“Good hotel, nice refurb - great for Heathrow & Twickenham”

Park Grand London Heathrow
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, restricted parking on site.

Very nicely refurbished hotel, clean and modern. Reception and bar let down by the poor level of service. A couple in our party were matter of factly informed that they would have to have two separate singles! No apology or compensation. A poor level of English language spoken, and getting a drink (then paying for it!) is ridiculously slow and difficult.

That said, our room was extremely clean, with high quality fixtures and fittings. A massive and comfortable bed, complimentary bottles of water, room safe, massive shower and free WiFi made the stay (for us) an excellent value for money visit.

More work on the service and this will be an unbeatable hotel in this area!

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed September 5, 2012

What I liked: clean, good decor, room size adequate, powerful shower, very comfortable bed, quick checkin.

What I didn't like: Luke warm shower...someone else mentioned this before and I'm almost positive that the hotel limits the water temperature just to save money, food was terrible being only marginally above a school dinner, our drinks took along time to come. When in the restaurant which is certainly more akin to a cafeteria they asked for our room number but then couldn't find any trace of us checking in. A manager then interrupted our meal (which for a few minutes gave us respite from the challenge of eating overlooked steak, mash potatoes served in what looked like an ashtray and more salt than the dead sea) and basically inferred that we had done something wrong as the room number we gave was not registered on the computer as having anyone in there... Lights...I couldn't find how to turn the lights off in the bedroom. On calling down to reception I was told to remove the room card...great, lights are now off but if I want to turn one back on again, including the bedside light, I have to get out of bed to put the card back in. Seriously, unless your 18 or dont have a clue what makes a good hotel don't come here unless it's under £60 ... Then one might argue it begins to get into the realms of good value.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Having to make regular visits to the area to visit family, we were so pleased to come across this hotel. The entrance hall is lovely and the room was very modern, extremely clean and had everything we wanted. The staff were very helpful and friendly and we will definitely be using this as our regular stay over.
We had room service which was very good, reasonably priced and presented very well.
The only minuses would be that car parking is limited and expensive (though luckily for us, we can park at the family's house and get a 5 minute bus trip to the hotel) and although the breakfast was well cooked and presented, we felt it could do with a bigger selection, especially in the cold buffet.
But overall - a great addition to the area!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter but you are bound to get some noise as on plane flight path and also o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I really can't understand how this place has attracted some really critical reviews in its short 'lifetime'! It is still very new and young, so there are of course some teething problems to be worked out - and indeed, at the time of writing, the building isn't 100% finished, with some of the external fascias missing and construction workers present to the rear of the building. However, it offers a new, alternative option to travellers needing an hotel pre- and/or -post-flight to/from Heathrow.
First of all - location. I wouldn't say that this was a good option for tourists, or other visitors, wanting to access central London. It is a little far out, and not the most accessible for public transportation options - it's 'do-able', but not particularly conveniently. It really is more of an airport hotel that isn't physically 'on' the airport - which can sometimes be a good thing! I accessed the hotel using the tube from LHR and found the directions provided on the hotel's own website unnecessarily confusing - so if you get off at Osterley, simply turn right and keep walking...and walking! It's a bit of a trek, but once you spot the BP petrol garage on the opposite side of the road, you're nearly there - the hotel is just in front of it. I'm not sure that using the tube to Osterley is the best option - personally, I'd get off at Hounslow Central, cross the road, turn right and get the No. 120 bus at the bus stop right ahead of you - it's only two stops to the hotel. This journey just avoids the long walk!
The hotel is a little isolated, but there are a number of facilities nearby. There are a number of takeaways - various cuisines! - and a few convenience stores/off-licences, along with a pub, ATM etc. in the vicinity. For any other shopping needs and/or facilities, it would mean a 20-minute walk into Hounslow, or a five-minute bus journey. The 120 leaves from close to the hotel, just before the halal steakhouse, (a very short walk). Hounslow, though not necessarily the most exciting of places, does offer shopping, casual dining and - for late arrivals - a 24hr ASDA supermarket.
I made my booking via an external agent, which meant that breakfast wasn't included in rates; if you book via the hotel's website or reservations dept., breakfast is included. Incidentally, be aware that the rates initially offered on the hotel's site don't include taxes so if you're making comparisons, wait until the final prices are displayed. I can't comment on the quality of the breakfast, however - but it might be worth paying a little more to have it included, since options in the immediate vicinity are limited.
