“The best airport hotel I've stayed in” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Spain
“The best airport hotel I've stayed in”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Normally, you are treated like cattle safe in the knowledge they will never see you again as you will never repeat your booking after seeing the mess you have wasted your money on for convenience, such is the choice of airport hotel these days. This hotel is an absolute exception it's beautiful.

We arrived on the train transfer from t3 to t5 after a delayed trip from Gibraltar. We found the hotel easy enough but maybe we were just lucky given the comments on here. The smell when you walk in is amazing, I am convinced they pump it through the vents! The entrance is impressive. We were attended to by a receptionist (who i will not name) very quickly. She was training and was very efficient apart from when it came to our bags. There were 2 of us in separate rooms but we received only one baggage ticket. When we questioned this, the receptionist became quite aggressive with the bell hop leading to a rather uncomfortable exchange between them both, ending with her petulantly repeating 'all I am saying is that I was not aware of that' when he reiterated the bags would go to the 2 rooms as long as she wrote both room numbers on the tag. We were just standing at reception in the middle of this, forgotten. It was very unprofessional and unnecessary and caused by the receptionists inability to back down and just say 'oh right ill write both room numbers down.' For this reason I have taken a star away from what was otherwise an excellent stay.

The layout of the hotel is quite confusing and I saw more than one person aimlessly wandering around in the vain hope of stumbling across a sign. You could do with more signage to the lifts in my opinion but I was fairly close to them and didn't have a problem. We didn't eat dinner here choosing instead to go into London but the food smelled delicious. Breakfast was an amazing spread although at £20 the price is a little excessive, you can only eat so much and for me, what I ate certainly wasn't £20's worth. Nevertheless what I did eat was tasty.

The rooms are enormous, you can actually get lost in the bed. The shower is powerful and toiletries are included. The tv comes through via a speaker to the bathroom but seems very loud regardless of how low you have the volume on the tv. Minor point overall but it started to irritate me as the night went on.

The day we left was exceptionally cold. The poor valet looked freezing standing outside the door. It would be nice if there was a heater of some description they could stand under. The same could be said for the smoking area, it is a shame there is no heater although the actual chairs are amazing and the smoking area itself is maintained very well.

This has a very American feel about it and is busy all day and night long. It is a stylish, modern hotel which has struck the balance perfectly between relaxation and comfort without being all in your face about it. It is quite serene. It is expensive and if you we arriving late and leaving early I probably wouldn't bother but if you are arriving early and leaving later I wold recommend it. Very handy for the tube and any amenities and of course your flight. I'd stay there again, in fact I am beginning of Dec. I was very impressed.

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank SpanishScouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,431)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We booked this hotel (through an agency) for convenience as we had an early start on Friday 2nd November. From check in to check out staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Nothing seemed too much trouble to them. Hotel was very well fitted and comfortable. We were even taken up to the room by the young lady who checked us in to make sure that we understood how everything worked. Hotel is connected by a walk way to the Airport terminal 5, which was most convenient. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Sofitel always means affordable luxury to me and this means a good night's sleep. It is fairly expensive (though not central London prices) but if you are loyal to the ACCOR brand they give good loyalty service, including free nights. I am always delighted to stay in a Sofitel: they really are elegant places. And if you are going to the expense of spending the night near an airport you may as well be within 2 mintues' walk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We arrived at Heathrow from Milan terminal five and waited whilst the busy immigration staff read their papers and chatted whilst the "alians" waited. We received from the typical Englishman who apparently on some kink of a power trip questioned us in a subcontinental accent as to why we were entering the formerly Great Britain for 16 hours to sleep at the Airport Hotel before boarding the long flight to civilization in Australia. After establishing after 15 mins of questioning we had a ticket to leave, a booking for a hotel and money in our wallets and bank accounts he finally decided to let us in. We noted that only he of the busy immigration staff to be taking his job so seriously.
The reception of the Sofetel was a revelation. They were welcoming, efficient and pleasant. The rooms were excellent, the bed comfortable and the restaurant acceptable.
This is a very good hotel, convenient and I imagine useful for business people or who have to wait for a connection. I would definitely use it again if circumstances required.

Room Tip: I would suggest that as a non EU citizen that you avoid British immigration if humanly possible. Fly...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henryadams1
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

After staying here (overpriced due to location), I reported a serious concern. I was contacted but also discovered independently that a staff member had accessed my private professional profiles online, completely unjustifiably and I had been watched on CCTV. I therefore escalated this to a serious concern, the manager decided the complaint topic was too "upsetting" to me therefore he would not be taking any further action, I asked for the incident was passed to an area manager, who said that they often looked up guests by google search, it wasn't illegal and therefore there was nothing wrong with what they were doing. The member of staff who looked at my professional profile was not the manager, he was in catering, so it appears some effort had been made to access my details. I find this shocking and see no justification for such intrusion. I would never stay here again and advise guests that, should you report a concern, the staff, manager and area manager find it completely appropriate and acceptable to search for information about you using google. If you are comfortable with this intrusion, then stay. Otherwise, I would suggest avoiding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Lulu_32m
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Lulu_32M

Thank you for your latest correspondence regarding your visit.

We treat any guest comments or queries with the utmost importance. As previously discussed, should a guest make an accusation of an incident in the hotel, we do investigate fully using the hotel CCTV, as it can it can be both enlightening and important to get to the facts, as indeed can a general search online using Google.

Our complete reply to your previous emails remains and I do wish you well in your world travels.

Warm regards

Vincent Madden
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Arrived at Heathrow on a wet,cold windy evening and were very pleased we had booked here. Though expensive some things are worth it as we didn't have to set foot outside the terminal at all. Also I had booked it when Lastminute.com had a hotel sale so it wasn't quite so bad. We had a junior suite which had enough room for the four of us and the children said the sofa bed was comfy. We didn't go to the bar or restaurant as the proximity of an M&S Simply Food in the terminal gave us all the dining options we needed ( living in France it's a rare treat! ) . There is nothing particularly special about the rooms but they are clean and comfortable , bathrooms are well appointed . Free wifi is a little slow but it was ok for recreational use. If we transit through Terminal 5 again we will definitely stay here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Claire M
Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a modern pleasantly appointed hotel to stay in. Firstly I would have to say that the bed is the most comfortable that I have ever slept in, simply sleep inducing, feels like your floating on a cloud. The rooms are nicely laid out and quite large with extra touches such as a very luxurious bathroom including a full size bath, t.v over the bath, good quality toiletries, including soap that was a decent size, large towels, an illuminated make up mirror and robes add to the luxury. Room service was excellent and came quicker than advised. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful. The gym was well equipped and clean. Very close to terminal, literally just over a skybridge. Staff are professional, but I wouldn’t call them overly friendly. Just a couple of small gripes the towels were rough to the feel, and the make-up mirror was positioned over the toilet, it would be better with an extension so you can move it away from the toilet. All in all a fantastic hotel, I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Archer_011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 Hotel
Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!