“Nightmare customer services”

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 4, 2009

We stayed at the Sofitel Hotel in Terminal 5 in Heathrow the night before leaving on an early morning flight. My husband had booked the stay online and then had confirmed that we had an interconnecting room for our children the day before we stayed. The hotel was nice and new, but the staff member on reception were less than helpful. they could no longer offer interconnecting rooms and wanted me to pay another £50 to get a family room. I phoned my husband who had done the booking and he eventually got through to reception and eventually sorted out the problem. However, it took over an hour to check in at 8.30pm with a very tired 4 and a 6 year old. The hotel is expensive and in the end when the invoice arrived as we did the quick check out they had added another £100 to the bill! The room was nice, comfortable and very well equipped but for a big hotel it was dissapointing service.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed October 31, 2009

Super posh hotel located brilliantly in Terminal 5. Fast track to every where in every mode of transportation.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lerandia
Reviewed October 31, 2009

I stayed one night at the hotel and was extremely impressed with check-in and with the room and all of its furnishings. The room was most comfortable and spotlessly clean.
I'll definitely be staying here when I'm next staying at Heathrow.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank firtreecott
Reviewed October 30, 2009

Returning from a vacation on the European continent, I had a layover of slightly less than a day in London and decided it would be best to stay at Heathrow airport to make it easier to catch my flight home the next day. I originally booked a room at another hotel on the airport but during my flight in, I saw an advertisement for the Sofitel in an in-flight magazine. I decided to check it out and see if they could offer me a competitive rate.

Adjacent to Heathrow’s Terminal 5, the hotel is attractive and new (only open about 18 months). The gentleman at the desk offered me a rate that was only £7 more than the “discount rate” I’d been offered at the other property, and checked me in even though it was well before noon. I canceled my other reservation and checked in to the Sofitel.

I was very glad I did. My room was modern but in an elegant way. It had all the amenities we’ve come to expect today in similar properties: hairdryer, iron and ironing board, safe, desk/work area, and a large flat screen TV. The bathroom was a pleasant surprise, featuring both the deep European tub and separate shower. The only thing missing was an in-room minibar, but the hotel bar was so convenient and convivial that it hardly mattered.

After a whirlwind trip into central London for photos of the Abbey Road zebra crossing, lunch at the venerable Rule’s Restaurant, a meeting nearby, and nighttime shots of the London Eye, Big Ben, and Piccadilly Circus, I was more than ready to return to the Sofitel.

Depositing my gear in my room, I repaired to the Sphere Bar for a couple of glasses of wine and some nibbles. SOME nibbles; no mere “pub grub” here! In addition to the snack of mixed nuts, pretzel bites and Wasabi-coated crunchies that the bartender brought immediately, I enjoyed appetizer-sized dishes of prawns with tonkatsu sauce, and roast figs in a honey, lemon, and thyme syrup. Outstanding!

Accompanying the great food was some good conversation. Unlike many establishments, the bar staff at the Sphere Bar actually took the time to chat with me (and several other fellow travelers). High marks there.

Back in the room, I watched the plasma TV until drifting off in a comfortable bed covered by a very cozy duvet.

The one minor glitch involved Internet access. I purchased an iBahn Internet access card that provided 90 minutes of on-line access with the presumption that I could use some of the time now and some later. Too late, I found out that I could not; I could only use the card for a single session, no matter how little of the 90 minutes it consumed. I should have been advised of that limitation going in.

Checkout the next morning was smooth and, given the hotel’s convenient location, I made my flight with plenty of time to spare. If your travels take you to London or through Heathrow, I highly recommend the Sofitel….and, of course, snacks at the Sphere Bar!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank TheTravelPro_us
Reviewed October 30, 2009

Stayed prior to trip to Budapest (flying from Terminal 5). Couldn't fault hotel staff, cleanliness, restaurant and spa. A thoroughly excellent way to start a 3/4 day trip. Used park and fly which didn't add much to the cost of an overnight stay. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I was flying out the next day from Heathrow Terminal 5 and wanted somewhere close to the terminal as I travelled to Heathrow by train (which was very easy with th Heathrow Express) and didn't want the hassle of an airport bus the next day.

I therefore chose this hotel because of it's location (it has a direct walkthrough to Terminal 5 ) and the great reviews.

It's not cheap (I got the room on a 'room only' rate) but the room was spacious, they have an LCD TV on the wall, the bathroom was modern and luxurious. The whole room was immaculate. The bed was in a class of it's own. So comfortable and I had a great night's sleep.

The room was very well soundproofed with thick window glass so even though I had a great view of the planes taking off, I couldn't hear them. Th room temperature was perfect.

The hotel itself is quite big and ultra modern and has a couple of restaurants and bars.

I would definitely recommend staying here if your budget allows.

The only negatives I would say about the hotel are that the room would have benefitted (or rather - I would!) from having tea & coffee facilities, and it would have been good to have breakfast included in the price. It would also have been good if there would have had a swimming pool.

But you get what you pay for, and after a great night's sleep and a lovely shower the next day, it was a short walk through to Terminal 5.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We're so happy with our stay at the Sofitel. After staying at small hotels and B&B's in France, we were ready for the comfort of a Sofitel and were not disappointed. And convenient - we picked up our bags at the luggage claim and walked over to the hotel. How easy is that!

Our room was tastefully decorated and the bathroom was huge. The beds were the most comfortable beds we slept on during our entire trip.

By the time we got to London, we were ready for a full breakfast. The hotel's buffet breakfast is very expensive (breakfast for 2 came to $78 dollars), but was a nice splurge at the end of a great trip.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!