“Great wedding.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiston
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great wedding.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding Fri & Sat night. On arrival we were made to feel very welcome. (Jess was great on reception) The double room was not huge but adequate for our stay. We used the bar on the Fri night which was fine, slightly expensive for drinks in my opinion, the food was good and reasonably priced. We did not have the greatest nights sleep, the walls are very thin, we were woken at 0130 by people returning to their rooms, we then had the pleasure of the couple in the room next door having a domestic at 0300 for 30 mins hearing every word. I used the pool in the morning which was good and a fair size, I also used the sauna. We then had breakfast, plenty of choice but I feel that the tables could have done with a clean and also more attention to the cleanliness of the glasses and plates. The wedding was fantastic and the staff very helpful. For a De Vere hotel I expected a better standard.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hotcomper
Danielle F, Front Office Manager at Village Hotel Liverpool, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very happy to hear you had a great time at the wedding held at the hotel.

With regards to noise please be assured that as soon as we are made aware of guest disturbances we do ensure the noise levels are lowered and we will then monitor that area for a minimum length of time. On behalf of the hotel I would like to apologise if there was noise made that we were not aware of and could not control. I will also ensure your feedback is passed onto the Verve Grill to improve on their service.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Liverpool.

Kind Regards

Kayleigh Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here for the highest rate we've ever paid for a Devere hotel, on the 28th and 29th of March. Lovely girl on reception, check in quick. The receptionist booked us a table as part of the deal and I double checked if our two kids meals were included in the price, yes. Headed off for the pool only to be told that no kids after 5pm, it was already 4.40pm but as not told when checking in, they let us stay later. Went down for dinner and soon became apparent that the kids meals were NOT included...£29 for however many occupied the room, as we had been told otherwise, the manageress let us all eat for the price paid, without me having to explain may I add.
Following morning, I had backache and my son hadn't lept a wink as the springs were poking through his 'put up bed'. Asked for extra pillows to be left for our second night, done straight away. Breakfast ok but not the usual Devere choice, what I was disgusted about was the fact that there were no tongs to handle the bread for toast or for the pastries!!! My partner asked me not to make a fuss and as a cupboard was open I grabbed the tongs from there myself! Lovely day at Liverpool, train times were ideal and only about 20min into Liverpool. Eat at a new Chinese Restaurant in Whiston on way back...superb. Had a drink in the bar and it was quite funny watching people arrive in their 80's gear for the 80's evening in the function room...we were undisturbed by any noise. Back to room and my son rang down for an extra quilt to padd up his bed, very prompt with the quilt but no apology when explained why it was needed?!
In summary then: Clean, food ok and ideal for Liverpool. Too expensive, room too small for four, paid under a £100 January for a suite in Cheadle...that wa samazing with a massive livimg room area. Hasn't put us off the Devere,the Brombrough one is still the best for all meals.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Danielle F, Front Office Manager at Village Hotel Liverpool, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept my apologies regarding being wrongly informed about the restaurant offer, I am glad to hear that this was rectified by the manager on duty.

At reception we do our best to inform all guests with children about the pool times, I apologise that this didn't happen upon checkin.

I will also pass on your comments to our housekeeping and restaurant manager to help them improve our service.

If you do choose to come back to the hotel please do not hesitate to contact me and I will ensure that you have a great stay with us.

Kind Regards

Kayleigh Thompson
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was grubby and noisy and the service was appalling. I will most certainly not be ever visiting the De Vere Village in Liverpool again, nor would I recommend it to my friends or family. Staff were, understandably, embarrassed of the shambolic, disorganised state of their place of work. The only possibly positive thing I have to say about this place is that the dinner was nice. Everything else about our stay was well below our expectations and quite frankly unacceptable.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here with my partner for two nights (29th and 30th March 2013), here's how it went...

Upon arrival Jess (the receptionist) spent ~15 minutes cursing her computer, telling us there is a problem with our room allocation.