The reception area is quite impressive; all pale marble, trendy light fittings, dark wood and floral displays. It is also very clean - as is the whole hotel. It's been mentioned in a previous review, but I really don't understand why they put steps in a new-build hotel, whch lead from the reception area to the lifts - surely a small ramp would be better? Everyone has wheelie cases these days - but more importantly - I am not sure how well this complies with access necessities for wheelchair-users. Best to check beforehand if this is at all an issue for you.
The bar and restaurant lead off from the open-plan reception area.
My room is a 'deluxe double', and located to the rear of the hotel on the 4th floor. I'd recommend requesting a rear-facing room - they overlook a low-rise housing development but, if you manage to get one in the centre of the hotel, you'll avoid any possible road-noise. There really isn't much noise anyway, to be honest - despite the steady stream of aircraft arriving overhead. The room in quite well-sized with a large, very high, bed. Everything is spotlessly clean and tidy - and more like what I would expect in a 4* major chain hotel, rather than the smaller collection to which this hotel belongs. I do think that this place delivers to the best of its ability, without charging rates reflective of other properties which provide similar standards. The room features all the extras I, personally, appreciate; a work-desk with ample power-supply sockets, (UK, European and international), a mini-fridge, (empty - so not a mini-bar!), a kettle, along with tea/coffee/hot chocolate, a large plasma-screen TV, an iron and board, ample and ambient lighting, underfloor bathroom heating etc. There is a single - though large - floor-to-ceiling window in the room, which provides sufficient natural light during the day, but can be well closed-off by heavy curtains to ensure a darkened room for a good sleep. I have appreciated the space to 'move around' the room - it hasn't felt claustrophobic - but then again, I am staying on my own, so not sure how couples might feel. Even though this is sold as a double, there is really only one chair in the room - i.e. the desk work chair - the other being a small stool located beneath the long mirror. It might have been nice to have a couple of lounger chairs, or at least another relaxing chair, for the second person, should there be two of you in the room - at the moment, one would need to sit on the bed.
Technophiles - there are a multitude of connections at the desk, (most of which I don't understand!), but which will provide, I assume, all you might ever need! There are separate sockets for UK, US and EU plugs - which means that if you have a few devices and an adaptor or two, you could make use of them all. There's also a separate USB port, so handy for those Apple-fiends with ipods/iphones/ipads etc.! More UK sockets lie beneath the desk.
The bathroom is all matte beige tiles. There is a toilet, large, (double?!), shower, and a circular sink/vanity unit. It might be an 'issue' to some that there's no bath - and I do occasionally appreciate a relaxing soak! - but I have come to understand that many hotels are leaning towards only showers, from an environmental POV. The shower that is there, though, is lovely - one of those rainforest type-things. There's also a handheld unit atached to the wall. It took a while for the water to heat up, but - as I generally find - urn on the water to the sink and this speeds things up. There are some ameneties provided - soap, shower cap, shampoo and conditioner etc. All are 'chain-branded' - i.e. 'Shaftesbury Hotel'. The underfloor heating can be controlled from within the bedroom - but I have kept it on full for the whole time!
I cannot comment on the dining options, the bar or any transfers that the hotel might offer, since I haven't used any.
This hotel really does make a refreshing, pleasant addition to the choices available at Heathrow. As a regular at many of the hotels in the locality, I'm pleased to welcome it. It isn't necessarily the cheapest on offer, of course, but shouldn't be dismissed just because it isn't directly on the airport perimiter - I'd much rather stay here at £66, single, p/n - including breakfast - than in the likes of the Sheraton at Heathrow, for example. As always, you have to do your sums - on one night of my stay, the Travelodge Heathrow Central was wanting a rate of £69, while this place could be had for £66 - £3 cheaper, but including full breakfast, free wifi, in-room ameneties etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Alec P
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Firstly it took us 3 attempts to get suitable room. We were given a double after paying for a twin then relocated to a room that already had people in it which was embarrassing for us and apparently traumatizing for the female in the couple. We then went to the "gym" which consisted of a running machine, a bike that had not been fully assembled and a ventilation housing on top of the dumbells which also hid a razor blade that lay on the floor. Appalling. The room and decor in the hotel were good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joseph B
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We recently stayed here, and I was willing to give some slack due to the fact that they had only been open a month or two, and there are always teething problems (though they were still charging rates significantly higher than a lot of their nearby competitors). I am not a picky person, look at my other reviews and almost all are overwhelmingly positive. I have stayed at Best Westerns all over the world and have never been as disappointed as this time.

