“Convenient with quality”

Reviewed May 28, 2011

An Accor traveler
Edinburgh

Reviewed May 27, 2011

I stayed one night while connecting flights. I have to start off by saying that the location is amazing - the hotel was literally a few yards away from where I collected my luggage in Terminal 5. There aren't very many signs for the hotel, so you may have to ask how to get there - but once you find the elevator, it's one floor up and then a lengthy, but pleasant to walk in, carpeted hallway. I had booked the hotel online and paid $220 including taxes (Friday night stay). Checking in was easy and quick.

Room: Nice and clean. I am used to high class hotels, so it was a lot what I expected to see. The bed was marvelous!! And not just because I was tired. It was just super comfortable. Sheets were sparkling clean and fresh and felt good quality. There were no external windows which I found a bit depressing, but I guess being at the airport, they can't really help it - my window had a hallway view of the lower floor. I felt that the room was a bit dark, which felt depressing, even as I turned on all the lights to the max. There are some really cool central light switches at a few places.

Now - the SHOCKER - NO FREE WI-FI!! Wow! I couldn't believe it! 1 hour of Wi-Fi was 6 British pounds and 24 hours was 12. Wow! That was such an overwhelming drawback -a hotel that claims to be of such high category and charges $220 per night can't afford to offer free wi-fi, yet third world hotels do? That was just absolutely disappointing.

The TV made me a bit nervous switching through the menu - it constantly felt like I was going to click the wrong option and order something accidentally. I guess with them charging for wi-fi, it made me nervous about everything else. Luckily, no TV purchasing accidents.

Overall, this hotel would be excellent, but at this price point, I think it just about meets expectations and marginally fails them with the wifi. I'd stay again due to the convenience.

And very amazing - I did not hear a single airplane!! Not one. Room was perfectly quiet

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2011

The hotel is located in the BA terminal 5 at Heathrow. We stayed three days and traveled to London on two of the days by tube. It is about an hour door to door to Victoria Station, for example. We ended up taking a car to our departure terminal as we had a good bit of luggage and getting to the tubes would have been a rather long walk with luggage. If you are traveling light take the tube one stop to your terminal. The service is quite good and professional. The rooms are very nicely appointed. If I were to have one gripe it is on the service charges. To be charged 3 BPS for a call to a cell phone is a bit much. Likewise for tea at the cafe in the lobby. But then, everything in London is dear. I would definitely use this hotel again.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

Spent just one night here, but its a memorable experience. I guess this is the only hotel which has can be accessed direct from terminal 5 in Heathrow. The check in was fast and smooth. Food is good. Breakfast is 20GBP, but its not that great. they charge 15GBP for 24hrs internet, but its fast. Very business friendly. Heathrow is very nicely connected to central London through underground. So if have the luxury of spending 40min in train, then this hotel is very good. But even more so if you have a early morning flight to catch. On the whole a very good experience.

1  Thank meetthebigj
Reviewed May 26, 2011

When checking in was informed that they needed to charge 100 pounds per night on my credit card for incidentals. They wanted to charge 400 pounds on my card and said they may keep this charge on my card for up to 30 days after my departure.

Stayed here for 4 nights while attending a conference. There were two big functions happening at the same time - so all the restaurants and bars were closed as well as the elevators that were closest to my room. The staff was very busy and they would not let guests into the lobby of the hotel or anywhere near the restaurant or bars. Basically there was no service available unless you were attending the private functions.

When I tried to order some food and wine from room service, they did not answer the phone for 30 minutes. When they finally answered I was told it would take at least 2 hours before they could "get to me" - so I walked to the T5 terminal and bought some food and wine.

There was no bottle opener in the room - so once again called room service to ask for a bottle opener and wine glasses. They charged 5 pounds to deliver the bottle opener, then they insisted on opening the bottle and refused to leave the opener with us for the 2nd bottle, so we would have to pay again to have the 2nd bottle opened.

Several other incidences happened while staying at this hotel:

- At the restaurant I ordered a steak medium rare and it came out well done. When I complained they insisted the steak was medium rare.

- The staff stopped my girlfriend on several occasions and asked her to show her room key - this happened while walking in the lobby.

- When you pay for the internet service in your room, it does not work i the meeting rooms or lobby - so you have to pay twice for the same service.

On our last night we were in the bar and asked for some white wine. The bartender showed us the wine menu then said all he had available in white wine was one more glass of chardonnay. There were many bottles visible behind the bar but he refused to open a new one. It seemed whatever we asked for at the bar was not available - including any of the wine, yet for some reason others were able to order white wine.

I felt that most of the staff at this hotel treated us as though we were bothering them rather than as guests.

If you are looking for convenience, snobbery and the opporunity to be nickel and dimed to death the Sofitel at Heathrow is perfect. If you want to be treated as a human being - look somewhere else.

4  Thank MMichelson
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2011

Dear Sir,

It disappoints me greatly to read the review here on Tripadvisor particularly as you have spoken to myself, the Operations Manager the Customer Relations Manager as well as several members of the team. I have also written to you directly.

You did stay during a very busy period as you attended one of the two large events you mentioned. You may not have been aware however that your event organiser worked with us and the other event for many months together as both jointly wanted to be here at the same time and together, we all worked hard to deliver exceptional service to all our guests. Overall it has been very successful and I am sorry if these decisions affected your stay. This was far from our intention.

As promised when we spoke I will fully investigate the specific service issues in the meantime I apologise for any confusion in relation to the facilities as I can confirm the following.

When paying by the same card as is authorised on arrival any balance is refunded the same day. If a separate card is used it can be a long process through the banking system. You probably did not need to know this and this information is frightening if given incorrectly I'm sorry of this was the case.

At no stage were the restaurants closed from normal operations although for two hours on one day we had one rather than two bars open, I believe during this period you will have been in the other bar having your pre dinner drinks with your company.

There were 5 lifts to all floors in operation at all times with restrictions for one evening on the lift used to access our conference rooms. There was no regime of checking residents in public areas however if a guest wanted to gain access to a private function, particularly the celebrity event, without invitation, we will of course check that they are in the correct area and direct them accordingly. If this upset your girlfriend please pass on my apologies.

We do charge a tray charge for room service and if there is extraordinary demand we will give a delivery time. I am unaware that delays you described were experienced during your stay however if this was your experience I am sincerely sorry.

Your wireless internet once purchased does work throughout the hotel as the IP address will be recognised wirelessly in all parts of the hotel.

Sir, whenever we gain negative feedback from guests we treat it most seriously and your comments have and are being full investigated. I refer you to my invitation in my e-mail to you and if in the meantime I can be of any assistance please do contact me at vincent.madden@sofitel.com or at the hotel directly.

With kind regards

Vincent Madden

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!