I booked a one night stop over at the Great House at Sonning after checking it out on Trip Advisor first. I was a little worried at some of the comments but it was good value booked via Booking .com at £49 for the night. The price advertised for a one person stop over is £112. Very steep!!!.
It was very easy to find sitting next to the river with a large car park for approximately 100 cars. The hotel is split in two with the original hotel building and a newer wing opposite. I walked into the reception that looked very smart. It was unoccupied but had instructions to dial 'o' for attention. I did so and no one appeared. I walked through to the bar and the barman then came out and dialled 'o'. Still no response. He eventually found a member of staff who could carry out the booking in procedure and with many apologies I was in. Apparently the phone had been switched off.
I was put in room 5 on the first floor. This was accessed via a flight of stairs. Very wide with a large chandelier hanging from the ceiling. I was expecting a single room but I was pleasantly surprised to find a large room with a double bed and large bathroom. You could have used this for a four day break let alone one night.
The bathroom was bright and had a powerful shower. The bedroom had a large window unfortunately not with a river view. The downside was the TV. It worked but was very old, not flat screen although it did have a digital box attached. If I had paid full price I would have been very disappointed.
The whole hotel was clean and comfortable apart from one cobweb I saw in the bathroom by the light fitting. It was a hot night and I slept with the window open but this unfortunately let the road noise in. Although Sonning is a village it suffers from quiet high traffic flow.
. The bar at the bottom of the stairs was lacking in atmosphere but as it was a pleasant evening I sat in the garden that overlooks the river. I ordered from a fixed price menu. The food was good not brilliant but reasonable value at £8.50 for a home made burger and fries. A good range of beers on sale but maybe 20-30 pence a pint dearer than pub prices.
Breakfast was served from 7.30am and as normal it was a choice of continental or full English or a mixture of the two. Mine was included in the £49 I paid but if purchased separately it was £10.95.
Service once the initial booking in was sorted out was very good with the staff being very friendly. I would use it again but only at a discount.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently refurbished, The Great House on the banks of the river Thames in Sonning offers contemporary and stylish en-suite rooms. The hotel offers easy access to the A4, Reading and the M4, ample free parking for guest's use and free WiFi throughout. Bedrooms are located in separate buildings: the original White Hart Hotel, the 16th century palace yard, the 17th century coach house, and the clock tower. Rooms include a number of comfortable features including luxury bedding, work desks and rain showers. A newly opened all-day restaurant, Coppa Club, includes a relaxed bar area with an open fire and an outdoor terrace overlooking the gardens and river. Breakfast can be ordered from 7:30am and a wide range of options are available from healthy smoothies to a full Skillet Breakfast. In the main house guests can work throughout the day and enjoy fresh coffee and snacks whilst making use of the complimentary WiFi and numerous power points. Situated in the picturesque conservation village of Sonning-on-Thames, the hotel is a 20-minute drive to Reading and Henley-on-Thames and less than 2 miles from Thames Valley Business Park. We look forward to welcoming you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Great House At Sonning reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great House At Sonning Hotel Sonning On Thames
- The Great House At Sonning Sonning On Thames, Berkshire