“Excellent location. Enjoyable stay”
Review of Expanse Hotel

and 1 more site!
Expanse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bridlington
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent location. Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I booked the hotel via a hotel comparison site and obtained what I thought was a competitive price for a hotel of this ilk. The purpose of the visit was a family party and we found the whole experience very pleasant despite concerns raised from my parents who had stayed here previously . The room we had was number 9 and if the same room could be reserved via a comparison website I would not delay booking this hotel again. Very spacious. Balcony overlooking the beach. Superb. The food was of a decent standard at the party and although not on the menu the staff accommodated cheese and biscuits rather than sweet puddings available. I have absolutely no complaints but fear we may have been lucky and that all rooms are not of the same standard. However this is merely hearsay as my own personal experience was thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank akilgallon
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us We consider that we are fortunate that our staff are friendly and accommodating. We can take no credit for the wonderful seaviews from you window, that's our location. We are an independent , not chain, hotel with each of our bedrooms being different. We are constantly refurbishing, so at any given time there will be some rooms more uptodate than others. Our prices at the time of booking are always as good as, or better than, on the major national sites. If you book direct we can always make sure that you get the room that you want. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Beeston, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My Mum lives in Bridlington and has used The Expanse as a venue before for special events. The weekend in question was to celebrate my Mum's 90th Birthday. I was in charge of arranging the whole event and had excellent service from the staff in assisting me with the booking, This was to be a meal for 54 people.
Several of us had booked to stay overnight. On arrival I was able to get into my room early and the main member of staff ( Chelsea ) for my Mum's do was on hand to discuss things.
I have heard nothing but praise from my immediate family who stayed overnight ( 5 double rooms ). The whole evening was a huge success with many comments giving praise from the guests both on the night and in subsequent letters.
The breakfast on the Sunday was very good with plenty of choice. And may I point out that the same staff were on hand to assist.
The whole event was superb ! Lovely food, very helpful staff, great atmosphere. No request met with anything other than helpfullness !
I will definitely be back !
Many thanks to all concerned

Room Tip: Sea view some have a small balcony too
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paula F
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear that your mum's 90th went so well. Please wish your mum many more big birthdays to come. We hope to see you asgain at the Expanse.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Myself, my mum and my 2 sons were booked in for Sunday lunch. Both my mum and various members of my family are regular visitors to the Expanse and stay regularly. Firstly the service was great and the staff were very helpful. The food was lovely and all plates were cleared. Its great because you can choose from just a single course up to 3 courses which suited all 4 of us.

The quality of food was fantastic as was the variety and choice. My mum is very bad on her feet an unable to walk any great distance and we asked a couple of members of staff that my mum knew if there was anywhere in the town where we could hire a wheelchair from. After a few enquiries we were told because of the time of year the hotel was fairly quiet and allowed us to hire a wheelchair directly from them, even though we weren't stopping there.

