“Great hotel and fab staff”
Review of Monarch Hotel

Monarch Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bridlington
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“Great hotel and fab staff”
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Having just returned from a four day stay at this hotel all I can say is very good and well done to a great management team and fun staff...
Food at breakfast and dinner were served fast hot and plenty of it..
Entertainment on 2 nights were good quality..
Sure to return soon.. Our passengers had a great weekend

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Tony C
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team as I know how much these are appreciated.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
England
Reviewed August 8, 2013

WE booked again for a one night stay as part on my mother-in-law's birthday.. The hotel is clean friendly place. the two rooms we had were very good.Infact ours was excellent as it was the Woodcock Suite - large and very well appointed. It is well placed for all local attrations and very keenly priced for what you get. The real gem here are the staff who are always very friendly and efficient. They make the place which is a 2/3 star hotel feel like it is 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to the manager and his team who will be pleased to read them.

Thank you once again for your custom and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

pontefract
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Having recently visited the Monarch at Bridlington, we had a great time, you could not fault the friendly service of ALL the staff, we had the family room which was well equipped and clean, this is our 4th visit to the Monarch and always try and book in there first because of the great service and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sarah183
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review of your stay with us recently.

I was extremely pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team who I know will appreciate the feedback. Your comments certainly reflect what we strive to achieve so thank you again.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My partner and I have recently returned from our second visit to this hotel, what can I say that hasn't been said already. We enjoyed a five day break with a group of "recycled teenagers" and once again were really well looked after in every respect, the atmosphere here is so happy and relaxed that it would be difficult not to enjoy yourself, even the Victor Meldrews of the world would find it difficult to complain. Steve the hard working manager leads from the front a very happy and efficient staff, nothing is too much trouble for them and every one of them has a smile on his or her face, what can I say about Mark, he is something else !! A real pleasant and happy chappy !! Corie the resident tour manager for Grand UK has so much energy I felt worn out just watching her, whatever she is on, I must have some !! The food was excellent, a good breakfast and a four course evening meal from a varied choice of menu, extremely well cooked and presented, compliments must go to the chef, it must be very difficult to please everybody so if anyone did complain about the food they would be totally out of order in my opinion. Our room (No 31) was clean and well presented with a reasonable view although we never spend time in the room gazing out of the window. Even the weather was kind to us this time, most unusual for us, we take many of these 5 day breaks throughout the year and we usually have pouring rain !! Thanks Steve and staff for a really enjoyable time, it is only the distance from us that stops us from visiting more frequently.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shelagh t
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently, particularly as you have previously stayed at the Monarch Hotel.

I really was very pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team as I know how much these are appreciated.

Thank you again for your continued support of Grand UK Hotels and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future, whether at the Monarch or one of our other properties.

Skegness, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was my second visit to the Monarch Hotel in Bridlington, and it most definately will not be my last. The last time I was here was in November 2012 for 'Turkey & Tinsel' on a 'working' holiday with a local (Skegness) Charity. This time it was a short Friday to Monday break with my widowed mother and my sister.

In the beginning, we had problems getting rooms as the Hotel caters for Coach Parties, but with the Manager, Steve's, intervention, we were able to book two rooms at fairly short notice for a break that meant so much to us. My sister, my mother and I cannot thank Steve enough for getting us booked in.

I think I covered most of what there is to be said about the Monarch in my first review, but nevertheless, I'll add, at the risk of repitition, some more here.

A lot of the reviews here on Trip Advisor about the Monarch include negative reviews about the Hotel's decor. Okay, the Hotel itself could possibly do with a little bit of updating, but then again, to do so would take away much of its character. The Monarch is a typical British seaside hotel and the decor reflects that. But how much time do you actually spend in the hotel itself? Unless it is chucking it down outside, my guess is very little and you will only be using the Hotel to eat and sleep in and on these two points you should not be dissappointed.

The rooms themselves are clean and airy and the beds are very comfortable. Okay, on this occasion my room (Room 22) overlooked the rear of the building and a rather drab and dreary looking fire escape, but that did not pose a problem for me. I was not there with the intention of sitting in the room for the entire weekend looking out of the window. If I was booked into this room again on a future visit, I would be happy enough.

