“English Old Charm”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eastcote
Cologne, Germany
“English Old Charm”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

All together a satisfying stay. 500 years you can see, smell, hear and feel. Breakfast is ...english...
Nice staff, cheap beer at the bar, quite, close proximity to the Underground. Outside could have been cleaner and should have been in a better state.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
xmialoux
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Having stayed here for one night only I would never return.
The room was very basic and looked like it had been decorated in the 70's and not updated since. I'm not sure where the million pound update went but it certainly wasn't in the room I stayed in nor the thread bare carpet on the stairs.
The plumbing sounded like it had been put in in the victorian era as we had to flush the toilet before turning the tap on to stop the noise from it. There was also a constant banging throughout the night from an unknown source.
When boyfriend asked at checkout why his card had been taken three times he was met with a very surely reply from the guy at reception.
There are better hotels not to much further away for a similar price.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank xmialoux

Travelers are raving about these Eastcote hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Having read the tripadvisor reviews, we were very sceptical so we visited the hotel a week prior to our stay to check it out. We were given a room in the new wing, the room is clean and nicely decorated. However, the bed was very uncomfortable. We had breakfast on all three days, food was average but I enjoyed the fresh fruits.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new building.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

If you need to be in Eastcote then there is possibly no alternative but to stay here. It is within comfortable walking distance of Eastcote station, has adequate parking facilities and breakfast is ok; otherwise it has very little going for it. The dingy and dated rooms are of variable size with variable facilities, including showers that defy all attempts to maintain a consistent temperature.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank northernblue109
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed here for one night instead of the four we were booked in for - due to the appalling service from the receptionist, the dirty state of the room and that we weren't getting any value for money. Just because it is an old Tudor lodge from the 15th century - does not mean that the place has to smell and look like it! Little things really made it a bad experience i.e.:

1. Smallest bathroom on earth, with a corner shower cubicle that barely fit my partner in - and he is not a big guy.

2. Light switches hidden behind the headboard – so it took us awhile to find them!

3. Surly reception staff

The greeting was not welcoming, in fact as we had arrived early, we asked if the room was available, and if so – could we change into clean clothes in the room and leave our bags there till the evening. We were informed that we would have to pay an additional night for this privilege, hence we were forced to open our luggage in the bar area (to get clean clothes) and then use the bar bathrooms to change in.

After one night of staying there, we decided we’d had enough as this place is a rip-off! We would definitely NOT recommend that anyone stays there.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruby N N
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We travelled up from Devon and stayed here for 1 night in November, for a family wedding anniversary party. I was aware beforehand that this hotel had received some negative reviews and at first glance at a room one can understand it to a degree. The place IS old and a tad shabby; routes to some of the rooms are convoluted and do not inspire confidence. But our room was clean, the bed was very comfortable (though only a double); there were more towels in the bathroom than I have ever seen in any hotel...however the shower didn't work very well so couldn't be bothered to struggle with that!
BUT, the very small number of staff were extremely pleasant , efficient and VERY hands on. If the hotel itself is nearer 3 star, they gave 5 star plus service throughout our stay. The evening itself was managed like clockwork and the same few staff (because that's all there are, maybe 4?) were on duty in the morning, managing the incredibly good breakfast followed by our various departures with efficiency and humour! Frankly I couldn't fault the professionalism of the staff. The dated room decor and standard of the plumbing and general feel of the place itself is not their fault. It does need overhauling and updating; this is something the management needs to, and SHOULD look at.

Room Tip: Can't really help with this, but would presume rooms away from the main road would be quieter, a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ChrisH577
North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Good Grief!

Are you ready for this?

Work necessitated another night away, so The Tudor Lodge was booked for me as the nearest hotel to where I needed to be the next day. We even paid extra to have larger rooms. After a few hours drive down the motorway my colleague and I arrived and checked in. I won't lie, I did not expect anything wonderful as even from the outside, the hotel looked a tad 'Not Very Me'. I was given room 29 and my colleague a room nearby. So off we went, across the car park to what looked like a Granny Flat. Uh oh.

