Sorry to say but the experience staying at the Great House was anything but Great, which was a shame because the staff I came into contact with were very pleasant and friendly.
My room was small, very dated, had a musty smell and was not the cleanest, my window opened directly onto the busy main road and I mean literally onto the main road which was extremely noisy to the point that I could not open it for the noise which made the room very stuffy.
I decided to have a bar meal there to avoid trying to battle with the continuous traffic going past, I ordered their burger and chips and to be honest that's exactly what came, there was no dressing or a bit of side salad just a couple of lettuce leaves and a slice of tomato on the burger, for £8.50 I did find this very disappointing, maybe I should of known what the quality was like as I was the only person eating there at the time.
The bed was very uncomfortable, probably the worst nights sleep I have ever had and needless to say was woken up at 5.45 a.m. with the noise of the traffic. I went to have breakfast a bit hesitant following my burger experience but found their buffet breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and helped yourself. However even though I enjoyed breakfast I would not stay at this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently refurbished, The Great House on the banks of the river Thames in Sonning offers contemporary and stylish en-suite rooms. The hotel offers easy access to the A4, Reading and the M4, ample free parking for guest's use and free WiFi throughout. Bedrooms are located in separate buildings: the original White Hart Hotel, the 16th century palace yard, the 17th century coach house, and the clock tower. Rooms include a number of comfortable features including luxury bedding, work desks and rain showers. A newly opened all-day restaurant, Coppa Club, includes a relaxed bar area with an open fire and an outdoor terrace overlooking the gardens and river. Breakfast can be ordered from 7:30am and a wide range of options are available from healthy smoothies to a full Skillet Breakfast. In the main house guests can work throughout the day and enjoy fresh coffee and snacks whilst making use of the complimentary WiFi and numerous power points. Situated in the picturesque conservation village of Sonning-on-Thames, the hotel is a 20-minute drive to Reading and Henley-on-Thames and less than 2 miles from Thames Valley Business Park. We look forward to welcoming you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Orbitz so you can book your The Great House At Sonning reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Great House At Sonning Hotel Sonning On Thames
- The Great House At Sonning Sonning On Thames, Berkshire