“Good Food, Great Real Ale, Friendly People.”
Review of The Swan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inkpen
The Swan Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Inkpen B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed over night while working locally. After a hard day's work the brilliant food, punching well above it's weight really hit the spot. This was restaurant standard food in a pub. A very rare commodity these days. I had swordfish which was cooked to perfection; often can be overcooked and dry but not here. There is a decent choice of lager and bitter. The locally brewed real ale on draft was stored well and tasted great. Another business man who was staying grumbled that there was no Sky Sport but I was very glad because I got to talk to the owner, his wife, and a local chap all of whom were very friendly. The Spanish barman also cooked and served the breakfast which was a bit on the slow side. Not sure if it was because his English was limited but his reply of just "No" to my request for white bread toast (only brown bread was brought to my table) was a bit of a let down. This is a minor niggle so it won't stop me coming back to try the organic beef that they rear themselves.

Room Tip: I slept like a baby in Room 8
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We selected The Swan for the first night of a two week trip to England's Southwest primarily because of its convenience to Heathrow, as well as on the basis of a positive review in The Good Pub Guide. It did not disappoint. The managers, Mary and Bernard, were most welcoming, the ale selection was excellent, likewise the food. Best of all, we chanced to come in on Quiz Night and despite jet lag managed to give a decent account of ourselves until getting to the category of British sportsmen. Thanks to a zero score in that round, we came in last among the ten or so teams. But we had a terrific time talking and joking with the locals--one of our favorite pub evenings ever (and there have been many). Don't miss the home-cured bresaola prepared by Vicenzo, the chef from Catania.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jwhorton
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Beautiful countryside and a lovely morning walk led us to the Swan, I'd been here many moons ago on a long distance walk and found the beer excellent and it didn't disappoint this time, v nice Butts Jesters and Traditional. We ate in the restaurant section which was a little chilly despite three open fires in the pub though the waiter did offer to bring us a heater (so our own British "don't complain" faults I suppose). I had the swordfish steak which was excellent in its tomato and pepper sauce, my companions all went for the organic beef roast which was plentiful though it cooled quickly on cold plates (I noticed a review earlier mentioning this, they need to learn!!).
We were challenged on leaving regarding payment though we'd left the bill amount plus quite a reasonable tip on the table, you need to pay at the bar!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

It's hard to believe that such a broad menu can be supported by the kitchen of a somewhat 'off the beaten track' pub. But it is more than supported because the kitchen excelled in each of the broad range of dishes our party of four selected. From the home made bresaola and prize winning sausage, to the Greek salad and outstanding feta cheese, to the lasagna; each dish was of the finest ingredients, cooked to perfection and presented with flair. The staff were welcoming and helpful, but the decor was tired and the ambiance belied and detracted from the food experience. A pity because, at modest cost, The Swan Inn could present the epitome of an English pub.

2  Thank 22club58
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Called in on Sunday lunchtime on a whim. Unfortunately we ordered just after a large party and so the 40mim+ wait for the starters to arrive wasn't entirely unexpected.

Fairly extensive italian slanted menu from blackboard. Starters were damn good, but unfortunately one of the main courses was inedible - gammon steak that was more like a heavily salted chunk of pork that my wife concluded was a bit "high". It was taken off the bill on complaining but why oh why do staff under these circumstances insist there was nothing wrong with the meal?

Anyway, the overall ambience and style of the place and the quality of some of the dishes demands that it be given a second chance, and so will try it again in a week or two.

1  Thank pacraggs
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Swan at the end of September. We were cheerily greeted by the landlord and shown to Room 1, which was fine but a bit chilly. He said that they had not put on the heating yet so my wife asked if there was any other type of heater he could give us. He chose to ignore the request and informed us that he slept with the window open, adding ‘we’re in the country here’, which we found rather patronizing. Anyway, the room was cold when we got back that night and no heater had been provided.

We had paid £105 for the superior room which was a decent size but rather piney and dated. My wife was not impressed by the large black stain around the shower base. That said, we spent a comfortable night. Couldn’t pick up the wifi signal but that didn’t matter as the password had not been left in the room.

Breakfast was tasty.

By the way, we live in the country too.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ns247
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here for a week recently while working in the area.
From the very start I received a warm welcome and was made feel at home.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
Also the locals who drink at the bar were very bubbly and chatty and I had a good laugh with them during my stay.
My room was pretty comfortable and was what you would expect from a modern hotel.
Breakfast was lovely and I left every morning stuffed!!
One morning the chef prepared sandwiches for me because I had to leave earlier than breakfast time..Not many places would do that for you
Regarding the evening meals, I had a meal there 2 evenings and I have to say it was lovely. My only criticism was that it was a little overpriced,,but seeing as it is organic food, maybe it deserves that extra couple of pound.
All in all, a fantastic place to stay

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!