“Front of house staff very rude!”
Review of Expanse Hotel

Expanse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bridlington
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited the Expanse for a 50th birthday party. We were a small family group of seven, celebrating with our elderly father - as children we had visited the hotel often which added to the overall sense of occasion. We stayed overnight on a Saturday and had a meal in the restaurant. Upon our arrival, the head receptionist was totally indifferent to our party, she did not welcome us, she didn’t smile and was not at all friendly; we were clearly a great inconvenience to her and this behaviour continued throughout our stay. Everything seemed to be too much trouble; there were big sighs and the actual rolling of eyes on one occasion when we purchased some postcards. Sadly the night porter mirrored this behaviour and was less than friendly when serving late drinks at the bar. The staff serving in the restaurant were the only good thing about our stay. They were very friendly and professional. They made our evening in the restaurant a real celebration and couldn’t do enough for us. We wrote to complain shortly afterwards, as we didn't want to spoil the weekend for our father by complaining at the time, but the response from the hotel manager left us with the distinct impression that he had not even spoken to the head receptionist about her behaviour towards our party and worse, that he may have felt that we had fabricated the events reported. Our last communication with the hotel was ignored. Go for a meal as the restaurant staff are lovely, and the food is simple but well cooked and nicely presented. The head receptionist on the other hand was impolite and surly and we were deeply offended and upset by her behaviour, which was completely unwarranted.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, the rooms at the back of the hotel are nicely decorated but this is to make up f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Suzy K
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

When I replied to you I offered our apologies that you felt that your celebration had been marred and also observed that the our Head Receptionist was normally commended for her helpfulness and friendliness.
You, and your sister, seem to take my response as a personal insult, I can only speak as I find. I am not prepared to enter into protracted correspondence when the other party is obdurate.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We only stayed for 1 night & I had requested a sea view room which we got on the top floor. The room was a good size but the décor & carpet had seen better days & the bathroom although clean was old fashioned & needed an upgrade. The lift was the smallest I had ever seen & was claustrophobic but as we were on the 4th floor had to use. We didn't eat in the hotel except for breakfast which was part self service & part waitress service. Service was slow and despite writing preferences down we got tea instead of coffee & brown toast instead of mixed. Hot food was good when it arrived. The gem was the Marine bar next door which belonged to the hotel but was completely separate - nice food & décor & it was packed on the Saturday night. All in all I've stayed in much nicer hotels for less money.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yorkslass3

We are pleased that you liked the Marine Bar, it is the Expanse's "pub". It was refurbished last year. Each year we spend about £200,000 on improving the hotel and its bedrooms by redecoration, refurbishment and upgrading, such as the lift that you found oppressive. We spent a lot of money to make our lift useable by the disabled, however the net result is that it is far smaller than it used to be.
I hope that you will stay with us again sometime, hopefully for more than one night, and see the changes, we have been altering and improving for 70+ years, and will continue to evole the hotel.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and myself stayed here on the 12thand 13th of Aug. I telephone the day before and upgraded to a sea view room and was it worth it. Fantastic view over Flamborough Head and the North Sea.
The hotel was a great arc deco design, the lounge and bar area really well appointed in a period fashion, totally in keeping with the ambience.
Food was very good and the staff absolutely excellent in every sense.
Good base for exploring the surrounding area.
Bar attached serves good food, good beer and a smile. What more could you want?
Really enjoyed our stay, would return, thank you all at the Expanse!

• Stayed: August 2013

We are so pleased that you both enjoyed you stay with us. It is nice that you appreciated the Art Deco feel of the Expanse, it sets us apart, although sometimes guests mistake it for old fashioned.
We hope to welcome you again to the Expanse in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 day break at The Expanse in Bridlington. The hotel is lovely and the food was very tasty. Our room [14] had a double aspect facing the sea with a 'hallway' and walk in wardrobe with an ironing board and iron and a safe and plenty of storage.For me, walking upstairs is hard so I was pleased to see that there was a lift which was small but perfectly functional and a great help to me. The staff were all very helpful and polite. There is a lovely bar area and a light and airy restaurant, 2 lounges one of which leads down to the Marine Bar situated at the end of the hotel. You can purchase post cards and jewelry and even top up your mobile phone! The only thing is the lack of parking. There are about 4 spaces at the front of the hotel and a couple at the back. Parking on the road at the front has to be paid for but at the side of the hotel you can park all day without charge. We were lucky to find spaces every day so it wasn't a real problem. Just across the road is the prom and a lovely clean beach with a shop and beach huts. The Expanse is situated at the quiet end of the prom. There is a land train that goes from one end of the prom to the other and up to the more lively part with amusements etc. This was our first visit to Bridlington but I am sure it won't be the last and I will definitely be staying at The Expanse when I do.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We are very happy that you enjoyed your 5 night break with us. We hope to be able to welcome you to the Expanse in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My daughter and myself travelled to Bridlington to stay at the Expanse as a birthday treat for myself on the 18th August. When we checked in the receptionist gave us our room on the 4th floor. She then pointed out where the lift was, at this point my daughter told me she would take both bags up in the lift with her as i am afraid to use lifts. The receptionist noticed our conversation and immediately told us she would try and get a room lower down. She found one on the 1st floor, with a sea view for no extra charge! This is excellent customer service. I will definitely be staying at the Expanse again

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
martonian, General Manager at Expanse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We are so that your special stay with us was just that and we hope to see you again. It is so easy for people to complain and very gratifying when guests make the effort to let us know when they have enjoyed their stay.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I and 44 guests had the most memorable time on our ruby anniversary the attention to detail by Steve and the team made the day so special.
The food could not be faulted service was excellent all members of our party commented on the way the staff attended to our needs thanks again Steve and the team.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms on 1st floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tonyliversidge
martonian, General Manager at Expanse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

We are pleased that you and your guests enjoyed a memorable anniversary with us. we hope to see you again before your Golden Anniversary.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have stayed at the Expanse 4 times to date and will stay there again, we have always rented a self catering apartment, always the same one, The Counting House. It was refurbished around 3 years ago to a very high standard, fantastic family bathroom, very comfortable, very warm in Winter, (it can be very cold along the sea front in winter, I know I was born in the town although I live much further south these days) just across the road from the beach-sea, great for children in summer. The dining area in the kitchen is a little cramped and the view from the kitchen window is of other apartments and walkways. The sea view is from the side as the apartment is on a corner towards the rear of the property. The outside and some of the public areas are very tired. Other than paying to use the underground garage there is very little parking on site, during the summer parking can be difficuilt to impossible, they need to resolve this issue. I have not used the hotel restaurant but have used the attached Marine bar which was very good. The staff are quite friendly however the owner Wilks can be grumpy, the first time I met him he was quite rude. My advice Carry out a general refurbishment of the property, resolve on site parking, I believe they are going to demolish a house next door that they own to make a small car park, be a bit more friendly towards guests. If you do those things I would give you 5 out of five. My review is of the self catering apartment we used I have no experience of regular hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Dont be put off by the outside.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
martonian, Owner at Expanse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

We are very pleased that you have stayed in the Counting House four times in the last three years and that you have enjoyed both your stays and its comfort.
Thank you for your advice about refurbishing the hotel. Every year we take on a major project, as well as general redecoration. The year before last the Marine Bar was refurbished and last year a complete new kitchen was added.