I went upstairs to my room. The room was large with a double bed, a small kitchen area and a bathroom. The problem was, the level of hygiene in this room, or should I say the lack of it. It didn't smell very nice. A mix of general staleness and cigarette smoke. I have attached photographs for your viewing 'pleasure'. From the doorway I could see visible stains on the floor tiles of the bathroom . The bath was streaked with brown marks and had black mould growing in the sealant and brownish streaks of body fat and skin cells in-between the tiles. Yes, that IS what happens when you don't clean properly. The grease and fat and skin cells stain the tiles and grab further dirt to fester. YUK! As if I needed ANY more reason NOT to stay in this room, I dared to open the fridge in the kitchen area. It contained what looked like stale flakes of sausage roll inside it. NO!

So off I went to reception and, showing the receptionist the photos I had taken of the room, explained that the room was not clean, it was unacceptable and please may I move rooms?

This time I was assigned room 22. This was in the older part of the hotel (which I later discovered was a 15th century house that had been used as a hospital…not a very clean one by the looks of it?). The key couldn't open the lock. I did wonder if I had the right key? Perhaps I wasn't concentrating as I was trying not to touch any of the surface walls or surrounding area due to how grimy everything looked. It took a few minutes of jiggling the key in the lock, while the flimsy door half wobbled almost open, before it eventually opened……. and OH GOOD GRIEF….

Again this was a large room but was very old fashioned. A large wooden bed, low period beams (15th century) and exposed brickwork. The room smelled musty and old. The light was hazy as if looking through a grey veil, as it appeared that there was a lot of dust floating about. The bathroom was grubby with the same issue of stained tiles. Don't tile a bathroom in white if you have NO intention of cleaning it daily please. But most of all, this room had a nasty atmosphere. It felt 'wrong'. I can't describe why, but I really didn't want to be in this room for any longer than necessary nor unpack My colleague came to check on me. She too felt the same sensation and also agreed how dirty the room was. So with that we both grabbed our bags and returning to reception (again with photos as evidence), we asked to be moved to new rooms yet again. Now this was the third time I had asked to move rooms as they weren't right, and I was beginning to feel a bit like Goldilocks.

This time the receptionist took us to the new wing of the hotel to view the room first. We looked in room 48. It was modern and a bit like a Premier Inn or Holiday Inn. Generic. It seemed OK so we agreed we would have one of these each.

SILLY me. Once I got to my room (number 49) I had a proper look around. Well you would after the last two rooms wouldn't you? There was a smell of stale smoke in this room mixed with what almost smelled like urine? The white net curtains were grey and looked as if they had been hung out to dry on the M25 until enough pollution from exhaust smoke had discoloured them before being hung up in room 49. Oh and the white tiled bathroom? Would you like to guess at the condition of the bath and the stains I found?

I went to see my colleague who had attempted to lie on the bed in her room, which she informed me was like lying on a broken mattress. That was IT! Three strikes and you're out! We headed straight back to reception having not once unpacked, cancelled our reservations and fled to the Hilton Watford instead.

I have no idea why the hygiene levels of all of these rooms were so awful. Nor why anyone would accept this as OK and stay here? Maybe because I travel almost weekly and stay at many hotels I know what is acceptable and what is not? Maybe I just like to be clean? Sometimes you get one room that has slipped through the net and everything else is OK, but for all 3 rooms of mine to be so shockingly stained, plus the issue of creepy room 22 with the door that didn't lock properly was enough to send me running to the safety of The Hilton, which incidentally was actually £50 cheaper than The Tudor Lodge.

OK, so as pointless as this question may seem, let's ask it anyway. Would I stay here again? NO.
Would I recommend this hotel to anyone?

Maybe if you are a ghost hunter and like bad atmospheres then by all means knock yourself out and stay in room 22. But bring a cloth and a bottle of Febreeze with you…

Room Tip: Book one in The Hilton Watford!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Vanessa B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastcote
The Barn Hotel
Crescent Hotel
Crescent Hotel
#5 of 8 in Harrow
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Tudor Lodge? Share your experiences!