“best b&b”

Ranked #11 of 118 Bridlington B&B and Inns
Wath upon Dearne, England, United Kingdom
“best b&b”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

the best b&b in bridlington would recommend sue cooks a very nice english breakfast terry he just makes you feel so welcome they cant do enough for you thanks loads from marc barny ade wayne and of course old malc see you next year

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
sue1236, Owner at Malvern Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Hi boys hope you had another great weekend it was nice seeing you all again dont forget the next time its the ladys turn ( you can come as well lol ) looking forward to seeing you all again next year take care and dont forget to look after Malc.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
warks
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Good old fashioned guest house with a family atmosphere and excellent owners.
The decor might not be to everyones taste but Susan and Terry cannot be faulted for their friendly manner and their "nothing is to much trouble attitude. Extras in the room were numerous, you could arrive without toiletries and everything was there. Only stayed one night at the end of the Way of the Roses cycle route but wished we had booked longer.Secure storage for bikes.
In th centre of Bridlington with everything a few minutes walk away. Would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hi thank you for your kind review i suppose we have an old type guesthouse with a modern twist we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope if you are ever in the area you pop in and see us, if only for a cup of tea, as we say you came as a guest but we hope you went home as our friends take care from all at the Malvern.
Leeds
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Needing a B+B for a one night stay whilst visiting family, I researched the available guesthouses and was impressed with the reviews I found for the Malvern Guesthouse. Overall, I would say that the reviews are accurate and that this is a lovely guesthouse to stay in, however, a few minor service issues meant my stay wasn't five star perfect.

Firstly, upon arriving at the guesthouse in the absolute pouring rain and dripping wet, I was welcomed inside and advised that my room would be on the top floor as another guest had requested a lower floor (fair enough - I'm fit enough to climb stairs). As I was soaked through, Susan advised that she would bring some more towels up to my room (as I was using the sole large towel to dry off), sadly, this did not happen. Secondly, the top room has it's own toilet across the corridor, but after ten minutes of searching I couldn't find the key. Down the stairs I went to be told it was hidden on top of the wardrobe (?!).

After half an hour of drying off and a quick change, I went out for the day and everything went to plan.

The next morning, I woke up and decided to have a coffee from the extensive coffee facilities in the room, only to realise that there was no spoon or any other way of stirring my drink. As retrieving one meant getting dressed and doing the stairs run again, I just made do and sadly made a bit of a mess (sorry!). Coffee issues overcome, I got myself sorted and went down for breakfast.

A pot of tea and breakfast was served by Susan's daughter who was very polite and helpful and who, on bringing my breakfast asked if I wanted more toast. I indicated that I did and tucked in. Ten minutes after finishing my breakfast, Susan realised that I hadn't had my extra toast and offered to make it. Unfortunately, the idea of the extra toast was to eat with breakfast, so I declined and had a shower and left.

In terms of the room, it is absolutely lovely. Susan has obviously put a lot of effort and time into the B+B and it shows. My room had a great double bed with loads of cushions and I slept like a log. The rest of the B+B is of a similarly high standard, with a great shower in my en-suite and a nice breakfast room. Although the top rooms need a bit of time when you're running water (due to gravity and plumbing) this is something you should really expect in buildings of this type. In terms of location, this B+B is five minutes walk from the train station and five minutes walk to the town centre - can't argue with that.

Overall, I was happy with my stay, but thought the accumulation of the minor service issues was a bit of a shadow on a great B+B. Although Susan did react quickly to the issues I did raise, it was a bit of a let down to have to prompt, especially with being on the top floor.

I would recommend this place and would stay again, providing I got my toast and a coffee spoon ;)