We would like to thank Chelsea and Stephen for all there kindness which made our holiday complete.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kaye W
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you all enjoyed your meal and that our staff were helpful and understanding towards your mum. We hope to see you all again soon.
Staffordshire
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I planned to meet for the weekend in Bridlington, as they live in Hartlepool and we live in Staffordshire it seemed a good location to meet. I was a little dubious about staying at the Expanse after reading some poor review about the staff and quality of the rooms. However, our friends had already booked at the Expanse so we decided to go along with them.
Was it as good or as bad as the reviews that I had read?
well, let's start with the reception: the receptionist on arrival was perfectly amiable and very helpful. The restaurant: we only had the included breakfast here and on the first morning we all had the full English which I must say was excellent. there was plenty of tea, coffee and toast delivered to the table. My wife thought that the bacon could have done with a little more cooking but, you will never please everyone. The staff were very polite, happy and helpful.
The Rooms: Dirty? Tired? in need of a refurb? Not a chance! Our room was fantastic with a balcony and sea view. Everything was clean and tidy and the maids were in every day. The bathroom was modern and spotless. Our friends room was equally as nice but no sea view.
Downstairs there were a couple of day rooms which were quiet, comfortable and warm should you wish to use them. The Marine bar is on the ground floor and although it is open to the public was fantastic. Serving real ale was a huge bonus for me as I don't do lager. The food in the bar was very nice and reasonably priced. The staff here were also cheerful and pleasant.
So Mr manager what do you need to do? Take no notice of the moaners you will get them everywhere and they will never be happy. Keep running your hotel the way it is it's great and so are your staff. Would we stay there again? You bet! Oh! The free wi fi was terrific.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank teggauk
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. It can be so much more effort to write a positive review, than to put off until there is something to complain about. We are so pleased that you all enjoyed your stay and also the Marine Bar. It is usually the staff, not the fixtures, that make a hotel. Pleased to hear that we have achieved this. We hope to see you all in the future, don't forget that you will always get the best rate if you book direct with us rather than through another site.
London
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Expanse was the chosen venue for a family event and as such, a number of us selected to stay there for sheer convenience and the compelling location. I found certain staff members to be lovely - warm, hard-working and caring. Kudos to Chelsea. Others were almost the opposite. A member of the reception staff did not even speak when spoken to!
The rooms varied a lot. Number 3 was lovely but mine 14A was shabby. Unclean, tired and no way worth the amount I paid! Quite why we paid such fluctuating amounts is also questionable. The hair dryer had no nozzle (someone managed to locate one but seemed aggrieved to have to do so), the shower curtain was hanging off, there was hair (not mine!) on the tiles...
I travel a lot and have stayed in places far better and far worse. Proportionately priced. This was off the scale of disproportion. V disappointed.
I must however commend the event planning as the evening was exactly as my Grandmother wanted.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank nickygorman
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Location Location wherever you travel throughout the world you pay extra for a beautiful view. What better panorama than Bridlington Bay with miles of sandy beaches and a sea that changes colour every day.
Your friends had a side view therefore the room was cheaper.
Coalville, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The 1st thing I always do is appraise the cleanliness of a hotel room, and this did past muster no problem. The bathroom was spotless. The fixtures / furnishings are probably passed their mid point through life but functional and adequate, I wasn't paying for or expecting a new hotel room. The decoration in the corridors was recent and modern, some work ongoing, its obvious they are investing. Bed was good, a sold nights sleep. The service and friendliness of the restaurant staff was very good, and the food and menu choice was good. Its an interesting place for people watching, with all sorts of guests coming and going, including to functions held their. Good location and Bridlington was a pleasant surprise, much nicer than places like Skegness.

Quaint english charm,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve H
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
We are very pleased that the Expanse fully met your expectations and especially that you found English charm, as well as friendly service. The Expanse is perfect for people watching, we attract a wide spectrum of guests, whilst the view of the sea and beach are unbeatable. We are an independent hotel, so we are constantly refurbishing but this takes time and rooms to vary, once we have "finished" it is time to start again ! We hope to welcome you back to the Expanse and to Bridlington again.
West calder
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Spent 2 nights on business at this hotel, the evening meals and breakfasts were excellent, the staff very friendly. I was in room 25 which had a side view of the sea but was a bit run down, needed refurbishment. The room was cleaned and linen changed, quiet and a good nights sleep was had. One downside was it was difficult to park as the parking restrictions on the prom started at 8-00 am.

Room Tip: If you are fussy ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Keith M
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Every one of our rooms is different, most of our guests like that, but it also means that we are often asked for a specific room. Room 36 is similar to Room 25 but we think that you would prefer it. Refurbishment is ongoing throughout the hotel, however it takes some years, at the end of which it is time to start again ! . Thank you for your helpful review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridlington
Monarch Hotel
#5 of 118 in Bridlington
The Kilburn
The Kilburn
#2 of 118 in Bridlington

Been to Expanse Hotel? Share your experiences!