“WOW - this is how it should be!”

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
“WOW - this is how it should be!”
Reviewed December 16, 2008

If the hotel management have been keeping an eye on comment made on Trip Advisor they have certainly paid attention. All the negative comments have been addressed and information and directions from Reception are 100%. There are instructions on the lights in the rooms, but they really aren't that complicated.

The room itself was very smart and well appointed with all the trimmings for a short stay. The restaurant was welcoming and staff very attentive but not hovering over you - just keeping an eye on you at a distance so when your glass needed topped up, it was done efficiently and effectively.

The walk from T5 is fairly short and certainly better than waiting on and then travelling on a coach transfer to another hotel.

We would thoroughly recommend this hotel if travelling to and from T5.

• Liked — Efficient and friendly
  • Disliked — very little
1 Thank colkar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,582)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Loughborough
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Excellent modern hotel ideally situated for travelling through Heathrow, particularly through Terminal 5.
The hotel has a quality feel about it; obviously a lot of thought has gone into the design and recent construction. There is a choice to two main bars and two restaurants. The staff behind both bars are very friendly and attentive.
The rooms are excellent, and in my opinion the best part of the hotel. The bathrooms and in particular the showers are the best of any within the major Heathrow hotels and the beds are among the comfiest in the area (and I have stayed at all the main Heathrow hotels over the last 2 years). The bedroom lighting is excellent and well thought out. The lighting levels are excellent for working in your room, but can be easily adjusted to create a relaxing atmosphere. The addition of the American 110V socket and the ability to connect a digital camera or laptop to the TV is also a nice touch.
There is plenty of parking onsite and the hotel is easy to find, being located immediately adjacent to Terminal 5 - although you would not realise the proximity to the Airport as the rooms are completely silent.

• Liked — The bedroom lighting
  • Disliked — The spa area incures an additional charge even for the sauna/steam room/jacuzzi
2 Thank Jonnyuk98
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2008

This new hotel is just great for travellers in transit. On arriving from Australia, we elected to base ourselves there for 3 nights prior to flying on to Europe. We commuted daily to London via Heathrow Connect. The cost of doing this was slightly less than paying to stay in a similar rated hotel in London, and as we had an early morning flight when we left this was also less hassle because we didn't have to get up really early to get to the airport, we just walked across to the terminal and there we were and at a civilised hour of the day! We found the beds and pillows were the best we experienced while travelling and the rooms were exceptionally quiet and clean with no noise evident from other guests at all. It was the best nights sleep we got whilst away.
Would recommend to all travellers who have early flights from T5.

• Liked — Mattress and pillows.
2 Thank Ted_Ed
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2008

We booked this hotel for one night before taking a flight. We chose it specifically because the website offered parking + room deals and because the website advertised secure underground parking on site. When we arrived at the hotel, we parked in the underground car park only to find that we couldn't access the lifts to the hotel. We struggled up 3 flights of stairs with our cases, and arrived in the lobby to be greeted by a member of staff who said "why didn't you use the lift?". When we explained he just shrugged and there was no offer to help with our cases.

Check in was shambolic. They had an address in Bahrain on our account, despite me having booked directly with their website, and when I said I had no connection whatsoever with Bahrain they seemed shocked. I now see another reviewer who experienced the same problem. The clerk's remedy was to manually amend the check in slip (not to use the computer system). No mention was made of the parking when we checked in, but as I'd specifically booked the 4 day park and fly deal I assumed all would be well.

We ate in the Vivre restaurant, which we found rather souless. We waited ages for our bottle of wine, which eventually arrived when we'd had already got our main courses. Quality of food was OK, but 6 chips to accompany a burger seems rather meagre. They were stacked nicely though!

The room was lovely, only gripe being that the window looked out onto an internal atrium, so no natural light. We'd requested a room away from the lifts so we'd get minimum noise disturbance. They gave us a room far away from the guest lifts, but right next to the service lift, which clanked away all night! Nice touch - and not very thoughtful.

In the morning we received not one but three alarm calls, none of them at the right time.

When we went to check out, I asked about getting the car park ticket validated on our return, to be told that I should have notified the check in clerk that we were on a park and fly deal, and should have handed my car keys over. Surely the clerk could see the terms of our booking when she checked us in, and surely the customer is always right? Not at this hotel. I explained that we had not been asked for our keys, and that I had only booked the hotel because of their much heralded secure underground parking. I did not want my car to be moved off site and that was why I had chosen the hotel. I asked to speak to a manager, but no one was available. It's worth saying too that the car park was practically empty and we pointed this out to the clerk, who was unimpressed. So we had no choice but to hand over our keys. I emailed the hotel while we were away and asked for their assurance that our car would be delivered back to the hotel in time for our return. I also raised the points about their web site and the fact that the park and fly deals don't mention that your car will be moved offsite. I am still waiting for a reply to my email.

On our return, the car was at the hotel and a reception manager took our bags out to the car. Still no apology for the confusion though.

I have no intention of staying at this hotel ever again.

• Liked — Very nice room and bathroom
  • Disliked — Chaotic service and misleading parking deal
3 Thank Jacqui R
Suffolk
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Everything perfect, service polished and efficient (in contrast to others' comments), great menu (try the pizza!). Short easy stroll through covered walkway into T5. I will always stay there for T5 in future. Use Meteor valet parking too.

• Liked — Right next to Heathrow T5
  • Disliked — Nothing
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed November 28, 2008

I stayed here after a late meeting in London so that I could catch an early morning flight from Terminal 5. The location for Terminal 5 is brilliant. In the morning I left my room at 05:40, used express check-out, and was through security and in the BA lounge in Terminal 5 by 06:00 - and the security queues were long!
I found the hotel just a bit too minimalist though. There is longish walkway to the hotel from Terminal 5 which is rather featureless. The public areas are all very minimalist with the use of granite and stone everywhere. I felt it lacked warmth and atmosphere. It is in an odd location being surrounded by a multi-storey carpark and access roads. No major views that I could see.
Check-in was OK. The receptionist was slightly over-friendly insisting that I would need a wake-up call in the morning since I would sleep so well in my king-size bed. I assured him that I had an alarm clock.
The room numbering is odd as stated by other people. My room had a window facing onto an internal walkway - so natural light and I had to keep curtains closed or else people would have been looking in . It was a very pleasant room with granite tops to all the furniture. Limited channel choice on TV without paying for extra options. Bed was comfy but still managed to wake up in time for flight. Bathroom well appointed with separate shower cubicle. Did not like the toiletries at all (personal taste).
I ordered room service which came in 30 mins. Very good quality food and wine. Had a drink in the bar which again was soul-less but had a good range of wines by the glass.
If I was flying out of Terminal 5 I would certainly use this hotel again but it did not live up to the hype BA gave it. The Sofitel at Gatwick is much nicer than this one.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Architecture and lack of window onto the outside world
2 Thank Superdocuk
London
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I had a lovely experience at the Sofitel Heathrow hotel. The front end staff were friendly and very efficient and I was made to feel very welcome.

Certainly one to recommend!

• Stayed November 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!