“Coming back again...”
Review of Mon Fort Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bridlington
Mon Fort Hotel
Ranked #83 of 117 Bridlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Just returned from a two night/three day stay in brid at the Mon Fort. Bit jubious at first with some people's comments but this amounted to nothing. The hotel was just as advertised. Set right in the heart of brid, close to everything, lovely sea view rooms, lovely breakfasts and parking (albeit there is no car park but in the centre of town this is to be expected) we managed to park our two cars no problem for the weekend and were given parking permits so no need to worry about tickets.

We took our parents for their 25th wedding anniversary and they loved it also. The rooms aren't "old fashioned" but traditional, with dark wood furniture and the floral patterns. Me and my husband are in our 20s and found the rooms charming and comfortable as well as very clean, it wouldn't have been the same if they were modern it would take the charm of the hotel away. There is tea and coffee making facilities and also a TV.

The bar attached is nice, again a very traditional style bar/pub with good enterainment on and nice clientelle enjoying a quiet drink and the enterainment, so no rif raf!

We had a great time out in the town, there is a sea cruise up to Flamborough head for just £4.50 each, it's an hours journey altogether + with the added bonus of a bar on the boat! We had a meal at Rags Restaurant on the harbour, the food was to die for and the service very good - recomend going here. We also went to the Spa Theatre which was a fab evening - so it is worth checking out their website to see it there is anything on and booking tickets before you go.

We are planning coming back to bridlington twice next year and are sorting out our dates to come back and stay at the Mon Fort on both occasions. It's definately recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Frosty_Ri

Reviewed August 2, 2009

The room where we stayed needed a really good clean and decorating.Its bathroom door did not close properly and the handle to flush the toilet and the toilet seat was loose.The door lock on our room was very poor.The full English breakfast was not ! A full English breakfast is sausage,bacon,fried egg,fried bread and tomatoe or beans Not just scrambled egg,bacon,sausage, beans or tomatoes.You have to get your meal in 1 room and take it to the dinning room which also doubles for a cycle park when not in use for meals.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fisherman99922
monfort1, Owner at Mon Fort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2009

Thank you for your review. We do attend to any items that are brought to our attention and we always ask guests if everything was satisfactory in their room at time of checking out. I'm sorry that we did not serve you fried bread - you could have simply asked for it. The breakfast is served at the bar carvery and is only opposite the dining room. The fact that I sometimes pop my bike in the dining room during the day should be of no concern to you whatsoever. I could only understand you mentioning it if I came whizzing in on it at breakfast time with the toast on the handlebars. Thank you.

Reviewed July 20, 2009

I had accidently booked the wrong dates for our break,but luckily the room we had booked was available, and the change of dates was accommodated with a smile. We stayed in room one which has a lovely sea view., and a very comfortable settee. As my husband is disabled we appreciated the easy staircase to the first floor and one of the best walk-in showers we have encountered. The large handrail in the shower, made a huge difference to his comfort and safety. The breakfast was freshly cooked to order and the portions generous. The bar is well stocked and the beer served well.
The hotel is in a very convenient location for the beach, the shops and Sewerby House which can be reached by land-train. A resident's parking pass meant we had no trouble parking, which is a tremendous benefit if you have mobility problems.
We actually stayed a day longer than intended in Bridlington rather than moving on to York. Provided we had the same room we would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Ignore any bad reviews of this hotel as i have just spent my 40th birthday here with friends for the weekend and couldnt pick fault with anything .
Friday night was karaoke night and us being not 1 of the locals were bit weary but what a great surprise !!! We were made to feel really welcome by the regulars ,holidaymakers and the owners . Great singing Lesley :))
Had a great night!!
We will definitely be returning so look out hahahaha!!!!
In a fantastic location ,close to evrything .

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This is the second time we have stayed in this hotel and both times we have enjoyed our stay.The second time we took some friends,with a mixture of frendly local people and holiday makers enjoying the evening entertainment in the very friendly hotel bar,made for a very pleasent weekend.Thanks Lesley for the lovely breakfasts,see you again soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2009

My partner and I have just returned from a 3 day Stay at the Mon Fort and I have to say, it was possibly one of the worst places we have ever stayed!

My partner had previously stayed in this establishment, under former management, and thought it would be nice to take me there as a Bank Holiday treat, the original idea was to stay 2 nights, but my partner decided to treat me to an extra night, as he checked in.

The gentleman who previously ran this establishment, was very friendly, ever obliging and just couldn't do enough for you. He ran a very clean hotel and the breakfast was something you looked forward to getting up for. However, it was obvious that there were now new owners, but we thought it would still be nice...how wrong we were!

