“Overpriced and underwhelmed...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Cookham Dean B&B and Inns
london
“Overpriced and underwhelmed...”
Reviewed September 27, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 1 night last year.It was awful.It had been billed as bijou but our room was tiny....tiny bed ,tiny bathroom and unfriendly staff.During breakfast the kitchen staff were having a loud fight..complete with loud swearing which we could hear in the breakfast room . it was really expensive for what it was.I wrote to complain and got no response.avoid!

1 Thank clez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2006

We went there for Sunday lunch (for my birthday) and everyone had a lovely meal. The service was attentive and prompt and catered for disparate tastes ie. One veg, one pescitarian, three children and the rest were people who know food.

The grounds are lovely, space for the children to run around and for us to sit outside, we sat in the conservatory which was just right for a group of ten.

We weren't hurried at all and it is a place I would thoroughly recommend.

Again I can't praise the staff highly enough.

Stayed September 2006
Essex
Reviewed September 5, 2006

My boyfriend and I have returned from a weekend away at The Inn on the Green. We found it absolutely splendid. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very polite receptionist. She showed us to our room which was very nice (Room No. 2). We decided to have a drink at the bar which was very cosy/relaxed.

I would recommend that you book into the restaurant if you are staying there. There only seems to be two pubs nearby where you can eat. The food in the restaurant was excellent. I would say the food was equivalent to a very nice London restaurant. Even breakfast in the morning was a culinary delight. I opted for haddock and poached egg which I would recommend. This is included in the price of the room.

Overall this was a very nice quaint hotel in a small village with very polite staff. If you want to visit somewhere I would recommend Windsor which is only about a 10 minute drive.

• Liked — Restaurant
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Took my girlfriend here as a surprise birthday treat and proposed to her at dinner in between first and second courses ! We stayed in room 9 which is a good size and comfortable. We were given a warm welcome, food was above average (which it should be for the price) We ate outside in a type of marque and the tables are very nicely spread out, insuring privacy. The service was excellant and they even let us use the hot tub after dinner at around midnight (notice said only use until 10 p.m). Breakfast is served until 11a.m - big bonus ! Very surprised someone had written a review stating "poor breakfast" I am very picky and the coffee was superb as was the full english, the only critsism was the O.J was not up to much. Current owners leaving in Sept - lets hope the new arrivals keep up the good work.

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — Tiles around bath poorly finished
Londond
Reviewed August 8, 2006

Having booked the Inn on the Green through their website, my husband and I were very much looking forward to enjoying a romantic anniversary night. Ariving at the hotel all seemed perfect - the room was as pictured, the service was friendly and the food pleasant if not outstanding. The next morning when I cam to check out I noticed that the published rack rate was £20 less than I had paid by booking online. When I complained about this I was told that I had to pay a £20 booking fee because I had booked online as this service was not managed from the hotel. When I stated that I had called the hotel shortly after making the booking to check that this was the best rate they said that they were not allowed to disclose the site booking fee. After 10 minutes of discussion they grudgingly refunded me half the booking fee. When I phoned to complain the following week about the lack of clarity around this my complaint was dismissed and I was told to write a letter if I wanted to take it further. Let future buyers beware - needless to say, my husband and I will not be visiting again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Emmahj

Travelers are raving about these Cookham Dean hotels

london England
Reviewed August 5, 2006

We had a great weekend here. The food was amazing and our room really cosy and tasteful but not like a big hotel. We had fun in the hot tub before dinner and the staff were really friendly and helpful. Highly recommded.

Mandy Richardson

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 2, 2005

I stayed here with my boyfriend for my birthday, we had a themed room with bath in the room and it was gorgeous! The food was exceptional and the staff are so friendly, the area itself is really pretty and worth a walk around and drink in the little local pub! I'd stay here again and it's my favourite hotel in the UK so far!

Stayed May 2005
#1 of 1 in Hurley
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to Sanctum on the Green? Share your experiences!