“Murder Mystery Overnight Stay”

Hotel Ibis Styles Haydock
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Haydock
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I always try to write a review from my perspective and experience, before reading what other people have voiced. So here goes.

We were attending a murder mystery evening which was being held at the Ramada Encore.

We have never stayed at this chain of hotels before so had no perception of what to expect.

The hotel is ideally situated just off the M6 at Haydock and appears to be quite new in its build and appearance.

There was ample parking in the carpark.

The reception desk is quite small and it took a little time to check in.

One side of the desk is the main reception facing the main entrance and the opposite side facing into the hotel is the main bar and I felt quite small for the amount of people it has to serve.

We were met with a friendly smile by the lady on reception and were given a room on the third floor. A single guest lift is located not too far away.

First impressions of the hotel was 'clinical' and 'airy'.

Our room was basic and I got the impression that all rooms are of the same ilk throu out. However One thing can be said our room was clean.

The bathroom had a walk-in shower which I found great rather than a bath but sadly the room had an odour of musty damp. The main bed/living area didn't and as we were only staying for one night I didn't see any major issues by complaining.

There was a hairdryer in the room along with a desk and ethernet connection for internet access. WiFi was non existent in the room and in this day and age I would of thought that this is something that should be provided like running water from a tap. WiFi was apparently available in the reception area but we found it hit or miss to obtain a connection. There was also a small two seater sofa in our room. Tea and coffee facillities in the room was nice to have as well.

A traditional small radiator was next to the bed and this along with being able to open the window a couple of inches equated to the climate control. Sadly no air conditioning.

The double bed was certainly not the most comfortable I have slept in, but again for a night it was ok.

TV reception was not brilliant but good enough to watch for traditional channels.

Overall the room felt clinical and bright and lacked a warm feel.

The evening was very loud in the main area just off reception. There was probably a hundred plus people for the murder mystery and what let it down was the noise of people talking that got louder and louder during the night. I could not hear people talking on our table due to volume. Accoustically, a nightmare, the main area is not cordoned off from the reception and is very open plan. There is an area of couches and seats to chillout less formally, but again you see and hear lots of noise from the main ground floor/bar area/reception.

Breakfast was ample. My bug bear here were the toasters. Traditional pop up, but it took ages to brown the bread. Cereals and hot traditional food was avaliable. Bacon, eggs, beans, hash browns etc... A machine for tea, coffee, hot chocolate and a selection of fruit juices freely available.

The local garage also sells beer and alcohol if you fancied spending the evening in your room.

Checkout by eleven a.m. was quite painless.

I must say the staff were very pleasant and polite.

There is a fabulous pub situated a hundred yards away which I would certainly reccomend.

The Ramada Encore Haydock I felt is certainly a budget hotel. I have stayed in worse and have stayed in better for the money spent.

On a budget then you will not be dissapointed with this accomodation.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adaptcom

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Wake up - Ramada..... Dirty Room, Small double bed, Double Glazed room but plenty of noise from the dual carriageway outside as the glazing was blown, Internet not working, Warned I may not get an evening meal as there were 2 coaches in for the night, Business Point computer was not on and when I switched it on it was running XP and had suffered a fatal error and would not work, Bedside lamp pulled out of the wall, TV not tuned in to all channels and a fuzzy picture, No shower curtain, Shower temperature adjustment did not work, Door to adjoining room unlocked, Breakfast queue was enormous so didn't bother - what else is there to say - oh yes - how do you keep such friendly staff ??? You have enthusiastic staff who came across well - you just need to support them - would I stay again ?? Highly Unlikely !!!