We checked in on Saturday afternoon and was given a parking permit to park on the street as the car park was full, we struggled to get in a space outside the hotel, as other 'numptys' really didn't know how to park at the consideration of others, however, we managed to squeeze in eventually.

On entering our room, we were met with the most old fashioned decor and furnishings we had encountered in a long time. The wardrobe and dressing table was like something I had when I was about 7 (nearly 40 years ago)! The bedding was so loud, it was screaming to be brought up to date. Also, It was obvious that this room had not seen a vacuum cleaner for a long time....tiny morsels of food left behind by previous occupants, seemed to be scattered almost everywhere. (not only that, but I dropped my phone on the floor and found a pair of earphones just under the edge of the bed, obviously, dropped by a previous occupant). The windowsill hadn't seen a duster for several weeks and the shower seemed to have been forgotten when the bathroom was cleaned. The towel that was left as a substitute bath mat, looked like it hadn't been washed since the new owners took charge.

We skipped breakfast on the Sunday morning as we had stayed out quite late on the Saturday night and fancied a bit of a lie in, the 45 minute window (8.15 til 9.00am) was a little early for us, but after attending breakfast on the Monday and Tuesday morning, we hadn't missed much anyway. Bland tasting sausage, fried egg swimming in grease, cheap supermarket brand beans, (as were the tinned tomatoes) and undercooked bacon, seemed to be the order of the day on Monday morning. A slice of toast each, was a token extra and the landlady seemed non-apologetic at the fact that, when my partner poured his much needed cup of tea and filled it with sour milk, the 'floaters' were obviously 'no big deal' as we must have used milk that had been left on the table from the previous mornings breakfast. The suger bowl had a small amount of sugar left in it (as well as someone.s coffee bits that had kindly been left behind) and didn't look as though it had even been washed out in it's life! A fuller bowl could be found on the next table, also with added brown or tea coloured lumps of damp suger. Tuesday morning's breakfast was on a 'buffet' basis, and despite the fact that there had been at least a dozen golfing gentlemen staying the night, the bacon ran out after the first two chaps went to get their's, the landladies pleas of ''give me 10 seconds to bring more'' actually turned into 10 minutes, just as well we hadn't put any other food onto our, already cold, plates, but then, the tasteless breakfast was probably worse than the morning before in the fact that it had been sat there in stainless steel dishes that had never been near a heating impliment of any description! The scrambled eggs lacked the grease of the previous days fried variiety, but came with added 'liquid' that resembled 'whey' that one tends to get from cold scrambled eggs. My request for extra toast was met with disdain, but was begrudgingly brought, nonetheless, minus the smile, when I thanked the landlady (for putting herself out so much) lol!!

In the landlords favour, he did oblige us with a drink after he had already rang the bell for last orders on the Sunday night, but being 'residents' we had been used to this added privilege at other establishments. This was the only evidence throughout the whole weekend, that the management offered a 'friendly' service, as the 'lady and gentleman' obviously lacked the people skills required, to run an establishment of this nature.

As we were asked to pay for our stay 'in advance', a complaint on leaving would have probably fallen on deaf ears. as I believe that once they have your money, they really don't care about offering a service that would make you want to pay a return visit. Not only that, we seemed to have been charged the 'summer' rate, perhaps Spring Bank Holiday is the height of the season, but it certainly was not value for money

As much as we had a lovely time in Brid' (let's face it, it's what you make it), this was no thanks to the management and overall cleanliness etc, of the Mon Fort. We won't be staying there when we go back for a Northern Soul weekend in June and anyone that decides to stay here, should ask to see the room before paying for it!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
monfort1, Owner at Mon Fort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2009

Thank you for your review. I will address your comments in the same order as you have written them. Firstly, I will not make any comments regarding you comparison with the previous owner as it would be unprofessional.

Parking permits are issued to our guests and there is ample roadside parking available. I don’t think you should refer to other guests and the people of Bridlington as ‘numptys’ just because they didn’t know you would be arriving soon and would require a nice big parking space. This seems to have annoyed you at the beginning of your stay.

There is nothing wrong with our bedroom furniture – rooms are furnished in either mahogany or cream and look fine. We can’t help you not liking flowered duvet covers – the ones we use are very nice. We use proper commercial heavy cotton bath mats in our bathrooms – you may have never seen one before as you mistook it for a towel. If the room had not been cleaned correctly then it is something I will take up with staff.

