“Excellent location, but oh so sad.”

The Swan at Streatley Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is now permanently closed
Moulsford on Thames, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, but oh so sad.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We are regulars at the swan, and it upsets us to see the wasted potential of this hotel. Out last visit was particularly disappointing. We ate outside by the river, and ordered from the bar menu. One dish was the worst club sandwich we had ever seen with crunchy brown chicken. We sent it back and was told that the next one would be the same. So we went hungry.

1 Thank Stevo9999

Dartford, United Kingdom
“Visit on 28/10/12”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This visit was as part of a large group for a celebration of the 50th anniversary of a long-distance walking event in the area. The beautiful setting becomes apparent from getting off the train and walking through Goring. Friendly staff, ideally-sized room for our group, well organised in sending us for our food a few at a time. Lovely food when we got it, I especially loved the starters and the fact that we could have several 'mini puds' if we wanted - and cheese as well! The Stilton was divine. I came for the day but understand the rooms were comfortable.

• Visited October 2012
London
“Still as inconsistent as ever.”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I can never decided what to eat here, I always seem to order the wrong thing and end up disappointed.
This time we visited on a Sunday again, but strangely there were no roast dinners on offer, a shame as the roast I had last time was superb.
So I had the steak (small one) and chips. Steak was really not good, I knew it would be small but would have expected something better tasting for the money. It's supposed to be from rare breed herd, but I've had better steaks in a Harvester. Tough and inedible, I saved it for my dog. And as mentioned by others - the chips are wonderful but you only get about 8.
Had dessert as was still hungry and it was wonderful. Of course everyone else in my party was happy, their food and serving size was much better than mine. *Grump*
Service was very slow, waiting staff (as usual) overworked but at the same time very polite and apologetic.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Monkeypink
West Sussex UK
“Great location,poor food and very expensive.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Quite possibly the worst so called fine dining experience I have ever had.

The food was poorly presented and on cold plates. I echo the previous reviewers comments regarding the steak. It was grey and over cooked.

We complained about each course and this was taken off the bill and to be quite honest I would expect nothing less.

This is a very affluent area and this is reflected in the prices which is far far in excess for the quality of the cuisine.

Its a shame because the location is amazing and it could be quite special.

I would never return and you visit at your peril

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank lordhillyer
Yateley
“Fantastic location”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Overlooking the Thames. The water is high at the moment and rushing past the windows. The Menu is small, 5 starters and mains and desserts. Once we had decided and ordered, we had to wait as the food is cooked to order. As there were only 3 other people in the restaurant at the time, it did seem to take longer than it should have.

Visited October 2012