“Wonderful restaurant -'character' rooms”
Review of French Horn Hotel

French Horn Hotel
Reviewed June 25, 2014

What a wonderful position right on the Thames with the calm relaxing sounds of the river flowing past the stunningly verdant gardens. Full of character and atmosphere and charm.
The food in the restaurant was out of this world, traditional but perfect and cooked and served with panache friendliness and efficiency. the charm of the restaurant manager and manageress were uplifting, perfect balance between warmth and service.
The accommodation was interesting. The bedroom looked like a set of an Alan Akeburn play - perfectly preserved 1970's decor
and rather worn. Not the selling point.
Breakfast was in the garden and was exactly English Country House Hotel.
So great for eating not so great fro sleeping

Room Tip: go for the suites on the first floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed here last Saturday night on a deal. Glorious position on the Thames. Wonderful attractive grounds. Shown to our mini suite in one of the cottages across quite a busy road. Very clean room although the sanitary ware in the bathroom a tad jaded. Lovely spot. No coffee/tea facilities in room but you just need to ask and they arrive with a jug of fresh milk! Went for a long walk along the tow path. Had drinks on the terrace followed by a really good dinner. It was al a carte and covered by our deal but if going on your own the prices are quite expensive. Had coffee on terrace. Our room was right at the end so pretty quiet but did notice the rooms nearer the road had double gazing. Bed a little on the firm side. Breakfast ordered night before and delivered at requested time. Great breakfast but noticed several chips on the crockery - again a bit jaded. Service throughout brilliant. Attentive and friendly but not obtrusive. Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Audrey P
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed here over the May bank holiday having found it on the Secret Escape website. It was truly wonderful and a pity we couldn't have stayed longer.
We stayed in a deluxe studio room which was across the road from the main hotel overlooking the Thames.
We were served coffee and cake when we arrived on the Sunday afternoon - all included in the cost of our stay.
Pre dinner drinks in the bar area with an open log fire - very relaxing.
Dinner was in the main restaurant again overlooking the Thames. There was a choice of a set menu or the al la carte menu. Fabulous meal served very professionally.
Breakfast was served in our room as it was a little early and chilly to eat on the terrace outside our room. Next time we stay there we hope to have a slightly later breakfast and that the weather is warm enough to enjoy it on the terrace outside our room.
Room was slightly aged but the bathroom was quite modern with a good range of toiletries available.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main hotel to be able to enjoy your own terrace
2  Thank dunnaz2012
Reviewed May 28, 2014

From the moment we were greeted through to our checkout this quintessential restaurant/hotel delivered in every aspect.
The open fire, the chattering ambience during pre-dinner drinks and delightfully reserved but friendly service set high anticipations for what was to come. We were not disappointed. From the moment we were escorted in to the dining area, the simplicity of the crisp white linen and classic cutlery and simple décor continued to heighten our expectations.
The execution of our dining experience was superlative in both quality and delivery. If I was to be overly objective the only comment I could make was that the Foie Gras crowning the magnificent Filet of Aberdeen Angus was slightly too large…..for my wife.
Overall a most enjoyable evening and overnight stay that comes with a price but worth every penny in my eyes. Will most certainly be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard D
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here over bank holiday weekend on an amazing secret escapes offer. Value for money was outstanding. We had a truly magnificent meal from the a la carte menu which was served with true professionalism. Attention to detail second to none. Fantastic team of people making the service and your stay the best it possibly can be. Our room, cottage number 26 with its idyllic location overlooking the Thames was lovely, clean and comfortable. Having read other reviews I have to admit that some may find the decor dated but it is so charming and traditionally English that we couldn't,t help but overlook this fact.

Room Tip: The cottages are located over the road from restaurant and very quiet inside.
2  Thank GloucestershireGirl
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I'm sure this hotel is ok if your not on company business, I was booked in here by an agent and would not have chosen it myself.
Firstly the restaurant is so expensive that I had to eat elsewhere as my company would certainly question the bill.
While I was out someone came into my room put the lights on closed the curtains and turned the bed down,now this is great service but I would have preferred to have been told this was going to happen instead of simply going in unannounced.
I don't like having to choose what I want for breakfast or the time I want it before I retire at night or having to get up to let someone into my room to serve it in the morning.
Call me picky if you want but I also like to watch TV in bed not in an adjacent room in an uncomfortable chair and a coffee/tea making facility would also have been a nice touch.
Finally at check out I am usually asked how my stay was but not here.
Won't be returning!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank china_blue
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Just spent the weekend here - we were blessed with lovely weather but, even so, I reckon it would be just as nice mid-winter.
Lovely cottage to stay in overlooking the river, service and staff all very friendly and efficient, food gorgeous.
Breakfast on terrace by river, brought to our room at our chosen time.
Would recommend to anyone, and will definitely be coming back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonning on Thames
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa

Been to French Horn Hotel? Share your experiences!