“Hidden costs” 3 of 5 stars

The Continental Hotel
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
“Hidden costs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

A warning for anyone driving to this hotel, there is a charge of £15 per night simply to park your car. All the local streets are permit only parking, and the only local car park that allows overnight parking is Asda, which would cost £12 anyway and mean lugging your bags down the road.

So, if you are driving please add £15 per night to all room costs. Not quite the bargain it first seems!

Apart from that, the room was very stuffy; the air-con shut off after 5 minutes and the window
window couldn't be opened, meaning a very uncomfortably warm night.

Aside from that the hotel was ok. The pool was basic but nice enough, the rooms were a bit shabby but clean, the wi-fi was free, and the TV had a normal Freeview signal rather than a limited selection of rubbish.

The breakfast was also good quality, and the staff were pretty friendly, so it's not a bad hotel aside from the extortionate hidden costs.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Phil W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Indonesian first
Salisbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed in an Executive room which was quite spacious. Staff were very friendly and the food in the restaurant was very nice. Lovely pool to relax in. A little too far out if you want to be nearer London (about half an hour on the tube from Central London) but a short taxi ride to Twickenham for us which was ideal. Would recommend to friends/family.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are more spacious but standard rooms are just as nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

After reading reviews was not sure but on arrival was greeted warmly.Stayed for two nights over Bank Holiday weekend and all staff were polite, friendly and helpful.
Room was not 4 really a 4 star room and was originally quite stuffy with a bad odour of drains but reception gave some air freshener which did help. Probably due to fact there was no opening window to freshen the room. The bathroom was bit grubby and could do with a good clean but wasn'y unhygenic, although there was a missing shelf.
Hotel corridors lovely, feels relaxed and like a spa.
Did not get to use the spa facilities but were available and would expect this makes the hotel a 4 star.
Booked online and got a good price and breakfast thrown in, which made it good value. Breakfast - have had better but did th job and again staff very friendly with endless supply of coffee coming round.
Nice touch in room was the hot chocolate and shortbread and having an empty fridge was a benefit.TV was quite small, as was the room but all in all a good stay.

Room Tip: Floors were wooden so imagine staying on lower floors could be bit noisier.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Aldershot
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed the 25th weekend, at the Continental Hounslow, well...when I booked and read the reviews was not sure...But when I arrived got a warm welcome and was told that there was an emergency and fir health and safety the pool was shut, but will be back from tomo... I totally understood. As they told the next day it hardback to normal. Nice room, very reasonable rates in the bar.
£9.99 a pint of Guniess and a good meal.. That was a good deal, overall we enjoyed the stay and will return back. Can't wait till end of may to stay in there new Refurb rooms.

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

This week I was mostly staying in the Continential Hotel, In Hounslow. I had been looking forward to this stay as having stayed in all the hotels in the area, this one purports to be a bit of a cut above. Flash website. Swimming pool. Expensive rooms. Room service. All the sorts of splendid luxuries I don't normally get.So having spent just under £180 for 3 nights i expected better then my usual gaffs.
It all went wrong the second i came face to face with the receptionist. I confirmed my stay and full payment by card for the balance which had been taken upon booking around a month ago. All good methinks. No. Firstly the frosty receptionisg asked me for my passport. I am a British citizen just coming to stay as I work in London in the week, i didn;t need my passport for my journey up from the seaside (but i did need a naughtily priced ticket). So i get asked for various other forms of photographic ID, all of which i was lacking. So i was given forms to fill out. Nevermind, i think, she's just being thorough.
So having satisfied the situation that I am who I say I am and that some poor soul wasn't pretending to be me by wearing my caridgans and looking like the had enough room for a two week tropical holiday in the bags under my eyes i get dropped a BOMBSHELL..........
"Can i have a card for your deposit?"
"What deposit, i have paid in full, as we have already established"
"The deposit for the room, £150, pay by csah or card".
"What??!!!!"
"It is £50 a night deposit for the room holding fee encase of damage"
"I have never heard of that in my life before! And anyway, i am three days before pay day and I don;t have 1 pound fifty pee let alone £150. You have already had nearly £200 off me".
"It says this in the terms"
"Well i never would have booked if I'd known that. I don;t have £150, try my cards, they will both decline". She takes the cards and realises after all this the card machine is broken anyway.
"Do you have any cash?"
"What?? No i don't have any cash."
At this point she falls silent and stands there guarding the card to my room in her hand. I start to panic thinking that if they don't let me stay I am stuffed.
It was a sweaty few seconds of a staring competion before the nice man next to her behind reception said not to worry this time but that it wsa normal policy to charge £50 a night deposit. Lawd help you if you're planning a gap year in Hounslow. Why couldn't I have dealt with hm from the off???!!!
My card to the room was eventually handed to me. I was told the swimming pool and everything watery in the gym was broken and not to use it. No prior warning, no reduction, but as if i was going to ask??!!!!!
Anyway, i got in the life so slow i think it was powered by a gerbil on a wheel who'd had just come in from a day down the mines. Open the door to my room and thought "hang on a minute, this isn't a bit like the pictures on the flashwebsite". But, as i say, i wasn;t about to start creating after the ice front situation down at reception.
The room was one of the smallest I've had so far. You have about 1 foot on either side of the bed to manouvere. The is a floor to celing window looking out onto a tarmac roof which you can't open. The room was more hot and humid and clammy. The air con was insufficuient and cut out frequently, and noisy when it worked. The bed had no mattress cover and a brief peep at what was underneath showed stains and long black hairs (duvet sleeping bag situation yet again). the was one sole brown cushion on the bed with greasy marks on. The walls were scratched and in need of a paint job. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked and strained a very curious browny orange colour, a bit like cold bolognese.

