“Location is everything - pricey food and drink”

Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersGold level
Denmark
“Location is everything - pricey food and drink”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

My wife and I stayed here one night to catch an early flight out of Terminal 4. The location for this is ideal, as you can walk to the terminal in just 5 - 10 minutes.

We have stayed at this hotel before, and decided to stay again as we got a fair price (Hilton Spring Sale) that also included an excellent breakfast buffet. We would probably not have stayed here, if we have had to pay standard prices.

At check in we had to wait in a pretty long line, and when we finally got to our room, the card key did not work properly. So I had to go back to have anothe key that did the job - apparently the magnetic key card had been worn.

The rooms are on the small side, but ok for a short stay. Our bathroom was not up to Hiltons normal cleaning standards, and we had to remove toothpaste remnants from the area around the sink.

We dined at Oscar's. Food and drink was good, but quite pricey for what we actually got.

The service at Oscar's was good, whereas service at the Brasserie restaurant, where we had breakfast was avarage (had to wait quite a while to get black coffee...).

I find this hotel ok, but overpriced.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NemoTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2010

I still think the Premier Inn on Bath Road offers the best vfm at Heathrow but I can't deny that the Hilton is best for quelity and location. In the end its just a matter of money. If I caould afford to stay here every time I flew then I would. Maybe I will when the kids fly the nest and I only have to buy one room!

The good things are obvious. A landmark building in its time. A Norman Foster building I think originally for BAAs Sterling Hotels experiment. The internal spece is very relaxing and airy although its now been mimicked by hotels like the Priemer Inn and Bath Road Marriott. We had rooms on the Honours floor with one overlooking the restaurant and pool. The style is typical Hilton - a bit reserved and olf fashioned with dark wood and traditional styling.

Staff service is excellent with a quick and efficient check in. They were very helpful in arranging an early check in at 11am. I could park (slightly awkwardly outside the reception) for 10 mins to drop my bags befoer parking the car.

Car parking at the hotel is expensive at 25 GBP (sorry I'm using a US terminal with no pound sign!). However the BAA long term parking is close by and about 3 mins by shuttle to terminal 4. Its walkable in about 15 mins. Cost me about 85GBP for 2 weeks and a few days.

The terminal is a 6 minurte walk along a dedicated walkway to Terminal 4 which has huge advantages over off site hotels. You can check in at self check in terminals in Departures within 24 hours of flying. Be aware that Deltas have limited hours of 5am to 5pm. You still need to drop bags but, being just a short walk away, we could do thst in the morning and still had time to return to the hotel pool.

Its worth mentioning the dedicated walkway. It must be 0.25km long and does nothing else - just connects the hotel to the Terminal. It makes no economic sense and must be something that could only have happened when BAA built the hotel and wanted to provide the connection. It must have cost 1 million GBP surely?

The Pool looks like Norman Foster might have forgotten about it in the original plan. For a luxury hotel its a bit small and is only 1m deep. Unfortunately when we visited the hot tub was cool. For a high priced hotel, that sort of detail isn't acceptable. However, the sauna and steam rooms were OK. The pool shuts at 9pm with last entry at 8:30. By teh time we got out at 8:45 it looked deserted.

Evening meals were out of budget for us. You'd need to be someone living at public expense before it looked like value. The Italian worked out at about 50GBP per head without wine and even a burger was about 15GBP. But, hey, Terminal 4 with a Weatherspoons and Cafe Rouge etc is only a 6 min walk away if you're hungry.

Breakfast was included so I ate my own weight in bacon, waffles and a wide range of good quality pastries, meats and breads. Combined with the excellent service and pleasant outlook from the breakfast room it was a first class breakfast.

All-in-all. If you can afford this and are travelling from Terminal 4 it can't be beaten. I'd better start saving for the next visit!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I redeemed HiltonHHonors points to get a free one-nighter for a commitment in a nearby town. As advertised, no restrictions applied and I was able to reserve at a peak time.

I had a standard 3rd floor room which was well equipped, with good blackout curtains and a comfortable bed. If you need comfort and quiet this is a good choice - I have stayed at some airport hotels with paper thin doors and walls before ! This will not disappoint you.

It is just over a year since I was last here and I felt that food and beverage prices had noticeably increased. No-one expects a major airport hotel to provide a bargain bucket but this one can absolutely make you yelp ! This property and Terminal 4 are at the isolated end of the airport complex so, unlike the series of hotels on the Bath Road at the other side of the airport, there is no competion - unless you get yourself a cab ride.

There was a minor maintenance complaint that was happily taken care of by very friendly and efficient staff. For a large airport hotel, all members of staff can be very pleasant and helpful which does create a good feeling of personal service.

