“OK, but too noisy and awful breakfast - Would not stay again.”

Village Hotel Liverpool
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiston
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Firstly the positives:-
The acommodation was fine, comfortable bed, good shower, so all the essentials are there.
The spa facilities are nice too and were included in our stay.
The front desk staff were excellent and responded quickly to any problems with the room.
Dinner in both the restaurant and the adjoining pub were great.
The hotel is well connected with a local train running straight into Lime Street only a short drive away with free parking.
The main problem is that this hotel seems to be very popular for wedding and other sorts of parties, and though it's not the fault of the hotel, that caused us problems. We had noisy, drunken guests roaming around the corridors in the early hours, stopping my wife from getting a good night's sleep.
Also, the breakfast was very poor.
It's hard to believe the same kitchen that produced the superb meal we had on our first evening could have churned out the awful cooked breakfasts.
Overall, we would not stay at this hotel again because of the potential for sleepless nights caused by inconsiderate partying guests and the poor breakfast.

Room Tip: If you can do it, ask for a room away from any party groups; though they probably won't be able...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank K60PAD
Write a ReviewReviews (1,375)

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Really nice hotel, stayed for weekend with an evening meal thrown in for first night! The food was really nice, and breakfast superb.

Rooms nice, perhaps could do with a bit of an update, but perfectly fine when all you do is sleep in them.

Used the gym and pool and both were excellent and worth a visit

It's expensive for a taxi into Liverpool, but train station is only a 15 min walk away if your trying to save some pennies!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Well what can I say except thanks goodness for lovely Reception staff because after being checked in by a really helpful Gemma the rest of the stay was down hill ALL the way.
The room decor was ok if not a little dated and had an extremely noisy extractor fan in fact we daren't put it on during the night for fear of waking up the other guests but the bed - errrrr it had those plastic mattress covers on it and when I woke up at 1.30 I thought I'd had an accident I was cold, clammy and wet it was dreadful!!!!! We thought perhaps we had a room suitable to hen and stag do's that perhaps do have drunken accidents!!!!
We had elected to stay in this hotel because of the pool which was out of order!!!
The breakfast well you could have shod a horse with the black pudding it was so dried up and hard, the eggs (I think they were supposed to be fried) were hard bullets.
So all in all by pass this hotel. I will not be stopping here again!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 220
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel rooms need refurbishment (Nov 2012) it is just about acceptable.
Food is excellent, both the breakfast and the 5 course Sunday lunch, which we ate at 5pm.
You get free use of the gym and pool, which is always a bonus. The staff in the restaurant were friendly, efficient, polite and could not do enough for the guests.
The reception staff were very professional and processed our reservation quickly and found us a room on the top floor at the front of the hotel. The car park is safe. Bar prices for beer are very fair (£2.70 pint) wine is expensive. Good stop over for the business traveller, but not much to do near the hotel. If you plan to visit Liverpool, there are better and nearer hotels. The WiFi was excellent in the rooms, signal strength is strong and the password is village (lowercase)
We used the upstairs- downstairs offer, check out their web site for the best offer, they vary enormously.

Room Tip: If you are staying Friday or Saturday nights, ask for quiet room, because of the music concerts and...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike P
Danielle F, Manager at Village Hotel Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Mike P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Tripadvisor can really influence potential future guests decisions so it's really nice that people can see what a lovely time you've had with us.

I'm glad to see that you experienceda lot during you stay with us.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I want to try and be as honest as possible in my review. My partner and I have stayed here twice now. The first time was a family get together last year around boxing day. All was fine, just disturbed by 2 drunken girls returning to their room in the early hours, a brief incident that passed. Just thank God we were not in the room next to them!
We stayed again on the 16th November 2012, which was a Friday night. We had a family get together in Liverpool and returned to the hotel around 12.30am. Got back to the room, room 108 (remember this!), and there was a function on. The music was quite loud and remained so until around 1.30/ 2am. Then, shortly after, we heard a constant stream of doors banging, people going in and out of rooms along our coridoor, shouting, arguing... It sounded like there was a party in one of the rooms. Infact I am certain!
At 2.45 am, I telephoned reception to complain and they said they would have a word. When the noise continued, I again, rang reception and asked for another room, which they did. Great room, although a twin, very quiet! (room 225 for reference!).
In the morning went for breakfast which was Ok, tea was a weak though! When we checked out the staff were very apologetic and said that the duty manager would be contacting us about the matter. Another couple that checked out after us, were also heard to be complaining about the noise and were leaving early.
We were contacted by the manager who again apologized and offered us a special rate if we were to stay again and a free upgrade.
Overall, we felt the facilities were good and the staff were good. Just need to sort out the noisy drunks who spoil it for everyone else.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the ground floor just down from the reception desk be aware! We were in room 10...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank billysausage

Dear billysausage,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Tripadvisor can really influence potential future guests decisions so it's really nice that people can read about the stay you've had with us.

I'm sad to hear that some things during your stay weren't how they should have been but I do hope that this doesn't deter you from staying with us in the future.
I'm glad that our team responded to you in a timely matter to help resolve the issues.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My partner and I came for a get away weekend, some sanity time and a bit of shopping. The hotel was a little tired in comparison to other village hotels but the staff were second to none and more than made up for this. The receptionist staff were very knowledgeable and obliging, the restaurant staff were helpful and friendly and the evening meal was excellent. Breakfast was plentiful, cooked well, hot and varied. Overall a fabulous stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Gailgoode
Danielle F, Manager at Village Hotel Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear Gail Goode,

I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to our team and hearing your lovely words will definately give them some extra confidence.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times on business. The hotel is very close to the motorway (there isn't any noise from there really) so it's convenient to get to. You'll be soending a lot of time in the room or the bar as there is nothing to see in the surrounding area; it's very much in the middle of nowhere. I stayed there for one night; I hadn't been there for a couple of years and the hotel looked more run down than I remember. It could do with a refurb compared to other Village hotels. The bar food is OK; the bistro food I recall as being overpriced for what it was so I wouldn't go there. Stick to the bar. The rooms are noisy but I was given one with a connecting door - so especially noisy! The staff were fine and I'm sure they would have changed my room if I'd asked, For business, it's OK. Not good, but OK. For leisure, especially if you are paying full price, I'd say it's mediocre; you'd have a far nicer time in a good B&B.

Room Tip: Avoid the connecting doors!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HandbagGrrl

Dear HandbagGrrl,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm sorry to hear that our hotel wasn't how you remember it. We are aware that the hotel needs an uplift here and there but I think that we are keeping it together very well until this happens.
The menus in our Verve Grill and Victory Pub have not long been re-written and I am very happy to say that we have some delicous dishes on there.

I do hope that we get to see you again soon.

Steven Simpson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiston
The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
2 mi away
Premier Inn Liverpool (Roby) Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Liverpool? Share your experiences!