“Good value for money for a family break.”

Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here with my Husband and children for a night. I must say the staff very excellent nothing was took much trouble. They were fantastic with my son who has ADHD. Had room service which was good, breakfast was nice the following morning. Pool is nice and warm. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Guest_Response_TA, Manager at Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Helen T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.

I am very pleased that the staff interacted so well with your son and that you felt nothing was too much trouble. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The first thing to say is we didn't stay over at the hotel so cannot comment on the rooms. We attended a friends wedding here, with the ceremony, wedding breakfast and reception held there. I've used Holiday Inn before so we had high hopes. We had an enjoyable day, but were left somewhat disappointed by the 'hotel' experience.
THE GOOD POINTS
The hotel is ideally located near the M6 motorway and East Lancashire Road, so perfect if you live a distance away (good for Haydock races too which is next door). The hotel is well presented, nicely fitted out, with comfortable chairs in the bar area.
THE BAD POINTS
Unfortunately we found quite a few of the staff were a little unfriendly and looked really fed up - not ideal when you're at a wedding! The bar prices are way too high, costing nearly £9 for a beer and a vodka, lime and lemonade. Not only that the lemonade was flat. I also witnessed flat beer being served and two complaints about the quality of the drinks being served in the short time I was at the bar. The food served at the wedding breakfast was, frankly, disappointing too. The produce used seemed cheap (veg and potatoes) and the chicken was not well cooked or presented. The pudding had signs it had just been popped out of the packaging and had a processed taste to it. Disappointing for a wedding.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear baileysmiths,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay.

I am glad that, overall, you had an enjoyable day, but was disappointed to read that the guest service experience did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been shared with the relevant managers for them to action accordingly.

I appreciate your comments and hope that you will consider visiting us again to experience the hotel in its true light. Should you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We needed an overnight stay in the area and when booking a twin room online for £58 for a Saturday night thought that was good value, when we arrived we were advised that didn't include breakfast and would we like it, saying yes we were told that it would be cheaper to buy 2 x £9.95 vouchers for breakfast rather than the £13+ pp in the morning! So beware - book including breakfast or buy the vouchers when checking in! As I am unable due to health reasons to eat a full English my breakfast consisted of 1 box of Frosties, 1 piece of toast with marmalade and 1 mug of tea and for that it cost me £9.95 (if I hadn't had the vouchers it would have cost me £13+ absolutely ludicrous). I find it really hard that the hotel can justify charging this amount for people who cannot eat a full hearty English breakfast.

Sadly we didn't have a good night's seep either, as it was a Saturday evening there was a Wedding Breakfast going on, lots of people milling around the bar area so didn't appear anywhere to sit for a quiet drink. Guests were smoking in front of the automatic doors therefore the outer doors were staying open and the smoke was heavily invading the reception & bar area and to our astonishment the Restaurant as well, we did mention it and the manager went to keep an eye on it. What is it with smokers that they have to be so selfish and stand in front of automatic doors causing the doors to stay open and right next to the signs telling them not to smoke there. Went into the restaurant for evening meal and although the food was perfect and the staff first class; we felt disappointed that we could smell cigarette smoke coming in from the reception area. I am also surprised that smoking is still allowed in certain rooms, because when we were walking around the smell of stale smoke was very evident everywhere even on our non smoking 3rd floor and corridors.

We settled down to go to sleep about 11pm, there was a bit of noise in the corridor but thought this would abate by midnight - how wrong could we be! Unfortunately for us the wedding guests were also staying in rooms in our corridor and we seemed to have been given a room in the midst of them!!!! Between 11pm and 5:00am they were persistently in and out of rooms, shouting, slamming doors you name they were doing it - loudly!!! Yes this went on for 6 hours!!!! Needless to say we did not get any sleep until it went quiet about 5:30am but by then we weren't relaxed having to listen to these guests obnoxious & selfish behaviour, they never gave one thought for other guests in our corridor on 3rd floor. At one point I did call out of our open door asking them politely to be quiet please as we wanted to sleep - all to no avail. So was left no choice but to report it about 4am to downstairs staff and was assured they would look into it.

On a plus side and to the credit of the reception staff when we checked out and told them that we hadn't had any sleep due to the other guests behaviour, they were very sympathetic and apologised immediately; they also removed the room charge from our final bill. We were glad we had reported the problem as the gentleman I spoke to had notified reception that there had been a complaint prior to us checking out. Sorry to say but I would never stay at this hotel again because of our experience as after all we can only go by what happened to us.

Room Tip: Check to see if there is a wedding venue or even a party happening the day you are staying and find...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magsie_10

Dear Magsie_10,

I am sorry that you did not experience a pleasant nights sleep due to the lack of consideration of other guests. I am pleased however that the reception team dealt with your concerns to your satisfaction.
Your feedback regarding the cost of breakfast and the availability of pricing options has been made available to our Head Office Food and Beverage Development team for their consideration.

