Solutions that otherwise would be adequate and easy to implement are not an option. We believe though that we will be in position to address this matter sooner than later.

Our cabins are designed to an acoustic specification over and above the current building code. In the few years of our operation we have gained experience that helped us improve even more. We do rely on our guests and crew to be conscious of the travellers’ desire to be quiet as much as is humanly possible. We are sorry that our efforts did not have the sought-after result for you during this stay.

Our IT supplier is rectifying the issue with our check-in kiosks. As they have recently took over the Property Management System we use, they are dedicating much time in upgrading it and we anticipate that the kiosks will be up and running again by the end of this summer. Our Mission Control Crew is always available to assist 24/7.

Last but not least we apologise for the initial inconvenience caused by the missing item in your cabin. This by all means should not have happened and we have to say that it is quite embarrassing that it has. Lesson learnt and we will make sure that it won’t happen again.

We are awfully pleased to see that you will be considering us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back. Just drop us a line when you are due to visit us.

With our best regards

General Manager - YOTEL London Heathrow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had 11 overnight hours between flights at Heathrow from Rome to California, so we stayed in a pre-booked Premium room [double bed] at Yotel. We took the quick free train from T3 to T4, checked in--in less than a minute--and had a very modern, very quiet "cabin" with a full bathroom and very comfortable bed plus storage for our 2 large suitcases. Cozy maybe, but perfect for our short-term needs--and only 90 euros, about $140 US. [Different times of day and number of hours determine the price of the room, and is easily calculated on their website.]
We then hopped the Metro [cheap!], also in Terminal 4, to spend approx. 3-4 hours in London, and returned directly to T4 to our Yotel room for a 5-6 hour sleep. At 5:30 the next morning, we took a short hike back to the free train transfer to our departing terminal. No long wait, no bus transfers, no hassle! ,
Yotel offers free wifi [loved that!] and other services such as access to computers and printers for boarding passes, and room service for select food items, which we didn't use. There is also a restaurant/bar right outside the entrance to Yotel, which was handy.
If your situation is similar to ours where you have overnight time between flights, you might want to check on the Yotel option. I hope this concept spreads to other large terminals.

Room Tip: For 2, choose the Premium double or Premium twin. The Standard Twin is ok for 2 for a quick nap, bu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Yiorgos-Yotel, General Manager at YOTELAIR London Heathrow Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear pvmomx2

Thank you for your great comments. We are really happy to see that you appreciated so much the YOTEL concept that you are recommending us to fellow travellers.

We are at present in London Heathrow, London Gatwick and Amsterdam Schiphol and we are to add more locations soon. It’s almost hard for us to believe that in a month’s time it will be two years since the opening of our first ever city hotel in Manhattan! We would highly recommend giving it a try the next time you are in New York!

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to any of our locations.

Stony Brook, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a late flight into LHR and an early flight out the next day. We stayed at the Yotel at Terminal 4 and it worked well for us. The cabin was very clean, quiet and well designed - think of a ship's cabin. The bed was comfortable, the water hot, the lighting efficient. The desk clerk could not provide a wake up call but gave us a pre-set alarm clock instead, We took the London Transport buses 482 and 490 between Terminals 4 and 5 and found this a good service.
There should be facilities like Yotel at every major airport. Kudos to the person who came up with this idea.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ejm1844
Dear ejm1844

We were awfully pleased to read your positive comments and to see that you appreciated so much the YOTEL concept.

We are at present in London Heathrow, London Gatwick and Amsterdam Schiphol and we are planning more airport locations in the not too distant future. We see that you live in New York so why not pop in to our first ever city hotel in Manhattan to enjoy the biggest hotel terrace in town!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

What a wonderful, useful hotel this is. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms very functional and spotlessly clean. The location is ideal, right inside terminal 4. I thoroughly recommend Yotel as you are right there for your flight.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Adam W
Dear Adam W

Thank you so much for your great review and recommendation!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Best regards

Macon North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Even if you only have just a 4 hour layover, the ability to take a shower and lie down on a comfortable bed for even an hour makes all the difference - especially after a red-eye flight.
Yotel eliminates the need to get up early for morning flights. Just spend the night at the airport at Yotel. Very convenient to all terminals via Heathrow Express.

Room Tip: Some rooms -- #34 -- are near mechanical equipment - which woke me up. Ask for a quiet room away fr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank JanetOO
Dear Janet O O

It does sound like you appreciated our concept and we are really happy that we managed to take out some of the stress before a long trip.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Concept fab reality awful. I paid for a room for 4 hours to crash between flights... My bed may have well as been in the arrivals hall it was so noisy.... Room 11 directly behind reception where for the whole 4 hour I lay away listening to people check in and out and the receptionists chatting. Avoid this place like the plague if u think by paying for a hotel you deserve a quiet room to sleep in.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear 8691andreww,

Thank you for staying at YOTEL London Heathrow. We are really sorry to see that your short stay with us was marred by noise.

In anticipation of your response to our private message via tripadvisor,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

While "by the hour" sounds awful, this is the way to go with a lengthy nighttime layover. On the mezzanine of Terminal 4, you are a quick bus or train ride to your departing terminal. Nice clean establishment. Quarters are tight but this is not for your whole holiday. The shower is a life saver. Fantastic air conditioning made the duvet just right for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SEE-Chicago
Dear SEE-Chicago,

It is great to see you had a restful nigh'ts sleep and that you enjoyed our monsoon shower to the point to call it a life saver!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

General Manager - YOTEL London Heathrow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Sofitel London Heathrow
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Ibis Styles London Heathrow Airport

Been to YOTELAIR London Heathrow Airport? Share your experiences!