“Fantastic place, LOVELY staff. Definately coming back!”

The Royal Bridlington
Ranked #78 of 117 Bridlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've just read a couple of other reviews on here and thought for a moment that I was reading about a totally different hotel because my experience was really, really positive! In fact, right after typing this I'll be booking another few days stay without a trace of reservation, and am already looking forward to it immensely.

I'd come to the Royal Bridlington solely for a patchwork workshop with one of the UK's leading quilters and didn't have any expectations regarding the hotel at all. However right from the moment I entered the building I received nothing but outstanding and thoughtful service from all the staff. The owners Tim and Fiona were extremely lovely, and made me feel utterly at ease as a single traveller. Their attention to detail during my stay was really kind and very welcome and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel - in fact as far as I'm concerned I genuinely can't see the point of looking anywhere else quite frankly.

As well as Fiona and Tim all the staff I encountered, from the cleaners to dining room staff, seemed really happy to be there. The atmosphere in the hotel was lovely - all the staff seemed happy and content, and were clearly cared about. This seemed to rub off on the staff's willingness to please and care for their guests as well, and contributed to a really lovely stay.

The food during my stay was outstanding - from the home-made selection of biscuits and cakes, to the fabulous buffet breakfast and lunch not to mention the superb dinner, quite frankly I've never eaten better in any hotel or guest house in my whole entire life. As a vegetarian of 27 years, I have come to expect very ill-thought out and below-average meals when out and about, and even at quite expensive restaurants I've been offered just a plate of vegetables and a pile of rice in the past. However I can honestly say that in my whole life I have NEVER had better vegetarian food outside of a vegetarian's own kitchen than I had at the Royal! They really did make a very big effort and went the extra mile to make sure my stay was just as good as everyone else's, and from what the other diners were saying, their meat-based food was fabulous too!

My room was very nicely decorated and very comfortable with a good view of the sea, and I slept very well indeed. Although I visited in April I imagine it would be wonderful in the Summertime as it is right next to the seafront, and Bridlington is a lovely town. However for me, what made my stay really special was Fiona and Tim's personalities, as they are both really lovely people who genuinely want all their guests to be happy and who definitely go the extra mile to try to ensure that they do, so I was truly surprised at some of the comments here as that definitely was not my experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Hi Tina W
Many thanks for your comprehensive review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and your
Patchwork and Quilting retreat and we look forward to welcoming you back in October for the Pat Archibald Retreat.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at The Royal for 3 nights. Lovely clean friendly hotel but room small. Bathroom adequate. Bed uncomfortable and lumpy, room stuffy at night and windows wouldn't open. No food available at dinner ( unless hotel is very busy ) Cooked breakfast was good and choice was very adequate. Friendly hosts and within walking distance of town.

Room Tip: Room 2 was first floor, small, clean and could see the sea but not directly.
1  Thank Stardrops
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Hello Stardrops
Thank you for your comments. We really must point out that all our bedroom windows do open and we cant understand why you thought otherwise and if you did think this perhaps you could have pointed this out to us during your stay and we would have been only too pleased to assist or even provided a fan.
All our beds were replaced with top quality hotel contract beds from Mattisons - the same company who supply many four star hotel chains /cruise ships etc. but it is impossible to find a bed to suite everyones taste.
The Royal Bridlington is our home, we are a guest accommodation and not a hotel. As all of our guests were booked for only B &B we had no stock or staff on hand or roted to provide an evening meal. We do provide dinner when requested and when numbers are sufficient to cover staffing costs.
All our rooms are well in excess of the required size for a guest accommodation however for those who like a little more space there is always the option to upgrade to a larger room.
We are pleased you enjoyed our fresh and cooked to order breakfasts and our cleanliness.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast was excellent and the location was right on the front and a short walk frm the town centre. Parking was easy, although this is not a busy time of year. Rooms were well decorated, but on the small side. We would definitely come back

• Stayed: April 2013

Hi Craigchickin

Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Royal Bridlington.

Booked for two night stay.

Paid 'Upgrade' of £20.00 cash on arrival.

Stayed 'ONE Night'

Attic room (upgrade) AWWWful bed. More tired than us. Sea view, obscurred by filthy window.
No heating in bathroom. No Sink in bathroom. So advantagious an upgrade, our sink was in the main room and a fold out table located in wardrobe.
Breakfast Excellent. Service Dire.

Do/Don't signs prolific.

Just awful.

I am currently in touch with Groupon to get refund.

First, (hopefully last) bad Groupon Experience we have had.

Does,nt help the Groupon Experience

Thats it.

anthiny b dodsley & jacqueline s dodsley

3  Thank 201anthonyd

Dear Mr Dodsley
Many thanks for expressing your opinions on our Guest House so publicly.
We have already discussed all the points you raised with you personally prior to you posting on here.
We are sorry that you didn’t find much to your liking and we think we can safely say that we shall not be expecting you to return and redeem you £20 voucher which was part of the marketing experience deal.

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Well we have just also got back from the royal and we really enjoyed it, apart from the weather which was freezing nobody can do anything about , room 15 beautiful cosy warm and spotless beds were so comfy didnt want to get out thank you

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank BAZZA8469

Hello BAZZA8469

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have just come back from a wonderful break at this Hotel and we enjoyed every minute of it, The staff the food and the rooms were excellent we couldn't fault anything about it.We will certainly be going back to this Hotel and also reccomend it to friends and family

2  Thank mickmak

Hi mickmak

Thanks for posing the lovely comments about your recent stay. So pleased you enjoyed it and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends in the near future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We just came back from a two night stay at this hotel and loved it. It's location is nigh on perfect, close but not too close to town and perhaps a 20 second walk to the sea font.
The room was spotlessly clean, all white bedding which looked crisp and fresh. It had everything you could need, including ensure, tv and hair dryer!
Breakfast was just brilliant. The room was airy, bright and fresh and there were cereals and juices galore to choose from. We chose to go straight for the full English which was cooked to perfection. Plenty of options for the full English and many other choices too. Great! :-)
The staff were friendly, courteous and polite at all times. There was never any upsell and they were always happy to help. We will definitely be going back sometime soon, loved it to bits. I should add that it was very quiet too, we appreciated that.

Ade n Lou

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ade W

Hello Ade and Lou

Thanks for your lovely comments. really pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.