“Lovely New Year's Eve”

Don Beni
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Crowthorne
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: THIS IS THE WORST iTALIAN FOOD i HAVE EVER HAD TO SWALLOW. tHEY CANNOT EVEN MAKE A SIMPLE PASTA DISH AND WHEN i LEFT 75% OF IT THEY DIDNT EVEN HAVE DECENCY TO ASK IF THERE WAS A PROBLEM. MY FELLOW DINER LEFT 80% OF HERS. STILL NO COMMENT. NEVER AGAIN. B THOMPSON
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Lovely New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We hadn't been to our local Italian restaurant for a little while, and when we booked for New Year's Eve we thought we would have a reasonable meal - as when mass catering on occasions like this restaurants aren't usually at their best. We ate our words - a really delicious meal, good service and fun atmosphere, and we left wondering why we don't visit more often.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank KandC_Crowthorne_UK

Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Needs a new chef”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have been to this restaurant many times over the years and it is currently not up to scratch. We have always found the waiters friendly and attentive but for the last two visits at best I would say they were indifferent. The food - well I had a seafood risotto with crunchy onions and tasteless seafood. My husband had stodgy (or is that dodgy) tortellini. If an Italian restaurant can't get these staples right there is not much hope for the rest of the menu is there?

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Z417
Reading, United Kingdom
“Size of the menu is the only above average thing here.”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We didn't do well with our seats, which were right by the door. On a cold night we were chilly every time the door opened, and with the tables so closely packed in, there was no real opportunity to move any further away. Further annoyance was being hit by people trying to walk past.

The menu is very extensive and not too badly priced if you stick to the pizzas. The pizzas were ok, but nothing special. Like most Italians these days the drinks were vastly over-priced.The complementary bread-sticks were a nice idea, but not really enough to lift the overall score above average.

Average is often taken as an insult. It's not meant as one here, but it really is an average restaurant. There's better in the area, but I'm sure you could find worse too.

• Visited October 2012
Berkshire, UK
“Sorry but it is not Italian food”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I need to say that on my opinion the only items which are ok on the menu of Don Beni in general are the pizzas. All the rest is not Italian at all. We had pizzas this time as we tried pastas and seafood before and they were awful. We did not have any other restaurant choice in the area apart from indian or chinese so we decided to go to Don Beni for an easy pizza. I find the price a bit high for the quality of food they serve. Everything is covered in sauce and the taste is bland. I would not go again there.

1 Thank gt67-berkshire
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
“A very poor experience”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This used to be a favourite restaurant of ours. We hadn't been for a while but sadly regret going back. No friendly welcome, no atmosphere and absolutely awful food, but at above average prices. The starter dishes were adequate, but lacked real quality. However, both my wife and I selected what is their most expensive dish of seafood. Within the dish were mussels, sadly out of approximately 20 mussels, 7 were closed and thus unfit for consumption. When I asked how fresh the mussels were, I received no comment but some minutes later we were brought a bowl of mussels which I didn't really want and to make matters worse, two of this batch were also closed. Serving unopened mussels is like serving raw meat in my book and clearly indicates questionable attention to quality by the "chef" and the freshness of what is being served.

All in all this was a very poor experience and We will never go back. I do not recommend this restaurant.