I appreciate your comments and hope that you will consider us again when next in the area. Should you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst on business in the North West. Excellent location for nearby motorway network giving easy access to the large conurbations of Manchester and Liverpool. The premises are entered through vehicle barriers. Plenty of car parking spaces. Whilst my check in was swift and easy, I witnessed others having problems. One person complaining that his room smelt of smoke. I also noted that the 1st floor corridor smelt of smoke. I had booked a double room but was given a twin. This didn't bother me as I was only stopping 2 nights. The room was clean with basic furnishing. Medium sized flat screen TV (No Sky TV) desk and chairs are old and basic but functional. Basic Tea and Coffee making facilities. Bathroom was also clean although towel ( Not plural) was small and rough. Small selection of soaps and shampoos etc. These are not replaced daily. The restaurant on both evenings offered a buffet style meal. An Indian on one night and Mediterranean on the 2nd night. The food was good value for money. The staff were pleasant, polite and helpful. The bar area offers the usual selection you would expect. Prices are realistic and drinks are not over priced. Football was shown in the bar on the evening. Breakfast seemed ok although i did not sample the cooked breakfast. Overall an average rating for this hotel. I have stayed in nicer hotels but I have also stayed in poorer hotels in this area. Last point. The gym is good, plenty of equipment to use free of charge. The pool looked really nice although I did not use it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Zeke G

Dear Zeke G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.

I am pleased that that your evening dining experiences were positive, that the staff were helpful and you found the food to be of good value.

I appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next on business in the area.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We as 4 couples stayed sat 27th and sun 28th oct on b&b plus dinner as a base whilst going to aintree races. We tried to check in at noon on way to races and managed to get 1room to leave cases until we returned(the lady on reception could do with some customer relation training,there is no need to be so blunt and unfriendly). We had a 3course dinner on a table for 8 and the quality of food and service by the restaurant staff was excellent! The rooms were very pleasant and clean. Breakfast about as good as any we have had(hot food replenished regularly). Dinner again on the sunday was top notch although service somewhat slower. All in all a most enjoyable weekend apart from 1thing-- I know that beer or lager is more expensive in hotels but to charge £7-50 for a 250ml glass of wine when you can buy the same wine in a shop at £5 a bottle is too much to bare-come on holiday inn its cost you the 5th green circle!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: get a double or twin with sofa bed and you get bigger room for same price
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank marknewson
Guest_Response_TA, Manager at Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Marknewson,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.

I am pleased that the hotel was able to provide you with an early check-in, allowing you time to prepare for the races at leisure and that your dining experiences were positive.

Your feedback regarding the cost of beverages has been made available to our Head Office Food and Beverage Development team for their consideration.

I appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back to the hotel for future race dates.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a 1 night stay here at the weekend.
Good location and nice rooms as you have to expect with the room rate you pay with holiday inn.
Good quite location off the motorway which makes it handy.
For the downside.
I prob stay in this chain of hotel once a month. And have always been pleases with the manners and service given. So much so, that I write to acknowledge this too.
But on this occasion right from checking in the staff were rude ( sorry maybe too general statement, the two I dealt with during the stay were). Right from check in we were the only ones waiting there and wIed a couple of mins for acknowledgement from a member of staff that was right across the desk from us on her computer, her greeting was a look over the top of her glasses and a ' are u ok?' Greeting.... My response was sorry I must of miss heard you. She then said can I help you, but proceeded with the check in with pure rudeness.... What's is wrong with .. Good afternoon can I assist you today... I hope you have a nice stay.
Any advice or help that was required during the stay was a burden on them and they made you feel this way.
To top it off I had forgot our toothbrushes, the hol inn promise is they will replace any toiletries essentials you forget on your stay.... Not here, I was told they were waiting for a delivery so had none great. So in future I cannot book a hol inn with full faith they will deliver. Shame.
I must say this is the first stay in the chain that has had service like this..... So buck up your ideas and learn from your colleagues else where... There is no excuse for not delivering basic amazing service, it costs nothing, you just need to want to give it.
Not to hol inn GM at haydock: Please don't give any generic ' I'm do sorry on this occasion reply rubbish'. That means nothing, just sort the service out for your future guests and give them a great customer experience, like I said it costs nothing!!! You just need to want to do it!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank E E

Dear E E,

Your feedback regarding the friendliness of staff and availability of additional toiletries has been shared with both Reception and Housekeeping Managers in order that they can take the necessary steps to improve service delivery.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have memories of staying here in the late 90's when this property was a Forte Posthouse.

My latest stay was 2 nights in October 2012 and I booked an Executive room.

To be honest not much has changed. Rooms are the same except for a lick of paint, flat screen tv's, airconditioning and curved shower rail.

I phoned in advance and was delighted to have a 9am check-in authorised so I left Oxford at 6am.

My room neat and tidy and I was grateful for a few hours sleep as everyone else got up for work.

The mini-bar was fully stocked, the bed was very comfortable and housekeeping did not disturb me.

This hotel is very popular with the business community because of its prime location, 2 minutes from the M6.

Will I return again? Yes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lucky_Oxford

Dear Lucky_Oxford,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the Tripadvisor website following your recent stay at Holiday Inn Haydock. Thank you for your kind words.

I’m pleased that the team reacted to your request and arranged an early check-in, allowing you to beat the traffic and catch up on a few hours sleep.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Haydock.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Le Willows
Holiday Inn Express Leigh - Sports Village
Warrington Lowton
Warrington Lowton
#15 of 22 in Warrington

Been to Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23? Share your experiences!