“Excellent retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

French Horn Hotel
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed here over the May bank holiday having found it on the Secret Escape website. It was truly wonderful and a pity we couldn't have stayed longer.
We stayed in a deluxe studio room which was across the road from the main hotel overlooking the Thames.
We were served coffee and cake when we arrived on the Sunday afternoon - all included in the cost of our stay.
Pre dinner drinks in the bar area with an open log fire - very relaxing.
Dinner was in the main restaurant again overlooking the Thames. There was a choice of a set menu or the al la carte menu. Fabulous meal served very professionally.
Breakfast was served in our room as it was a little early and chilly to eat on the terrace outside our room. Next time we stay there we hope to have a slightly later breakfast and that the weather is warm enough to enjoy it on the terrace outside our room.
Room was slightly aged but the bathroom was quite modern with a good range of toiletries available.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main hotel to be able to enjoy your own terrace
2 Thank dunnaz2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

From the moment we were greeted through to our checkout this quintessential restaurant/hotel delivered in every aspect.
The open fire, the chattering ambience during pre-dinner drinks and delightfully reserved but friendly service set high anticipations for what was to come. We were not disappointed. From the moment we were escorted in to the dining area, the simplicity of the crisp white linen and classic cutlery and simple décor continued to heighten our expectations.
The execution of our dining experience was superlative in both quality and delivery. If I was to be overly objective the only comment I could make was that the Foie Gras crowning the magnificent Filet of Aberdeen Angus was slightly too large…..for my wife.
Overall a most enjoyable evening and overnight stay that comes with a price but worth every penny in my eyes. Will most certainly be staying again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard D
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here over bank holiday weekend on an amazing secret escapes offer. Value for money was outstanding. We had a truly magnificent meal from the a la carte menu which was served with true professionalism. Attention to detail second to none. Fantastic team of people making the service and your stay the best it possibly can be. Our room, cottage number 26 with its idyllic location overlooking the Thames was lovely, clean and comfortable. Having read other reviews I have to admit that some may find the decor dated but it is so charming and traditionally English that we couldn't,t help but overlook this fact.

Room Tip: The cottages are located over the road from restaurant and very quiet inside.
2 Thank GloucestershireGirl
Leicester UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

I'm sure this hotel is ok if your not on company business, I was booked in here by an agent and would not have chosen it myself.
Firstly the restaurant is so expensive that I had to eat elsewhere as my company would certainly question the bill.
While I was out someone came into my room put the lights on closed the curtains and turned the bed down,now this is great service but I would have preferred to have been told this was going to happen instead of simply going in unannounced.
I don't like having to choose what I want for breakfast or the time I want it before I retire at night or having to get up to let someone into my room to serve it in the morning.
Call me picky if you want but I also like to watch TV in bed not in an adjacent room in an uncomfortable chair and a coffee/tea making facility would also have been a nice touch.
Finally at check out I am usually asked how my stay was but not here.
Won't be returning!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank china_blue
Swaffham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Just spent the weekend here - we were blessed with lovely weather but, even so, I reckon it would be just as nice mid-winter.
Lovely cottage to stay in overlooking the river, service and staff all very friendly and efficient, food gorgeous.
Breakfast on terrace by river, brought to our room at our chosen time.
Would recommend to anyone, and will definitely be coming back.

england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed in one of the cottages [27] , ground floor living room with fridge and tv, and upstairs double bedroom and a very large bathroom with a separate bath and shower, two sinks. Upstairs very bright with good size rooms. Bedroom looks out over the Thames which was wonderful.

There is a small table and chairs outside each cottage along a shared patio area, overlooking a lovely lawn that leads down to the Thames. Lovely for a drink in the sunshine or even breakfast if the weather allows.

Breakfast is served in the cottage and is prepared in a kitchen that is located in the cottages, so is served very hot.

I do feel that the room needs a little lift as the décor is a bit faded/dated, the cottage is clean and spacious but could be made so much nicer with a little tlc.,

I was told by a manager that the cottages where the home of the mill workers, no doubt they where very small for the parents to raise a family but as a place to stay now they are fantastic.

Had a great time at the French Horn and hope it will not be long until we return

Graeme

1 Thank geepee
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

The service was impeccable, nothing was too much trouble. The food and wine were superb; the room (Cottage) extremely comfortable and spacious. An idyllic location. My wife and I couldn't have asked for more.

1 Thank GMS55
#1 of 1 in Streatley on Thames
The Forbury Roseate
The Forbury Roseate
#2 of 32 in Reading

Been to French Horn Hotel? Share your experiences!