“Fun”
Review of Virtual Aviation

Virtual Aviation
Ranked #1 of 2 Fun & Games in Hounslow
More attraction details
Owner description: Be a Airline Pilot for a Day and fulfil your dream of flying a big, powerful jet airliner! Go behind the scenes inside a professional airline training centre at Heathrow or Gatwick and take the controls of a £10-million Airbus or Boeing full-motion flight simulator, normally reserved for pilot training. An experienced airline pilot will be your own personal instructor, providing friendly hands-on guidance.
Reading
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I never seen such a big machinery that is going in and out the hole. It was so amazing! I wish to gother they experience again.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Naziha C

Monte Gordo, Portugal
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Esp for some who is scared of flying!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Wonderful exp. Gets rid of your flying nerves...!
One gets a real feel of being in the air & take off/landind.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank Anita J
Wadsworth, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Flight Simulator”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

It was a nice experience to feel like you were actually in the cockpit of a jet fighter doing acrobatics.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Jim M
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
303 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 506 helpful votes
“A thought provoking experience”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The Gatwick simulator is actually a few miles down the road in Burgess Hill. This vast facility has about 12 simulators all lined up relating to various aircraft. Virgin airlines use a majority of the facilities but other airliners take part.
The cockpit is an exact mockup of the aircraft itself, in our case a 747 which I understand is the workhorse of the sky. We were given about 35 min briefing, explanation of the controls, then the two of us took it turn and turn about to fly the aircraft and takeoff, a fairly simple procedure, compared with the landing, which was very difficult. We had an hour but this disappeared and seem like 10 min . lt. Chris, our pilot for the day, told me that the kids are much better at doing this than the adults because they are fresh off their gaming machines and have the mindset to do the various tasks of coordination required.
The pilot and the co-pilot have an exact duplicate of everything so one can take over from the other in case of illness or any other reason.
The visuals of the landscape are moderately impressive but the flight simulator I was using was 20 years old. I understand that the latest simulators carry full geographical data which frankly would have been much more spectacular.
For me, the value was seeing how much goes on in the cockpit. It is good to know that landing can be set to auto. I'm not quite sure how much the modern pilot has to do. I found the experience interesting, and it was possible to talk to a working pilot a little bit about his attitude, conditions etc. I felt it wise to avoid any conversation about the politics between various airlines and just stick to the technical side.
I would not call it a fun experience because I think this is trivialising the whole matter, but it is interesting and involving and in a way improved my confidence in flying seeing the situation from the pilots point of view.
The whole experience cost £480 and that was on special offer. Expect to pay more.
Worth it? Yes.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank Brian-Snellgrove
Winchester, UK
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Best fun ever”
Reviewed January 27, 2011

The corporate day we had at Heathrow was amazing. The best fun I've every had and very realistic

Visited January 2011