I said last time that I would use it again and I certainly would. It is ideal for those flying out of Terminals 4 and 5 at Heathrow, whereas the Bath Road hotels are not.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tromsopete
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed for one night at the Hilton Heathrow so I could be a short walk away from Terminal 4 and get a good long sleep before a flight to Sydney, which was early in the morning. On the whole this is a very good airport hotel, with excellent facilities. The lobby and reception area is large, with a hotel shop onsite where you can get toiletries, gifts and magazines. Hotel reception staff were speedy with check-in and very polite. I booked via Expedia and got a B&B deal and noticed how much more expensive the rooms were quoted as on the tariff at the front desk. There are three restaurants (one is a stylish Japanese restaurant called Zen), and a cocktail bar all on the lobby floor, so you're spolied for choice. I found food to be expensive and the drinks at Dancer's Bar were expensive enough already, then a service charge was added which was ridiculous. I stayed away from buying hotel food. Airport food is always more expensive anyway, but in case you want to spend a lot on a meal, then it's better to get food in the airport terminal. Beware of the very pricey internet connection in the rooms, too. I never used it, but Hiltons charge too much for their wireless and broadband use.
My room was spacious and like other Hilton rooms I've stayed in, rather average decor. Bathroom was small, but at least they had nice Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries! Toothbrushes and razors are complimentary from housekeeping and there are plenty of teas and coffees free in the room. I was pleased that a Living Well Health Club was just downstairs. The pool was actually a good size, very quiet and relaxing. I used it the afternoon I arrived at the hotel and in the morning very early at 6am just as it opening before I had to go to Terminal 4. There was nobody else swimming when I was there. The gym is quite big and open to residents 24 hours. There is a sauna and steam room, but no jacuzzi.
Breakfast was included in my room rate, which was £165, about average for a 4 star London hotel, but I still thought it was expensive, although the rooms were more direct through the hotel according to what I saw at reception. Conveniently, continental breakfast is served from 5am, with the full buffet starting at 6am, so I just had the continental option at 5am and there was still plenty of good choice. Lots of fresh fruits, cereals, breads and muffins. I was full up enough to not need to get any snack at the airport terminal before I boarded my long flight to Sydney. Okay, so it was an expensive night in a hotel, but I would definitely consider staying here again before a long haul early morning flight, as it helped a lot. At least I got a good night sleep, just a walk under the covered walkway to Terminal 4, plus the health club facilities are very good. It was a mini break itself, for a day and night before take off!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank SophieCalifornia
Garden Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Though I'm a bit underwhelmed by my own review title, the Hilton at T4 is a good, clean, convenient, and reliable option for that night-before-the-early-flight stay. I like to stay out at the airport on those occasions and I have come to appreciate the level of quality and service.

I first visited the Hilton at T4 as a guest of Continental Airlines and received excellent service. It was during a snow closure of LHR and I appreciated the refuge and the chance to shower and exercise after a long flight. When the opportunity to stay there last week arose, I sacrificed an early morning commute in favour of a more relaxed trip out there the evening before.

Access to the hotel is by elevated tube walkway... a rather lengthy walkway so if you are mobility impaired you should contact the hotel for cart pick-up. The elevated walkway starts right at the point you enter the ticketing area having come up from the train. They also have direct shuttle service to T5, so if you land there or are inbound on the Heathrow Express, just stay on the train until T5 and take the continuously running shuttle. Check-in was simple and quick and my room on the fourth floor was clean and smelled fresh. While the room is smallish (especially compared to the nearby Marriott or the LGW Sofitel) it is perfectly fine. The restroom is intermediately sized and has a good shower. My room overlooked the atrium and so the first order of business was to close the drapes... but, looking up at the rooms from the lobby, I could not tell who had drapes open or closed, so don't worry about it.

The bed is Hilton airport hotel comfy and the room was able to be made cool and dark. Sleep was good. While they have a selection of restaurants, you may be shocked at the prices. They are a bit high. You are captive and they know it. I chose the Chinese place Zen, and it was better than I had expected and not too expensive.

Check-out is fast and efficient. Overall, I came, I saw, I slept. A stellar experience? No, but quite good and a reliable pause in the journey.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank GeoMedic
France
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I stayed for one night for an early morning flight, with both evening arrival and morning departure at T5. The Hilton came at less than half price compared to the Sofitel at T5, and with its own shuttle service, the ride to the hotel was quick and painless.
The room was pretty much as I expected: comfortable, quiet, spacious. My window faced the courtyard, a nice feature and a bit more reminiscent of city life than you would otherwise get at an airport hotel. Breakfast was likewise as expected, very good, with friendly and attentive staff keeping it organised.
The only issue I have with the hotel is with reception staff. You're likely to wait for their attention at either check-in or -out, even if there's noone else around. It seems rather unnecessary, and a minor irritant. However, the rest of the hotel works tremendously well for one night, and I would gladly return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank thatsmystuff
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We stayed for one night as we had a early flight to New York the next day. Everything about this hotel is what Hilton hotels are about, Quality. We could not fault this hotel, it was clean, comfortable, the staff were helpful and friendly and very good links to the rest of the airport. As with all hotels we stay in I look for the best deal around, this time we used airport hotels 4 u at £77pnpr (BARGAIN)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Sofitel London Heathrow
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Hilton London Heathrow Airport? Share your experiences!