Regarding breakfast – our eggs are not cooked in any kind of oil at all, they are steamed using a special commercial hotplate so I just cannot understand why you would say they were swimming in grease when we don’t use any. We don’t buy cheap supermarket beans or supermarket tomatoes. I don’t serve undercooked bacon (that would be quite dangerous). You can have as much toast as you like and I would not begrudge you any of it. When we are planning for breakfast we initially cook more than double the numbers of guests and will carry on cooking as we need it throughout breakfast. If we ran out of bacon after a couple of gentlemen had been to the buffet, you are suggesting that between them they actually helped themselves to around 36 rashers of bacon? This aside, our commercial equipments cooks 8 slices of bacon in 45 seconds which means I can produce 16 rashers easily in less than 2 minutes or even 80 rashers in one go in 5 minutes in our other equipment. Our bain marie (the hot self service device) shows from our records that the beans, tomatoes and scrambled egg were held around 92 degrees for the duration of breakfast which is way above the recommended levels. Why would you say it was cold?

Our bar has one closing time for everyone. It is not feasible for 2 guests to decide when we should close the bar. You will find this practice common at most hotels licensed for the general public. I do ask guests if they would like to pay on arrival when we are particularly busy to prevent everyone waiting around at checkout on Sunday mornings. We don’t mind if you prefer to pay on leaving and this option was given to you.

Lastly, I believe we do offer a friendly service. If people arrive in a bad mood and are determined to find fault with everything then that is not within our control. I don’t think you ought to comment about people skills, or my particular skills, until you have experienced running a hotel and a bar and have first hand knowledge of what is actually involved in running this kind of business.

Lastly, regarding a small jug of milk which was left on one of the tables, I did apologise and also deducted £10 from your bill for this faux pas which you failed to mention in your review.

Thank You.

Reviewed May 10, 2009

If you can imagine Faulty Towers with none of the humour then you are part way to getting a picture of what this hotel is like. If you are fond of the 70's then you might appreciate the decor. We all felt like we were in a scene from 'Life On Mars' or 'Ashes to Ashes' hoping we'd all wake up from the coma we were in and be in a tasteful modern hotel. I do believe our room even had some original 70's dust that had accumulated since it was last cleaned. Being a bloke I can pretty much put up with dirty toilet bowls unpleasant smells, a face full of cobweb on entering the room and bed linen that seems to have been badly washed in cabbage water but my wife, who is slightly more fussy, found the whole experience quite disturbing.
There is a 45 -minute window for breakfast (8.15 - 9.00) that consisted of a choice of instant coffee or tea, orange juice (a choice here of cold and dilute, or 'fizzy' past the sell by date variety), cereal, in bowls rather distastefully decorated with bits of previous meals, and a full English.
Thankfully you have to book out by 10.00 am a feature I'm sure the owners have thoughtfully added to spare customers the trauma of having to stay any longer than necessary. If by some cruel twist of fate you aren't out in time the owner considerately comes to your room to remind you your punishment is over and you may leave. A detail one of our party was thankful for.
Slightly cheaper than hiring a skip for the weekend but with similar features this hotel is perhaps slightly better than spending the night in a box with a copy of the Big Issue... But only just!
When we were students we stayed in some pretty nasty dives but dreamed of better things. Better things have come but there's always something that pops up from time to time to remind you of your roots or where you might end up if you fall on hard times.
If there is a god then this place will cease to function as a hotel but the owners could make an equally good living running it as a living museum.

• Stayed: May 2009
monfort1, owner at Mon Fort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2009

Thank you for your rather surprising and insulting review. However, I think you have failed to include what I believe to be the major reasons for your remarks. Firstly, after making your Friday and Saturday night reservation many weeks ago, you then requested, at 5 pm on Friday night, that you would like to stay Saturday only and would I please re-let the room. As it was highly unlikely that I could re-let the room at 6 o’clock on a Friday night, my refusal, and subsequent charge for the 2 night stay as booked obviously annoyed you immensely. Secondly, we did not see you or any of your other party until you walked in the bar at 2.15 am and Sunday morning and requested to be served although you were had obviously spent a lot of time in the bars in town and hardly needed to be served further. As we were at the point of going to bed my husband offered you and your party one nightcap, which I will truthfully add I would not have done. At quarter to three in the morning when we refused further drinks you were made it quite clear how disgruntled and annoyed you were. Thirdly, when guests do not appear for breakfast and there is not sign of them checking out at the requested time we do have to wake them up – guests have been known to take a further 2 hours to get out of bed which is unacceptable from our point of view. I awoke your friends at around 10.30 am and they vacated their room around 11am.

Regarding your other comments, our rooms are as seen on our website which do not really match your descriptions. We only serve fresh orange juice which is never past its sell by date – if you can recognise the taste of old orange juice it is not from drinking it on our premises.

Finally, regarding your comments about the bed linen. I have checked with our laundry supplier and confirmed that he is not washing the bed linen anywhere near cabbages. I will not make any further comments regarding vegetables and your room. Please note that my reply is based on actual events.

Thank You.