All the best,

Dave

Room Tip: Room 7 was lovely, but not suitable for people with mobility issues. Also faces out onto the road so...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
sue1236, Owner at Malvern Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Dave can i hold my hands up and say i am very sorry for the trouble i caused you it was totaly my fault and there is no excuse. The reason it did happen, we had been rather busy and silly me allowed my husband to take a few days holiday, which meant i was doing thing almost single handed. i know this is no excuse, i did say i would give you extra towels of which i forget and the over site to the spoon is my fault i should have checked better when i cleaned the room, but as they say things happen in 3 so then for me to forget your toast was another bad over site, i am sorry i think it the result of a stress full week trying to do things alone. I hope you can except my apologise it wont happen again ( i hope )
The room that you had can i say would have been no different on the lower floor it was still a room with private toilet of which you booked and i did explain that the guest that i put in there were an older couole and not as agile as you. i Hope these problems havnt put you off coming to see us again, if you do return i will make it my job to give you first class service 5 star at that thank you for your review i promise it has worked it wont happen again take care Susan
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Wonderfull welcome from Susan at the Malvern Guest house.We just needed an overnight stay with our two grandchildren.The family room was great. Beds really comfortable and full english was spot on. Would return.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi Carol thank you for your kind remarks, it was nice meeting you and can i say you have 2 lovely well manered grand children and i am glad everthing was ok with the room.Sorry the weather wasnt a bit better for you but i guess we have to make the best of it this year maybe next time you come you may be lucky and see a bit of sun. Take care and maybe see you again. Susan
Normanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We found the guesthouse excellent susan,terry and ashleigh were great.
Everything from arriving to leaving was great and was really impressed that megan our 5 year olds name was remember at breakfast and she was treat like an adult.
Thanks Guys We Will Be Back

Room Tip: we stayed in room 4 and had a big shower
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi Marie it was nice to meet you and your family and Megan is a sweet little girl.Hope everthing goes well with your next one, the next time you come to see us we will have to get the travel cot ready for the new addition. Dont forget keep in touch lets us know what you get. Anyway take care and hope all goes well for you all in the future. Take care Susan
Marlborough,
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at Malvern Guest House for a week and enjoyed it very much. Susan and Terry were always very friendly and nothing seemed to much trouble for them. The room we had, number three, was a bit on the small side but quite adequate for us. We were always able to make ourselves tea or coffee, with biscuits provided. There was also a television in each room. The whole house was spotlessly clean and well cared for.

The breakfasts we were served were almost too much for us with a great selection of cereals, orange or apple juice followed by a full cooked breakfast with toast. I had the slightly reduced version of this! There were also other meals available, although we were never there for these. Everything in the dining room was well presented.

Susan, Terry and their youngsters made us very welcome and we felt as though we were just staying withy the family. We were told that we were always welcome to join them in the sitting room. When my wife and I had relatives visiting they too were made very welcome.

We really enjoyed our stay in Bridlington and spent a lot of our time just pottering around the town, beach and harbour. We thought that it was a pleasant and welcoming place. We also made a number of local trips out and became very fond of Flamborough Head which is a few miles along the coast. This is really a beautiful area and well worthy a visit. As you will gather, we highly recommend Malvern Guest House as a place to stay during your visit to Yorkshire.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words, Sorry its took a while to reply, but we have been a little busy with all our following guests. Can i say you where a lovely couple no trouble at all.
The room you had was room 2 not room 3 and i know realy room 1 and 2 are small basic double rooms adiquate for a couple of nights away but maybe not for a full week. if i am not too busy i will move guest around in to different rooms but sometimes i carnt so i have to give them the rooms they have booked.
Im glad that you had a good week you certanley made it work for you with those long days out and can i just say it was nice to meet your relatives too, she is a grand old lady. As we say come as a guest and leave as a friend of which i hope you have and you are welcome back when ever your back in the area. Take care Susan
Loughborough
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We found the Malvern Guesthouse last minute, our 1st time in a B&B and I'm so glad we did. We stayed for 3 nights and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again when around the area.

The room (no. 1) was lovely, really comfy bed, tv, bathrobes and towels and tea and coffee making facilities. The room and the shared bathroom were spotlessly clean. Before we arrived, I'd not realised it was a shared bathroom so was a little apprehensive but everything was so clean and it really wouldn't have been any better if we'd had an en-suite.

Sue has thought of absolutely everything that you might need...when we got there we were given a parking permit to park just opposite; there's a foldaway table in your room in case you want takeaway, plenty of menus and personal recommendations for where to eat out, and even picnic plates and cutlery to take out during the day; there's games and magazines if you want them and a fridge where you can store food or drinks you want to keep cool. if you think of anything you need, just let Sue know, she probably has it somewhere or will get it for you!

And then there's breakfast. Better than any hotel I've stayed in I'm sure and if you eat all that you are offered you won't need any lunch. Sue's cooked breakfast was absolutely gorgeous and she even remembers what you don't like for the rest of your stay.

If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Bridlington (it is just a short walk to the town, beach and harbour) or visiting the wider area (Whitby, Scarborough etc) and want somewhere that is good value for money definitely consider the Malvern guesthouse, you won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple