“convenient location, friendly service”

Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23
Grayshott, United Kingdom
“convenient location, friendly service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

stayed for 6 weeks for business, after a dodgy start (no head chef and appauling food) they redeamed themselves although bar food was always better than the restaurant. rooms are what you would expect and the pillow choice is always a welcome favourite. Staff were always pleasant and even remembered our names after a short while. Real bonus is the location, next to the race course, just off the M6 and half way between Manchester and Liverpool (20 miles to each) Ashton just a short walk away offers a variety of restaurants and bars. Check out pesquales italian for a decent meal at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Always ask if an upgrade is available. Corner rooms have dual aspects and are light and airy
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Guest_Response_TA, Manager at Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
MrsFrodo,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you noticed the positive change in food quality following the introduction of a new Head Chef into the hotel and thank you for your kind words regarding the attentiveness of the staff. I will ensure that this accolade reaches them.

Kind Regards

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Farnborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed one night in October 2011. Was a late booking so probably got the 'spare room'. That said the room was next door to the side door exit to car park. This exit was supposed to be barred between 10pm - 7 am but it was clearly not so. Result was frequent slamming of door, with interrupted sleep. It wouldn't be so bad if the staff had responded to my request to adhere to the timing and close the door, but that didn't happen. Therefore got to mark this hotel down. I have stayed here before with few problems but this incident was very annoying. I did tell them I would be writing this review when I left.

Room Tip: book early avoid the car park exit
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Guest_Response_TA, Manager at Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear simon_walker88,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. I have discussed your comments with the front office and nights team, which has lead to a change in our current practices, which will in turn improve the quality of our future guests’ experience. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel and providing you with a better nights sleep.

St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

The staff at this hotel made our entire wedding experience Magical!!! From start to finish the experience was second to none.
We stayed at the hotel for 3 days in total, the eve before the wedding my family flew in from all over the country and they where greeted with a warm welcome from first rate excellent and friendly staff.
Myself and my matron-of -honour had a pamper night and got to know the staff on a personnal level which helped to dampen some of my nerves!!
The Wedding day itself was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! perfect venue, perfect staff, and gorgeous weather...We couldnt of wished or wanted it any other way.
The staff were more like close friends than strangers, they made our day magical and memorable.

The day after the wedding it was my birthday and they made me feel just as special as the day before, it was the little gestures and special caring touch that this hotel specialises in that made our experience at The Holiday Inn one of the most heartwarming times our entire family have ever had the pleasure and luck to experience.

Room Tip: every room is set to high standard, every taste is catered for
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kat C
Dear Kat C,

I am delighted that the staff at the hotel made your wedding such a wonderful experience. Particularly that the experience spanned three days and you felt the warmth of our hospitality from the moment you arrived until the moment you left. It is exciting to be able to share such glowing comments with my team. Thank you.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Me and my oh have stayed in this hotel a few times when we've been to see the horse racing, and i can honestly say its an all rounder, nice polite staff, breakfast is fantastic, from fruit too a full English to continental, they have it all :) the spa is nice to use while you stay and is included in the price of your stay...there's a pool, jacuzi, sauna and steam room where you can all relax. The rooms are clean and spacious great value for money overall. The only downsides are; the evening meals, they are not really worth the money tbh as you can tell they are far from freshly cooked. Other than that, a top hotel for a short stay

• Stayed March 2011
Dear XPriscillaX

Thank you for your kind comments, it is nice to read that you are a regular visitor to the hotel. I can safely say that I believe your next experience at the hotel will be even better, as we have recently recruited a new head Chef, who is receiving excellent feedback from our guests. I look forward to reading your next review on the hotel.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Yes we had our civil ceremony here,and from booking our first appointment with their wedding
co-ordinator we knew our plans were their priority.They booked and ordered everything which
took away the stress from us.On the day of our ceremony everything went as we planned.
right down to the red carpet. All our guests commented on how loveiy the day went.The staff
were all heipful and friendly,I would recommend this hotel to everyone, we couldn't thank them all enough for making our day so very special

sue&sue

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan M,

I am extremely happy that the staff at the hotel helped to relax you and make your wedding day just that bit more special. I will ensure that your thanks and appreciation is passed to all involved.

liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

Before I start this review, I would just like to say that I never write any sort of review, however after recently getting married at this hotel, I don’t want anyone else to make the same mistake. I could write a list of our complaints but the review would take too long to write. In fact I wouldn’t know were to start. I can honestly say that I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The hotel inside is actually not too bad; however the staff are rude beyond belief the food is slop. However I suppose you get what you pay for. The food is actually worse than cheap microwave food and like I have said, some of the staff are the rudest people I have ever come across. Don't bother complaining as you end up speaking to more incompetent staff. This hotel would make faulty tower look like the Ritz. The staff are young and are probably poorly trained, however the more experienced staff who run the hotel also don’t appear to be competent. For the odd nights stay its probably not bad, to get married in, please don’t bother!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear stephen16liverpool

It is very disappointing to read of your dissatisfaction at during your recent wedding, even more so that this is your first posting on trip advisor. I would therefore welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with you in detail, should you wish to contact me personally at the hotel and elaborate on your findings.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

This is another Holiday Inn that follows the same pattern. Friendly staff, rooms that offer that level that keeps them just above the budget hotel chains, decent bars and, and here is the rub, truly awful dining. They operate on pre prepared frozen meals produced en masse and shipped to the hotels who then micro wave and brown off by staff who know nothing about food. This particular Holiday Inn served me last night a passable sausage and mash that they wanted £14 for, drowned in instant gravy and accompanied by an Italian bread and oil and balsamic dip. The oil was served not only hot but searingly hot ( I had in fact my own bowl and I mean bowl – a cereal bowl with 2 cm deep pool of oil ) so hot I had my own at table chip pan. When I questioned it the waitress looked at me oddly and said this is how they always serve it.

A decent hotel, but as with all holiday inns, work out where the nearest restaurants are.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
Mercure St Helens
Mercure St Helens
#3 of 4 in St Helens

Been to Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23? Share your experiences!