The Swan at Streatley
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsgorengoverlooking the riversuperb locationafternoon teathe ground floorevening mealbar areastayed for one nightstreatleyweddingrefurb
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2006

My wife and I have stopped at The Swan several times over the years, our most recent visit being in July 2006 when we had an elegant room overlooking the river Thames. The cost for this was £161 which is expensive even for this area. The hotel appears to be trading on its location overlooking the river Thames, as the service and catering have gradually deteriorated over time and is now only just adequate.

The main problem during this last visit was a wedding party whose reception seemed to be taking place just below our windows. The noise of this went on to way past midnight and thereafter we were disturbed by wedding guests making their way to their rooms.

Breakfast is Self Service and consequently the 'kept warm' bacon and scrambled egg are not always palatable. Service at breakfast can be variable, on our latest visit the delivery of the hot food was delayed by some 15 minutes.

The reception staff are pleasent and helpful but we had a problem with our bedding which we asked to be changed from a duvet to sheet and blankets. All that happened was that a sheet and a blanket were delivered to our room and placed on the bed leaving us to remove the duvet and remake with the blankets! Not good enough for a smart hotel.

Sorry to say we shall not be staying there again.

7  Thank Richard2263
Reviewed July 23, 2006

I booked a Saturday night 'get a way from it all' last weekend at The Swan. What could be nicer on a hot summer weekend to be messing about on the river? The weather was perfect, the surroundings beautiful and then there was the hotel..... We were so disappointed! We are busy, pale London folk who enjoy getting out of the 'smoke' when we can and are pretty easy going. I booked the Swan because it professed to be a quality hotel with a good restaurant, somewhere a little more special to spend the weekend. The place is tired and run down, the Manager's eye is definately off the ball. Despirately in need of refurbishment our doouble room (2 beds pushed together so the head board was in the wrong place and the bedside table miles away. Went to move it closer and the leg fell off!!!) Nice big room, shabby furniture, dated decor all of which I could live with but on the bathroom was awful. Not only was there no cold water pressure in the taps but no hot water either! Very hot weather so cold shower welcome! (Joke). Drinks on the terrace outside .. never seen so may dead fag ends down the edge of the path at the river side!!! The restaurant was nicely decorated (in a style so divorced from the rest of the hotel!) Looking forward to a good dinner we were again sadly disappointed. The menu was pretentious and not very tasty and not very hot! Breakfast was another thrilling moment - the elderly (very elderly - honestly) waitess seemed swapped by the demand for more than one couple to be seated and their requests for tea / coffee to be noted - felt quiet sorry for her! Fruit and yogurt was wonderful, even if the raspberrys were still frozen when you bit into them! But, they still tasted nice which is more than could be said for the hot food - which was actually far from hot and when it came to the sauages far from cooked!! They were pink! When we pointed all this out we were told - I can re heat it for you.... sad, very sad...Dear owners of the Swan, get your act together you are ripping people off!

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank gillwa
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I can only agree with many of the other reviews - the hotel really needs an overhall. The shower in my room was very poor, and the bathroom had a musty damp smell. What I was most shocked by was the fact that tinned fruit (strawberries) were served at breakfast, and this was the height of the English Strawberry season. Not impressed. I statyed the night before at the Weir View in Pangbourne, a much better bet

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank domestic_goddess68
Reviewed November 3, 2005

My husband, baby and I visited in early Ocotber for just a one night stay for our anniversary. We booked via laterooms and got a very cheap B&B deal. The room we were given obviously reflected this, as it was very shabby and in dire need of an overhaul. We were given a travelcot for our daughter which was very uncomfortable and old.
We had arranged for a babysitter and booked a meal at the restaurant. This was the saving of the weekend. The food was lovely, not cheap, but very nice. The restaurant and the public areas seemed to be looked after better. We had no problems with the service, although we did have to explain what a shandy was at lunchtime.
The spa was being refurbished at the time, I assume this is how the hotel gets its 4* rating when it's available.
Be warned, there is nothing around, just tiny villages and lovely walks on the river. Go to Henley for a nice day out.

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank hgbe
A TripAdvisor Member
Harrogate
Reviewed September 19, 2005

Two of our dearest friends were getting married at this location so we came onto this website to check out the location and after having read these reviews we were somewhat dreading what we would find on arrival and hoping against hope that our friends day would go without a hitch.
We really couldnt of asked for more the rooms were fine, the food was hot for all courses served, the service was friendly and efficient the only downside was they could of had some more staff on the bar at the evening reception. The rooms were comfortable and during the reception I lost my bracelet, I left my details with reception and on returning home found they had found it and posted it on. It was a perfect setting and really does not deserve the previous reviews.

• Stayed: September 2005