We had a lot of trouble checking in, the staff really did not know what they were doing and added being unhelpful and unconcerned on top of that. I can easily forgive the first one, but the other two are inexcusable. It took more than half an hour just trying to process our payment and get a receipt (which we still don't have, even though we tried to get it the next morning as well). We were the only guests visible the entire time, and two of the desk clerks entirely ignored us while the third was entirely at a loss to the point we considered finding an alternate hotel for the night.

When we finally got checked in, we were then not offered any help with our luggage, they just watched us struggle along with two large bags each (we were at the end of a long trip). They didn't even tell us which way the rooms were and there are not any signs that would be helpful. They watched us go the wrong way without saying anything and wander about the lobby looking for the elevator which turned out to be up some stairs and behind a door. They watched my pregnant wife and I try to haul our bags up the stairs and through the doors without lifting a finger or even expressing concern... It wasn't that they were busy, there wasn't another soul to be seen, they literally just watched us the entire time like we were in an Olympic event. For some reason the hotel designers have also not felt it necessary to put a ramp from the lobby to the elevators meaning you can't wheel your luggage and have to lift it up to the landing.

The room decor is nice, though again they made some serious design flaws that I don't understand. I have stayed in hundreds of hotel rooms and it is a fairly simple formula.

They laid out the bed on the wrong side of the room, instead of being tucked behind where the bathroom is, the head of the bed is immediately beside the door to the room. This may seem like a small thing, but it means you get extra noise from the halls and if one of you goes to get a snack or something and opens the door, anyone sleeping in the room is subjected to the hall lights and on view of anyone who happens to walk by the hall. It also means when someone turns on the bathroom light you are face to face with it in bed. Simply switching the bed and desk locations would entirely avoid these issues... and every other hotel room I have been in has it laid out that way.

There is also a VERY bright green LED light in the ceiling near the head of the bed which doesn't seem to be attached to a smoke alarm or anything. It is enough to illuminate the entire room when you have the lights off (enough to read my non-illuminated watch by). My wife sleeps on her side facing that direction and had to put on a sleeping mask so she could shut it out and get some sleep. If they think we need a little nightlight, maybe put it in the bathroom instead of where it will disturb sleeping. I don't know why you put up expensive blackout curtains and then light up the whole place from the inside in a way you can't shut off.

The bed is on a platform high enough that even with my six foot frame, I have to hop up onto it. Any children or short adults might well need a boost just to get into bed, another example of decor over functionality. They have decided to go with the two small beds pushed together instead of a king or queen size. This is relatively common in Europe in older hotels because they were built in a way that you simply could not get the bigger beds up into the rooms. Newer hotels mostly have the king size mattresses, not sure why this one decided to not follow the trend.

Wake up call was missed, thankfully we had a backup travel alarm clock as we had an early flight. For a hotel that will largely be a stopping point for Heathrow traffic, getting wake-up calls right is something they need to have 100% right. It could be disastrous for someone missing their international flight.

We booked a taxi, and the hotel clerk assured us of the flat rate price (we had limited British currency left as we were leaving in the morning, so needed to know whether we had to withdraw more). Of course the rate was 50% above what they had told us and thankfully we had enough change to cover it.

We had another couple with us who stayed at a British chain hotel we had never heard of (Premier Inn) nearby and we had dinner there. It was miles better than this hotel, and a fraction of the price. In addition it had cafes, pubs, coffee shops, restaurants, etc all in the courtyard of their building. The Park Grand is on it's own with nothing of note nearby, so you are stuck eating at the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Provost2
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed one night while in transit waiting for a flight. Very handy for the airport. Staff efficient. At the price, I expected breakfast to be included, but it wasn't. Complained about tepid water in shower and was offered use of shower I another room, two storeys higher up!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business