Eventually we were allocated room 226; a dated, grubby room with a service-station-like bathroom and off-smelling bed sheets. Certainly not the 'Superior Deluxe Room' we had paid £169 for. Immediately we noticed loud music pumping from a room below. Back to reception we went...

Jess claimed not to know the source of the music, explaining that it must be coming from the girls getting ready below... So we left it at that and visited the (dated and only half functioning) spa.

A few hours later our two friends arrived only to be told that the hotel was full. Even though they had already PAID IN ADVANCE for the room, Jess insisted it was company policy to overbook the hotel and therefore there is always a chance of not getting a room when you arrive. Completely unacceptable!

Upon returning from dinner there was even louder music pumping through the floor. I called reception to ask what was happening. Gary told me there was a function room below (funny how Jess knew nothing about this). I asked what time it was due to finish - 1:00am! Gary promised to 'check the levels' in the function room. Nothing changed and after a further complaint all he could say was 'I'll see what I can do for you'. How this noise level can be considered acceptable for a hotel like this is beyond me, singing along to Love Shack at 1am was not my idea of a relaxing stay.

Breakfast the next morning involved a 25 minute wait for a table, no fruit or orange juice, followed by our table being reallocated by the staff whilst we helped ourselves to hot food. Totally disorganised and unprofessional.

All in all the stay at the hotel was laughable. We made our complaints clear throughout our stay but the staff simply promised to help and did nothing. This hotel is a very poorly ran example of a De Vere hotel which we would not recommend to anyone. A Travelodge at half the price would have been far more comfortable.

1 Thank Ryanbakewell
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here 22nd and 23rd March. Room clean and comfortable. Our first room smelled of cigarette smoke (!) but Jessica on the desk had us moved to another room in a few minutes. We chose this hotel because we like the facilities (pool and sauna) of village hotels. Very enjoyable it was to be swimming when the snow was falling heavily outside!
We went into Liverpool to the "Beatles Story" the next day. Trains run approx. every half hour from Whiston station, and staff on the hotel desk can give you the train times and phone a taxi for you. You could walk to the station which is about a mile away, but the snow was very thick on the pavements so we chose the easy option of a taxi.
The Beatles Story was very enjoyable, easy enough to get to from the station. We were going to go on the Mersey ferry, but it was bitterly cold, so we had a walk to the "Cavern Quarter" and had a very enjoyable drink in the Cavern Pub, where a singer was playing old Beatles songs -Great stuff!
We had the "early doors" meal on the first night- you have to eat between 6-7pm, and have three courses at a cheaper rate. We also had a free drink as an apology for us having to change rooms. Breakfast is an all you can eat buffet! For each meal we were seated quickly, the food was delicious and every member of staff that attended to us were pleasant and efficient. It all added up to a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We had a superior room, which was great (you do get chocs included, but make sure u ask or u won't), jacuzzi in bath with was nice. Room was fanastic.
Leisure facilities was great.

Staff service was poor and let down, as was the breakfast was horrible

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lotteblade
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My fiance and i got a 2 night stay at Village Liverpool and we we're quite dissapointed overall. Room was clean but run down, we had to re-make the bed ourselfs as the duvet wasnt in the cover properly and sheets didnt cover the bed plus it was 2 single beds put together to act as a king size so kept sliding apart thru the night. we had no heating, a manager was supposed to come look at the heating but instead girl from reception brung us an electric heater! We dined in restaurant and the service was so poor and the food was very average, really not worth the money and we got the meal for 2 deal! staff were doing there best though. Breakfast was nice but again staff were under pressure to seat, clear tables and serve customers! Didnt get a great nights sleep as walls are paper thin and plenty ppl having a drunken night, not that we are complaining about ppl are enjoying themselfs. We wld defo not come back to hotel but i will say staff were all friendly and helpfull, think they try there best :-)

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiston
Suites Hotel & Spa -  Knowsley
Mercure St Helens
Mercure St Helens
#3 of 3 in St Helens
Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport

Been to Village Hotel Liverpool? Share your experiences!