As I said in my previous review, the Staff at the Monarch Hotel are its greatest assest. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, is too much trouble for them. On our first night, at meal time, my sister who does not drink tea or coffee would have liked a drink of hot chocolate, a beverage that is not on the menu, but 'hey presto', somehow, the Hotel managed to provide my sister with hot chocolate. All of the staff are well presented, and extremely polite and helpful. They are also the same members of staff that I met in November 2012, which is a very good sign as that clearly inidicates that staff turnover is very minimal, if not non-exisitent. If the staff are happy to work at the Monarch then it must be a good sign that the Monarch is a good place in which to stay.

We only had entertainemnt on Friday evening and Saturday evening, but entertainment is advertised as being "available most evenings". The entertainers I saw this time were the same as I saw back in November 2012, so I guess they could be classsed as 'resident entertainers'. But despite some reviewers who clearly did not enjoy them, I cannot fault them myself, and neither could my mother or my sister.

Sadly, the lift still remains somewhat of a problem. Not a problem in that it is prone to breaking down, it is not. But it is very dated, not very pleasant inside the actually lift car, and can be very slow, not to mention very noisy. But apparantly to replace it could incur costs of over £60k. That being the case, would it not be possible to give the doors a bit of a lick of paint, and then add carpeting to the lower part of the internal walls and mirrored glass to the upper part of the internal walls? Doing that would be a vast improvement and should be a lot cheaper to do than replacing the entire lift itself. This is by no means a 'gripe', it is simply intended as constructive feedback.

All in all, even though it was a very short break, all three of us had a very good time at the Monarch and we shall look forward to returning again at some point in the future.

Thank you Steve and pass on our thanks and appreciation to your team.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room away from the lift as the lift can be very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with an extensive review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team who will be pleased to read them. I was particularly pleased to learn that you have stayed at the Monarch Hotel before and will be returning again. As you say we have a very good team at the hotel and I am glad that you were left with a good impression on both visits.

As you say, the Monarch has character although we know that there are areas and rooms which need upgrading and this forms part of an ongoing schedule of works. We pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Once again, thank you for your review and we very much look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Bradford
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed for one Sunday night at the Monarch Hotel.I found the staff on Reception very good and helpful and let me book into the Hotel 2 hours earlier than the stated booking in time.The room allocated to me was clean and tidy but very tired looking.It needed decorating badly.Old faded 1970s wallpaper and yellowish white paint.The Bathroom was large and clean but cold.Fast breakfast service next morning which was a good fry up.
The Hotel needs bringing into the 21st century with more modern decor, which would greatly improve the place.
On the night I stayed in the Hotel there was about 30 elderly people on a coach tour party staying in the Hotel,some of them so old they made me feel quiet young and I am 65.Probably this is why the evening entertainment was so dated.It was like something from a 1950s show.I would stay at the Hotel again,but for only one or two nights.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank smudgerBradford
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay.

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this is part of an ongoing schedule. However we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Your feedback is extremely important to us and I pleased to read that overall your stay was good and look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

salisbury
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We arrived on Sunday the 2nd of June and had a excellent wellcome.The assistant Manager greeted us on the Coach and than the tour Manager that is a resident of Bridlington.
We where told what to expect and one could tell this Lady has a superb personality.Her name is Corie and she lives up toher name.The Hotel is very clean the room are spaciuos and the food is excellent.we never had the same meal twiceduring the stay at this hotel.The waiting staff are very firendly and helpfull .Nothing seems to be to much for them.The rooms are very clean and spacious.We had a room at the back sorry to say the outlook was not grat the fire escape, but he you are not in the room long ,if you go out like we did.We had some great tours and the Tour Manager did look after us very well.There was a Telly ,tea making facilities and plenty of cupboard space so we where very happy.
I can highly recomend this Hotel to any one that wishes to go to Bridlington.
Opposite the Hotel is the promenade and only a few minutes away from the town if one wishes to go there.
Thank you Monarch Hotel one of the UK Holiday Group own Hotels.
Corie thanks for the Lovely time we had you made this Holiday perfec for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank walter r
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve, Corrie and the team who will be pleased to read them.