“No better than many and not as good as some”

Fish and Chips at 149
Ranked #7 of 226 Restaurants in Bridlington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The Fish and Chips at 149 philosophy is that the customer deserves the best possible experience from the moment you walk through the door to the very last bite. We work in every area of our business constantly striving for the best possible results. Fish and Chips at 149 has two shops, one on Marton Road in Bridlington and the other, on Galgate in Barnard Castle. Come and say hello.
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Was disappointed. Britain's best? I did not think so. I would say average for the area and could name others better in my opinion. Parking very difficult people sitting around on the grass area in front of the shop must be a nightmare for local residents. Service no better than most chip shops in the area. It was not worth the drive there to try it out.

2  Thank JoanMSmith

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Living in Bridlington, I had heard good things about 149 and I finally got to visit this lunch time.
The fish was freshly cooked to order, but I found it was no better than most local fish shops. It was slightly overcooked and a bit dry, but the batter was light and tasty. The chips were a touch leathery too. I don't know what all the fuss is about, it is certainly not the best fish and chip shop in the area, and not a patch on Stuart's of Driffield, where the fish is always beautifully moist. Sorry, but I can only rate it average.

2  Thank lindaloulou
Reviewed September 4, 2013

After hearing soo much about Britain's best chippy, we were sad to go there and taste by far the greasiest fish and chips we've ever had the misfortune of having. The parking was non existent and people were parking anywhere they could, god knows how the residents must feel with that every night. Then the ques were horrendous. So after waiting for what seemed like an eternity I got home to find what can only be described as 4 boxes of grease! The fish was soggy as well. If I'd not just finished a 14th shift at work I would have taken them straight back but I just couldn't be bothered.
Loved my ham and cheese toasties that night thank you!

6  Thank chubbyhead
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Finally got try to 149 last night, Parking is beyond a joke, maybe worth asking the council to introduce a one way system ? Plus all that grassed area in front would be ideal for tables &chairs. Turned my car round near some garages at the rear of the shop and spotted the young fryer having a quick cigarette. Got parked, went in,woman behind the counter finally asked me what I wanted, I said three haddock not sure she told the lad doing the frying though, five minutes later she asked me again. Got the order with a cup of tea 2x peas but they had no breadcakes. Drove down to the beach to eat them, first impressions the fish was superb, nice light batter and superb chips, peas ok, cup of tea was nice however the grease from the fish does congeal very quickly ! The other complaint from the 3 of us, was the fish seemed overdone on the edges where the batter hadn't stuck to the fish. Overall 8 out of ten. Not sure if the lass serving thought she was comedienne and I'm sure her and the fryer lad were at loggerheads with each other and seemed to be playing a game of one upmanship. Not sure why they have little chalkboards that tells me what local boat caught the fish and what breed of potatoes went into the chips

2  Thank sbdtiger
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

After reading reviews on trip advisor we decided to visit whilst on holiday in filey.
The fish and chips were great, service not so. my order was wrong and I had to repeat it numerous times, the assistant was more interested in talking than listening, didn't really need to know what her friends had put on Facebook!!