Room Tip: Staff were enthusiastic. Not a room overlooking the noisy dual carriageway.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank RupertPon
Marie_Miller_GM, General Manager at Hotel Ibis Styles Haydock, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Rupert,

Thank-you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and I am sorry to read that not everything was to your satisfaction.
I will investigated your comments and endeavour to correct any issues I find, once again thank-you for your valuable feedback and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed here as part of the national holidays coronation street tour on 29th April check in was very fast and efficient considering they was 2 full bus loads of people to get through rooms were modern which we were pleased about as we were the only young people on the tour they were also very clean and comfy evening meal was superb the tomato and basil soup was one of the best iv ever tasted the staff worked hard to make sure we were all served quickly and looked after and were also constantly cleaning to make sure everything was perfect breakfast the next morning was fantastic buffet style with a big choice there is also a lovely pub over the road that we had a relaxing night in overall the hotel is brilliant the staff are well presented and very friendly we couldn't of asked for a better nights stay and will defiantly return

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Becki,

Thank-you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and I am pleased to read you enjoyed the experience.
Thank-you for your kind comments regarding our staff and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Me and my husband stayed at the hotel for one night as part of a National Holidays break to a Coronation Street tour. We were pleasantly surprised with the room and meals. The room was large with a settee and a walk in shower in the bathroom. I think it is one of the better hotels we have stayed in with National Holidays breaks. Two coach loads of people were staying the same night but our meals were quickly brought to our table and the staff friendly and efficient. Breakfast was plentiful so we enjoyed our night at the Ramada, Haydock.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SheenaHull

Dear Sheena,

Thank-you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am pleased to read you enjoyed the experience and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed for one night as part of a National Holidays break to Manchester and Liverpool.
The hotel is a modern building and well maintained and positioned in a great spot for the two locations we were visiting.
Given that we were in a large coach party the process of booking in was well organised and speedy.
Room was very clean and well equipped. As other contributors have said the bed was a little on the hard side but we suffered no discomfort and slept pretty well.
There was a choice of starters, main courses and sweets for the evening meal and everything was tasty and well presented. In the morning the breakfast buffet provided a full range of cooked food as well as cereals, toast and tea or coffee which set us up for the day.
Staff were very pleasant and helpful throughout our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank graybags1

Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am pleased to read you enjoyed the experience, I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some point in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel and would hace given it an average 3 stars on first impressions.
Rooms are a nice size with the basics. Bathroom is nice and modern. Nice looking lobby and bar.
The room wasnt fantastically clean. The net curtain was filthy - would it really cost the hotel to replace it? No excuse for filth no matter what star.
Having a shower flooded the bathroom so not pleasant if you need to use the loo after a shower. Stagnant water didnt drain away even hours later.
There were no towels in the room so had to ask for some. Forgot our toothpaste so asked for some at reception (as stated in hotel guide) to be told to go and buy some at the garage across the road. Thanks for that.
Rooms also are unbearably hot and it wasnt even warm outside and radiators were off.
Anyway could have got over that until it came to bedtime. It was the worst bed ive ever had to sleep in...the main reason anyone stays in a hotel is for somewhere to sleep so its annoying to be tossing and turning in a tiny, low to the floor, rock hard, springy bed. Oh and to top it off also be red hot.
Breakfast 9.50 each what a rip off. Cheaper if you book breakfast the night before but the helpful gent on reception decided not to tell us this when we said we would just buy it on the morning. At least the food was freshly replenished regularly.
Free wifi only in lobby.
Lovely friendly young girl on reception was the nicest out of them all that was on a sunday morning.
Needed somewhere to sleep for the night and ramada wont fit the bill again unless they get new beds.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank terri_leigh123
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Only stayed one night as part of a national holiday tour to coronation street, room was clean pleasantly furnished with tea & coffee making facilities.
Evening meal was excellent & the breakfast superb the staff were attentive but not in your face.
The evening bar was reasonably priced & the tables were cleaned straight away.
I would defiantly stay here again

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brenda A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haydock
Travelodge Haydock St. Helens
Mercure St Helens
#3 of 3 in St Helens
Holiday Inn Express Leigh - Sports Village
Best Western Plus Lancashire Manor Hotel

Been to Hotel Ibis Styles Haydock? Share your experiences!