On the plus side, the tv and all the lights worked. There were loads of towels and nice products. Big hot shower (don't look down at the bolognese tiles). Nicely equipped tea tray with buttery shortbread biscuits (irresitable when you wake up in the night boiling hot thinking you've been kidnapped and put in the steamer with the broccoli). Some wooden hangers.

I can't think of one other plus.

The lift was a joke. I think the hampster was drunk the morning I left. Up down up down stop start groan whimper silent. I waited about 5 minuted for it to get to the 4th floor.

If you need to stay in Hounslow I highly recommend the cheaper and impecable Days Inn directly opposite. Staff are a delight and the rooms are a definte 4 star. Fab bathrooms. I don;t think I worte a review about them actually. I must do that right away. As soon as i have found wine and forgotten my stay at The Continental, Hounslow.

Room Tip: Cross the road to a much nicer room in either the Days Inn or the Travelodge. I have a headache just...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Rugby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Disgusted does not say it, we booked this hotel specifically because it had a pool and sauna, we paid for our weekend back in February and quite a sum of money too!! We arrived 18th April to be told by very cold and emotionless staff sorry there is no pool or sauna it is closed due to health and safety, whilst a sign on thier reception desk stated planned maintenance.
We were offered no discount for the lack of facilities, i am going to discuss this in small claims as there web site is offering facilities they do not provide, if i had wanted just a room i would have been in the travelodge nearer central London.
An impassive you owe a deposit of £50 per room which we had two which i was unaware of taken from my card on entry the fact they alread had £324 of my money for two months no mention.
The hotel is tired looking and needs some attention the tap fixngs are all crusted and corroded the bathroom sink would not empty and the toilet door would not stay latched unless locked from the inside.
This hotel is too far from central london at least a 45min tube ride each way so if you should be unfortunate enough to stay here bear that distance in mind, i would suggest it is better for heathrow travel wise.
I think you can tell i am fed up with this place as i have had no reply from the owner to my complaint, but the tea they serve is happy shopper dishwater cheap brand as is the coffee so avoid this at breakfast time, and no fried egg or mushrooms either my personal favourites.
I will actually revise my review if the owner has the decency to compensate me and my family for ruining our relaxing weekend away.
Lastly direct to the owner could you ask your reception staff to look up as guests arrive i am sure it would be seen as polite to engage guests immediately im sure the paperwork they were fiddling with can wait a minute.

Room Tip: Before you part with your cash ensure that the spa you paid through the nose for is actually open an...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Delamigo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Firstly we got to the hotel and Theresa at reception checked us in took our debit card and took money without is entering a pin which we wasn't comfortable with. She didn't bother to tell us what she was taking and said the rooms had been paid for and the deposit was £50 total as we had 2 rooms. Later as our rooms weren't ready another receptionist tried to take more money from us and his attitude was horrible. The stairs and bannister where broke the rooms where cold and the heating didn't work. They didn't inform us that the jacuzzi and swimming pool were out of order which we where looking forward too. The floors where creaky and loud. We where sat at the bar waiting for our friends who where having a cigarette outside to order our drinks together we where followed inn and the car staff told us it didn't matter if they where outside to just order a drink after that we walked out and went to our rooms. We where also told that we could have parking the next day as we wanted to out to sightsee in London centre. Fortunately we had bought items and needed to go back the car as the manger asked if we where staying at the hotel and that parking was until 3 after that it would be an £80 fine another thing Theresa got wrong!!! Overall I will never stay again thank god we where only there 1 night, this is a 2 star hotel at most a 3

• Stayed April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Ramada Hounslow - Heathrow East
Sofitel London Heathrow
#1 of 23 in Hounslow
4.5 of 5 stars 8,766 reviews
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel

Been to The Continental Hotel? Share your experiences!