“Ripped off by Hertz”
Review of Hertz - Heathrow Airport

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ripped off by Hertz UK.
Booked a vehicle on line for the UK for 3 weeks, paid in full before I got there. But I did not use my Hertz gold card.
I was issued with a Hertz Gold Card from Hertz South Africa and was told I could use it for rewardss and upgrades.
When I got to Hertz Heathrow , I asked my wife to take the Gold Card to Hertz gold card section. The lady who served my wife was rude, to start after 18 hours of traveling from Cape Town, JHB, London.
Hertz lady said we were in the wrong section, but decided to sort the car out for me. I confirmed with her that it was fully paid, she confirmed this was so. She also confirmed we could not have an upgrade because the vehicle was not booked on the Gold card.
However unknown to me she booked the vehicle using the Gold Card and added super cover insurance. I verbally confirmed again that there was no extra charges and she confirmed that was the case and handed me a slip of paper approximately A5 in size. Saying this was for the vehicle I had paid for. I did not inspect the piece of paper and signed it.
Unknown to me she had loaded super cover and have subsequentially charged me and R9172.60. Which has subsequentially been deducted from my card.
I have since e-mailed the customer complaints in the UK several times with no joy and in desperation, I have e-mailed there CEO of Hertz South Africa and CEO of Hertz UK Mr. Wils Raubenheimer and Mr. Richard Davies respectively and I have not received a reply.
I feel ripped off and feel Hertz have given me false information, I would never have signed for super cover had I known and I specifically asked the Hertz lady whether there was nay additional charges, to which she replied no, I had paid for everything in full. I believe this is fraudulent behaviour and Hertz have ripped me off R9172.60

• Value for money
Write a reviewReviews (9)

Reviewed January 8, 2020

During a recent rental with a one way drop
        Off to Heathrow. I was presented with a thought obnoxious individual dealing with rental rents. No greeting, rudely informed me that I had cause damage to the car that was chargeable. “Slight damage to a tire” wear and tear. I challenged this statement as politely as possible given his aggressive attitude. At one point when he wanted to confirm that the car was full of fuel he stood in front of me held out his hand and wiggled his fingers in a give me gesture. I asked what he wanted, his reply “GIVE me the keys”. I did so stating the it costs nothing to ask politely.

I asked several time for an explanation on what would happen and what the cost would be, to on both occasions be completely ignored. It went so far as for the individual to turn his back and walk away from me. Eventually I was presents with the total cost which was for the incorrect amount as it did not take into consideration the pre payment. I pointed out that a mistake had been made. The response was “IMPOSSIBLE”. After further discussed the bill was corrected and I departed.

This experience was totally unacceptable and unnecessary.

Date of travel: January 2020
        Reviewed December 26, 2019

We booked a hire car for 9 days through AutoEurope for a Hertz rental at LHR. On arrival at Hertz I presented my paper replacement License (NSW Australia) and my electronic license downloaded via the NSW Service app. I had lost my wallet in Italy several weeks earlier and had to cancel my license and get it reissued. Hertz refused to accept my replacement as valid. They provided no assitance or any help to get a family of four on their way to booked accomodation through Southern England 8 days prior to Christmas. They would not even consider an alternative or provide any alternate arrangements. They clearly were looking for a way not to honour the booking realising they could rent the nominated car at a much greater rate closer to Christmas. I would advise anyone travelling to LHR to avoid Hertz. The manager and office staff are rude uncompromising and care little for their clients. On a positive note the two gentleman that were driving the Hertz shuttle bus from terminal 5 to the Hertz depot bent over backwards to help us. They managed to get the four of us to the National Express Bus terminal at LHR and get us off to Southhampton. Hertz management should promote their Shuttle Bus drivers to manage the service at LHR and send the Manager and staff in the office to a customer relations course. Note to Hertz that we booked this car 6 months in advance!

Date of travel: June 2019
          • Location cleanliness
          • Pick-up wait
          • Shuttle
          • Drop-off wait
        Reviewed December 24, 2019

We waited ages to be served the car didn’t fit our luggage and then we waited ages to be served again. The staff were unhelpful and rude. Particularly a younger woman.

Then they refused to fulfil the booking. Then tried to charge us double for apparently a larger car.

Not happy after a long flight...shouldn’t have to fight to get a booking sorted.

Reviewed December 12, 2019

When we arrived at Heathrow Airport we had about ten minutes to wait for the Hertz shuttle. The driver was friendly and loaded our luggage for us and drove us direct to the Hertz depot. As we are Gold Members, a monitor on the shuttle showed our name and vehicle location so when we arrived we only had to walk to the location listed to find our car waiting and ready to go!
        When we returned the vehicle we were met by a staff member who checked the car, helped us unload and directed us to the shuttle which took us back to the airport.
        Excellent service.

• Drop-off wait
          • Vehicle condition
          • Value for money
        Write Your Own Review

Been to Hertz - Heathrow Airport? Share your experiences!

Add Photos & Videos