“Excellent location but mixed review”

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Stayed for one night in Jan. 2009 in order to catch an early flight, this is probably the top location in Heathrow for this purpose. I was upgraded to a double room which was spacious, quiet and clean - I liked the free selection of teas/coffee. Bathroom was bright and spacious with a large shower as well as bath. Bed was large and comfortable, decent quality sheets (as is normal for a 4 or 5 star hotel).
Reception was friendly but slow - I had to ask for service as three staff were peering over one form while I was waiting to check in.

The Brasserie provided a good meal at a fair price. Lobster bisque is an old favourite of airport eateries but on this occasion it actually tasted of something, the calves livers were delicate and fresh; staff were professional but not supercillious: well done.

Dislikes: Wifi is not free, there are not enough television channels, the "spa center" is a large hot-tub not a swimming pool, and is available only at extra cost.

Stay here for clean rooms and decent food if you need to be in Heathrow.
Don't stay here if you require daylight as the majority (all?) of the rooms face into large internal courtyards with artificial lighting. This eliminates nearly all flight noise, at least at ground floor level, so I suppose it is necessary and as a light sleeper I appreciated the quiet even if it necessitates air-con due to the lack of opening windows.
Would stay here again due to convenience, food and easy access for T5 (and also short distance to free hop with Heathrow Express to the awful T1,2,3 hub).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (12,189)

Reviewed January 20, 2009

Check-in was efficient (no queue), as was the check-out.

The room is a vast improvement over the T4 Hilton, bigger and much better furnished. The bathroom has a separate shower stall in addition to a tub. The bed is very comfortable and there is a comfortable armchair as well as a large desk.

The bizarre electronic lighting controls defy logic, requiring several trial-and-error attempts to get all the lights on or off. The tiny closet has a shelf which makes it impossible to hang anything longer than a jacket. Be aware that if you use hair conditioner, it's BYO.

The restaurant, where I had lunch, is astoundingly expensive. Better walk back to T5 where there are plenty of facilities.

Overall, though, for those who have for years put up with the tiny, overpriced cell-like rooms and long check-in delays at the T4 Hilton, it's a very welcome change.

Reviewed January 19, 2009

First I have to say that I would definitely stay here again if I had an early flight. Almost magical how easy it is to get from T5 to T1. BUT, it disturbed me that the hotel was so massive and simultaneously empty. It also bothered me that the only rooms with exterior views are the suites. Maybe it's for security reasons since the hotel is practically inside T5, but I want to see out. Which meant that the rooms have views of the inside of the hotel. Of course this means the windows don't open either.

The thing that offended me the most was the dismissive customer service. I was happily watching a documentary on channel 15 when it just suddenly disappeared. I called down to the desk and was told by a disinterested man that that was just the way it was due to the recent TV standard conversion, or something like that. No warning in the room (only spa offers).

I would have felt a wee bit warmer in this beast of a hotel had he offered even a complimentary pay-per view credit.

1  Thank pachin
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We stayed here for 1 night. It was Christmas Eve, and we were flying very early the following day from Terminal 1.

The Hotel was really lovely. We found the staff to be very helpful and did not see the problems with the lift or the lights in the room.

The Sofitel at Gatwick also needs the room key to work, which is for security reasons.

The hotel room was spotless with very comfy bed.

We had to be at Terminal 1 for 5.30am, and even on xmas day, the first train was at 5.15 and took 4 minutes to get to Terminal 1.

I would therefore say, no matter which terminal you are travelling from, use the Sofitel!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2009

Having been told my flight was cancelled, BA were told me there was a hotel next to the airport, I got a little lost going from T5 and ended up in the car park, a nice man from NCP showed me to the hotel. He must have got lost as well as we ended up in front of a large shutter, then a very nice scottish man told me I was at the back of the hotel and took me through the staff areas to the reception, He was such a charming young man, when i saw the size of the hotel It had saved me a long walk to the front of the hotel on a very cold day.

The staff couldn't have been nicer, I got a very good rate of £98.00 for a 5* hotel is excellent, everywhere is clean, even the staff areas. Bedroom was very good seperate bath and shower and all mod cons. nothing was to much trouble for anyone. I would recommend this hotel as one of Heathrows hidden gems

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I booked connecting rooms for one night for myself, my wife and two children. I pre-paid the rooms months in advance of our arrival.
When I checked in I was told that connecting rooms were available. We only found out when we arrived at our rooms that the rooms were not connecting and that they had a been let to a company that had booked a Christmas party at the hotel. This is not what you want to hear when you have just driven five hours and you have a long haul flight ahead of you.
The porter rang the front desk and the guy from front desk came to the room and offered a suite for four people. We arrived at the suite only to find that one of the beds was a pull-out sofa for two. I explained that I had booked a connecting room with twin beds, (I have two teenangers, a boy and a girl) and they couldn't really share this bed.
We were led back to and accepted the original rooms, which although were not connected were on the same floor. Albeit we had packed our clothes for the following days travel in the one case so a fair amount of toing and froing went on both that night and the following morning, which was an inconveniance! The front desk guy told me he would give me a rate reduction for the inconvenience, I told him not to bother, I just wanted to eat and get to sleep.I did in fact receive a reduced rate for the twin room, although I would have preffered the rooms I had booked.

The rooms are very good, great bathroom, great bed. We ordered room service, it was really good.

The hotel is great for Terminal 5 and if it wasn't for the hassle with the rooms I would rate it as excellent. Anyone travelling with children knows the importance of the least amount of hassle.
I only wish Hotels would realise that if you pre-book and pre-pay for something it would be nice to get what you pay for!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Funlovinfella
Reviewed January 9, 2009

This was my first stay at Sofitel Heathrow. I'm not easily impressed but this hotel is almost perfect. With that I mean it is perfect for a LHR stayover, especially if you travel from Terminal 5. Hotel is only a few minutes walk from the departure hall.

I was upgraded from a standard room to a superior. The room itself was brand new and very clean and modern. It had a king size bed and I had a very good sleep.

Flat screen TV with standard channels. Many pay channels available including movies and sat TV from most of Europe.

Minibar was empty except a single bottle of water. You will have to call room-service to have it filled.

Bathroom was impressive with the large mirror, it felt like twice the actual size. One neat feature is that you can see the TV in the bedroom while showering, audio is streamed to loudspeakers in the bathroom.

Hi tech airconditioning kept the room as cool as I wanted.

Wireless and wired internet was available but at a surcharge.

My only complaint must be that the room only had UK/US power outlets. If you need the standard two plug European, you do need an adapter. This isn't acceptable for a 5-star UK hotel.

Hotel bar is very modern and has plenty of seating including a lounge area. Power outlets available (UK) if you bring the laptop down to the bar.

Staff was polite and helpful. I do recommend this hotel for everyone that needs a stopover at Heathrow.

2  Thank LennW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
2 mi away
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!